Devcurmudgeon - ALO - (multi-looper with BPM sync)

Thanks. Ok, that is what I thought.

What I like with ALO is the 5 loops that one can start/stop individually. Plus it’s got that midi input. It would be great to have an equivalent whose different loops are synchronised with the initial one.

Ah, ok - that would be useful, i agree. How would we tell alo how long to make the first loop?

What about toggling any other loop ? Or simply adding an extra control (not everyone would use it anyway) ?

1 Like

Hi @acunha ,
The Alo plugin is available for the Mod Duo X, but when I turn it on, no sound is coming out of it.
I know the plugin is in beta, I was wondering, would you be the one that rebuilt it for the Mod Duo X, and then does it mean it’s something to be fixed within the plugin (although it is perfectly working with the Mod Duo) ?
Thanks (hope you are the right person to reach, else sorry…)
Edit: problem has been solved, I was probably missing the right set up for the global tempo…

3 Likes

Hi leDamien
I don’t have a Duo X, so i can’t test it, but to be clear… ALO only works when global BPM is running.

Also ALO doesn’t pass its input through to output… so its only output is loops, when they are recorded and active.

1 Like

Hi @devcurmudgeon !
Thanks so much for this plugin, I use it so much with the Mod Duo, by the way if you have a patreon or something else for me to show appreciation, that would be great pleasure.

Yes that’s good point, I did not check that before posting :blush: I think it’s on (see picture, the Mod Duo X looks different from what I remember of the Mod Duo).

Just to be clear: the direct guitar goes through (bypass like) when the power on the effect is off (the little red button is dark), but then nothing goes out (i.e. even bypass) when I turn the effect on.

Hi @leDamien
thanks for your encouraging comments.

the direct signal is not passed through when ALO is on - that’s expected behaviour (for me at least :-)). ALO should only output loops, once loops are recorded and active. if you want the direct it’s easy to wire the input straight through in parallel.

if you put an x42 step sequencer on your board, you’ll be able to see for sure if global bpm is running, since it will visibly cycle through the steps.

Good point,
I just did that, with the x42 Sequencer, Set it up to Hot Sync, and when I change the global temp, it shows up the sequencer…

So it’s something else … :frowning:
and it’s just me… It really have been me, because I can make it work. Not sure what I missed initially, but definitely linked to that Global Tempo once again.

Thanks again @devcurmudgeon !!!

@leDamien I’m glad you got it working. In the meantime I’ve been listening to some of your stuff at https://soundcloud.com/organicsbrothers … excellent!

1 Like

Hi @devcurmudgeon,
as always using a lot the Alo :smiley:
I was wondering about two features that would be useful for me, and wondering if it would make sense to add them.

• sometimes I’m not sure if I already have a loop stored, so pressing the button would either record a new loop, or play the one stored (very different result). A way to help could be to have an additional color: blue -> loop not playing but being stored
  • when recording a loop, it could be nice to know visually when the recording is finished (I use several ALOs with different bars settings), for example: red when recording, and back to green once it’s playing
3 Likes

Those are great ideas @leDamien . I’ll take a look at the code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh thanks a lot for considering :smiley:

If I may add two little details, it might also be interesting to, but maybe not of general use:

• when recording is engaged, it only starts when the signal is above the signal, that might be something interesting to see (different red color ?) - sometimes I trigger the recording while preparing to play the loop (so many loops I do not trigger them all by foot)
  • Have a visual queue of when the loop is looping. When a loop is turned off, it goes up until its end before disappearing, it would be interesting to have a visual queue of the start, so that when turning it off you know it might run almost fully.

I starred the github directory, as not doing any C or sound manipulation, I’m really clueless on how I could help on that front… :frowning:

3 Likes

hi there, using alo, but somehow the deleting of loops doesnt work. do you push the recording button two times or 4 times, so the button lit up two times in 1 sec.? also some weird behaivior, when changing the loop length. sometimes it doesnt reset the loop length.
Maybe im just using it wrongly. More visual feedback and stereo would be awesome!
Thank you very much!

Hi nomilian,
deleting a loop should happen on two hits of the button within one second - so

• if the loop is off, hit the button so light goes on + off, the loop should be deleted
  • if the loop is playing, hit the button so light goes off + on - the loop should be deleted and re-armed for recording

You’re not the first to ask for stereo - I should look into that. What kind of visual feedback are you thinking of?

Thank you for your quick response and you suggestion!
I need to try your suggestions again. Maybe my clock is just not tight enough. I dont know. It seemed to behave just a little inconsistent.

I think it has been mentioned before, but some people seem to be familiar with the way ableton plays and records loops:
you press record button and it switches into an armed recording state, which is visualizied by a red blinking light.
when the next 1 in the set loop length comes around, it changes to recording state, signaled by a constant red light.
press record button again to stop recording as soon as the loop length or the set number of bars/devisions is reached. this duration is again signaled by a red flashing light.
as soon as it stopps recording it direclty plays it back, which is indicated by a green constant light. this is how ableton behaves, but i guess its down to preference.
when you press the button again it is preparing to stop the recorded loop the next time it finishes it and this is indicated by a green flashing light.
just for good cause, when something is recorded and nothing is being played, just push the button and it arms this track. It will start playing the loop as soon as the next 1 of the loop length is hit. it showes this also by a blinking green light.

Hope that has made sense. If not, I happy to talk about different ideas.

modduoX
I was unsuccessful making it work with external midi sync, my guess is the amount of jitter.
Also the bars functionality seems to be stuck at 1 bar
@devcurmudgeon

@dsorce yup unfortunately external midi sync drifts with any jitter at all, making it pretty much unusable - it should be fixable at some point - need to get my brain back into coding mode…

On the other hand sync using Ableton mode definitely works, if your other devices support that.

The bars parameter changes only take effect after a reset, which is triggered either by stop/start of global BPM, or a tempo change.

In other news, latest master of ALO is now stereo, with optional click functionality… hopefully it will be merged into beta plugins soon

2 Likes

Hello! I am a new Duo X user. I wanted to thank you for your looper! I’m used to using the rc30 in concert and your looper is very practical. I have a question related to the clock to synchronize, is there a way to silence the click or to lower the volume? Thank you very much and sorry for my English …

1 Like

@Ariel please check the parameters for the click in ALO settings - you can adjust its volume from 0 (silent) to 10 (maximum)

3 Likes