Bluetooth issue

@jon @falkTX
Well I have done all test I could with 3 android devices.
I know how to use bluetooth with mod devices because before the mod duo x I had a Mod Duo and used it with bluetooth connection with all my android devices.
But with this Mod Duo X I never had the change to make it work.
The possibility to edit a pedalboard or save snapshot with a android device is for me what make me choose a Mod Device. If I know I couldn’t do it I would never bought a Mod Device. Because editing on the go is the first thing I wait from a such device.

So for my testing I tried two bluetooth V4 dongle.
For each android device I switch off Wifi and 4G internet so the device has only bluetooth connected.

With my old nvidia tablet I could first connect bluetooth to Mod Duo X but couldn’t check internet acces thru bluetooth device.

I tried again and then I simply couldn’t connect to Mod Duo X bluetooth

With my phone, a Crosscall action X3 android device, I can connect to Mod Duo X bluetooth but couldn’t check the box to use internet thru this bluetooth connection.

With my samsung S4 tablet I can connect to Mod Duo X bluetooth but the option for this bluetooth connection is empty! No box to check!

All these devices were perfectly working in bluetooth with the Mod Duo, not with this Mod Duo X.

So I would like to know if someone in Mod team or in user group can use his Mod Duo X with bluetooth and a android device???

That’s a shame that Mod Duo X , the bigger Mod Device cannot be used with a android device or have a minimum possibilities to save edit snapshot like Dwarf does. I was really hoping to be able to edit a pedalboard without using my computer and not be dependent of it with this Mod Duo X.
Did I made the wrong choice?
It’s up to you mod team to show me I didn’t. Could you solve this issue?

Hi, I have same problem with Dwarf and 5.0 bluetooth dongle which works perfectly with Apple devices. No luck with other Android devices (different versions and vendors).

1 Like

I know bluetooth V5 have issue with any android. But bluetooth V4 shouldn’t be a problem.
Did you tried with a V4 bluetooth dongle? It should solve your problem with your Mod Dwarf.
Mod Duo X have another issue that Mod team seem to not take into account because I think only few Mod duo X owners want to use a android tablet to edit pedalboard. Perhaps most users connect their Mod Duo X to a computer.

2 Likes

I use an iPad for everything. I know for a fact my BT5 dongle doesn’t work :confused:

However my BT4 dongle works great.

I’ve had to pull my dwarf out for the time being until I can find another device to access the dwarf gui while I’m working with the MDX on my iPad.

Unfortunately I can only access one USB port on my iPad, and that’s where my audio interface connects to record. So iPad has to be BT, and the dwarf has to have USB to access the gui.

1 Like

I do this quite often. With an old HP android running Android version 4.4.2.
Even the other day needed to to some adjustments on the go really fast (something went wrong in a rehearsal) and I just swapped the dongle from the Dwarf to the DuoX and it was super fast to get it working.

Again, I feel really unlikely that this issue is related to the MOD DuoX and not with the dongle and/or tablets - but @falkTX may have a different opinion. Have you tried even something like a factory reset on the tablet(s) or so?

This is a pretty high state assumption and not accurate. The Bluetooth system in all the devices is pretty much the same. That’s even why we recommend using Bluetooth 4 dongles because Bluetooth 5 is not tested enough. If the function was not working and tested why should we make it available on the MOD DuoX at all (?!).
I already successfully used either MOD Duo, MOD DuoX and MOD Dwarf with the Android device that I mentioned above and using 2 pretty cheap Bluetooth dongles. One that I got from eBay and another that was laying around in the office.

thanks @jon . So finally after 8 months I started this thread, I have a answer : Someone use bluettoth with Mod Duo X and the last update! :pray:
I’m happy to know that it works.
I didn’t try a factory reset of all my android devices. I could understand it doesn’t work with one android device, but with 3, and in fact 4 android devices because I tested another android tablet today, is it possible?
So do you consider this issue is caused by my Mod Duo X? And so what should I do?

You’re welcome.

