Arduino Shield disconnects

Hi All,

I’ve been having fun building my own foot controller (4 analogue ins and 4 footswitches) but my enthusiasm has stalled somewhat because I find that the device intermittently disconnects from the MOD.

I’ve had trouble trying to pin it down. First of all I blamed my dodgy coding but I’ve tried it with the simplest examples from your github page (single switch and single pot) and they did it too.

It seemed to get better with a shorter, shielded cat5 cable (I went through about 4).

Then I wondered if the wires going to my various actuators could be picking up stray radio waves and causing problems, so I kept them short, twisted them and put capacitors on the board to try to filter any unwanted signals out.

Things definitely seem to have improved but the problem hasn’t gone away.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this trouble?

Any suggestions for fixes?

Thanks

Ian

1 Like

i too have/had/maybe still have that problem.
At a point i gave up without bothering anyone, because i didn’t have the time to deal with it anymore. But i’ll try again tomorrow and come back to you.

Edit: didn’t find the time today. Will code the device from scratch (up-to-date library etc), and try to reproduce. Maybe tomorrow. I’ll try :wink:

1 Like

I really don’t think this is a hardware issue.

It is most likely to be something related to the Arduino library. Please let us know which library version you are using and if you don’t mind please share your code too, it would help to debug.

Thanks Ricardo, I was pretty sure I was using 1.5 as I didn’t start developing until December. However I originally had trouble not being able to read labels (you sorted me out in the end) and in trying to fix it may have ended up downloading the latest (possibly unstable) post 1.5 source code rather than the 1.5 zip.

So I’ve gone back to square one; re-downloading 1.5 and rebuilding it all on my desktop machine using Visual Studio 2017 with vMicro. So far so good!

The only thing I’ve noticed is that when I include ControlChain.h I can no longer run in debug mode - only release. If I try to debug I get the following error:

Error linking for board Arduino/Genuino Uno
HardwareSerial0.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): In function Serial
Debug build failed for project ‘IRModController’
(.text+0x0)
: multiple definition of __vector_18
ReUART.cpp.o (symbol from plugin)*: (.text+0x0): first defined here

collect2.exe*: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Is that a known issue?

Is this the right forum for these kind of questions?

Thanks

Ian

Quick follow-up: I think some of my problems were to do with being too ambitious with what I was trying to do with an arduino UNO (more than 4 controls, display etc) and was running out of resources.

Hoping the DUE will fix that…

Thanks for all your hard work and taking time out to respond to daft questions from the likes of me!

2 Likes