Arbitrary signal routing - the unsung hero of the Duo?

Hi all, I was recently having an interesting discussion about how the Duo stacks up against more mainstream digital multi-effects boxes such as the Line6 HX Effects, and it became clear to me that even very experienced users of many of these boxes who have tried the Duo won’t necessarily realise and appreciate how its signal routing is way better than most, if not all, its rivals. The ability to make any combination of:

• utility effects like the 2-way switchbox, ToggleSwitch4, CrossOver3
  • the ability to merge multiple outputs into the same input
  • unlimited parallel signal paths (well, only limited by available CPU)

surely puts it above many others in its class, and gives rise to innovative pedalboards, e.g.

Can rivals such as the Kempers / Fractals / HX etc. do this?

I really think this aspect of the Duo is way under-marketed. @MOD_Ronny perhaps you could consider making some YouTube videos which explain this?

By the way, if you want to see the full Duo vs. Line6 HX Effects discussion, I’ve linked it from Comparing the Duo with its rivals.

6 Likes

Thanks @aspiers. I love your ideas. @Adriano what do you think?

1 Like

Totally agreed!
We have stressed the routing factors in our last series of videos.

As we have new product launches coming up, those are definitely in the production pipeline.

@aspiers , if you and other MOD users would like to get involved in conceptualizing some of these content pieces we would also be very happy. Let’s talk about it?

2 Likes

the flexibility of the signal path is absolutely the secret weapon of the duo! The plugins sound great and amazing routing would be useless if you were routing a terrible sounding signal around, but it’s the ability to run many parallel/split/recombinant audio paths that makes it so magical :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is a pedalboard I created a while back for my NS/Stick. It’s pretty complicated…
I made a video about it too.
Splits and Blends Galore! Even a studio style Aux Sends for delay and reverb.

4 Likes

Sure! Also definitely worth including in the conversation the users who have created the pedalboards mentioned above and any others with complex routing.

Just saw this now - would love to talk about Swell Boost, which has gone through several iterations since I first made this. I have since added a looper and have tried other configurations with my original design. Let me know how I can help!

3 Likes

Glad to know JEL. That sounds already like an awesome first step!
@Camille will get in contact with you early next week to see how to make it happen. Sounds good?

2 Likes

Sure - happy to help in any way

3 Likes

Hi there!
Camille from marketing here.

I think it definitely would be great to have more content touching on that aspect of the Duo, as it really makes it stand out from other devices out there.

In my opinion, depending on how much time you guys would be willing and able to dedicate into this, writing blogposts would be the best way to conceptualise this content.

If you have other ideas on how you’d like to contribute, anything is more than welcome!
Really lovely to see so much enthusiasm. :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think.
Cheers!

4 Likes

From my perspective (and I suspect it’s probably the same for others), I don’t have time to generate marketing material on behalf of MOD (well, not unless it was paid work - TBH I think it’s probably a bit unrealistic to expect people to help you with marketing for free :wink: ) - but I would be happy to answer questions about (say) what I love about the device and the company, and for those answers to be used in whatever promotional context MOD sees fit. In other words I think MOD would need to drive the initiative here and do as much of the heavy lifting as possible.

Having said that, I suspect you’d get way better quotes / marketing nuggets out of the more experienced, heavier users on here (@solobasssteve, @JEL, and @Skydiver are obvious examples) than from me, since at the moment I’m sadly too busy to be using my Duo much …

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I wish you all the best - it’s a great company and great technology and I would love to see it grow from strength to strength!

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer!

I think the main goal here was more to collect feedback and testimonials about certain things that our community has been loving and, therefore, would be enthusiastic to talk about (as @JEL mentioned above). My previous post was merely about trying to see where you guys stand as in how much you’d like to contribute to that, not to try and get free marketing material :smiley: I’m sorry if this is how this came across, it really wasn’t meant that way. The MOD community is one of the pillars of our company, therefore it seems only fair to have these kinds of dialogues.

I’m thinking of writing a blogpost of some sort, perhaps a “best of” or “most loved” plugins or Pedalboards voted by the community. I would also like to write something about the more unknown features of the Duo, such as arbitrary signal routing etc. For this, I would need to ask to anyone who’d be interested in contributing to write a small paragraph about your own “unconventional” Duo uses.

Let me know if that sounds like something :slight_smile:
Wishing you all a great day/evening.

Best,
Camille

4 Likes

Absolutely :slight_smile: No need for any apology either. Yes one of the truly great things about MOD is how it values its community :slight_smile: I agree blog posts would be great.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

So I’ve thought of three different blogpost topics which all require your opinions! :slight_smile:

1 - Unconventional/unknown Duo uses
Each person willing to take part writes a small paragraph on the matter, describing what their favorite unconventional Duo use is, and why.

2 - Top favorite Duo features
Members of the MOD Community write something short about what their favorite thing about the Duo is.

3 - Favorite plugins
Members of the MOD Community tell us what their favorite plugins are, and why.

If you guys are still willing to pitch in, it would be more than appreciated. :slight_smile:

As always, thanks for your time and I wish you all a great day.

Best,
Camille