Hey Guys! So I have made some progress… Long story, but I decided from the start I wanted to build my project using micropython. Initially I tried to integrate the control chain C library (which is really well written, BTW!) directly and access it from Python. I had this working with a custom build of micropython to properly integrate it, but after struggling (with micropython) trying to break it out into a separate loadable module I decided to just port the whole thing to pure micropython. The result (so far, as it is not complete) is available on Github.
But after a few late nights, handshaking is working and it shows up in the UI!
Now to get assignments and updates working!
For now this is running on an STM32 development board, but eventually this could easily be run on any of the many Adafruit boards that support micropython with an appropriate shield to add the RS485 circuitry and ethernet jacks.
I’ll keep you posted on my progress.