Well…you never really asked the question directly if someone else uses the MOD DuoX with Bluetooth. You reported that in your case it was not working and asked for help. Also, 8 months ago the last update was another one :wink:

That is indeed what makes it feel so strange to me. Possible it is. Unlikely as well. But maybe there’s a common app or settings that you are sharing between all devices that are messing up the system. That option to allow internet access not available looks really weird to me.

To be honest, I don’t consider that it is. But we are investigating.

@jon
I told that all my android devices where working in bluetooth with the Mod Duo just before I bought the Mod Duo X. Even my old nvidia tablet with a old modified android 4.
And since this date I regulary try bluetooth to see if things have changed.

@jon
I have something…
I just tried a third bluetoth dongle that I thought I have never test again, and tried to connect with my samsung S4 tablet.
Now I have the check box option to use internet with bluetooth device on the samsung tablet ! :smiley:

But when I check it it gives me a connection error “connection error, Activate Bluetooth modem on Mod Duo X3-0115”

:pleading_face:

1 Like

I have been meaning to post here, but wanted to do some tests before hand.
Didnt do those tests yet, but just so you know, I am watching :slight_smile:

Only have 1 device I can test this with though, and it is quite the old android version (6).

2 Likes

I just tried this bluetooth dongle with my nvidia tablet with android v4 so your old android v6 shouldn’t be a problem. The result is different of what I get with the other bluetooth dongle, but I still can’t connect .

Traduction:
“connection error. Is the bluetooth connection shared on this device?”

It seams normal that your tablet detect an error connecting to internet, because there is no internet on the modDevice, so the tablet can’t ping the google servers (android does that to check the internet connection)

What happen if you cross “Accès internet” box and go to 192.168.50.1 ?

1 Like

Well, no that’s not normal I couldn’t check this box.
All Android devices refuse me o check this box.
Again I’m not new with bluetooth and Mod Devices. I used bluetooth with my previous Mod Duo and it was perfectly working with all android devices I have at home. And since I have this Mod Duo X I can’t do the same, nothing have change except the Mod Devices product.

This may sound a silly question, but have you tried to do it lately with you MOD Duo? Are you some how able to re-try your “old setup”?

Hi @jon
Thanks for your help.
I have sold the Mod Duo 1 month after buying the Mod Duo X.
The Mod Duo was perfectly working with bluetooth.
First I kept the same bluetooth dongle and since the day one I’ve never been able to make the bluetooth work on the Mod Duo X.
Since I tried 3 bluetooth dongle and each one give me different result but none of them work.
The best results I have are with the bluetooth dongle I used with the Mod Duo.

But the input one have an issue too. It makes a lot of noise.
Input 2 is working.
In addition since few weeks I have random click in the sound. Yet the sound level is normal (-10dfs), the input is not clipping, neither does the output.
I noticed that CPU use is randomly hight around 78% until Ioad the same pedalboard again. Sometimes it’s normal around 50%, sometime all is fine, no click no heavy cpu use.
I think there’s a problem with this unit or perhaps the last version have issue with Mod Duo X.
For the moment I’m little tired to get around issues.
So I was thinking buying a new pedalboard, a Helix I think, send you back this Muo Duo X with the 2 bluetooth dongle I had so you can look at it, repair it and send me back when it will be repaired.

I asked about the Duo because that would be an awesome way to verify if the issue is not caused by something on the tablets/dongle side (one update, etc). Like this is still hard for us to troubleshoot.

We are getting a bit out of the topic here. Anyway, you wrote to the support about this some time ago, right? What happened? Did you answer my last email or I was the one that went silent? If it was on my side, I’m really sorry. I spotted some time ago that in some tickets users followed up, but I was not notified, so I’ve been searching for those. Anyway, I would say that probably there is the best place for us to follow up on these issues. Even because I start feeling that the best is to recall your device and give it a full scope test on our side.

Exactly, the CPU is the reason for the clicks. Are you using some beta plugins or have you added some plugins specific when this started?

I’m really sorry for this. As you already understood this is not a common issue. @falkTX is investigating, but we are not really being able to replicate it which makes things harded.

1 Like

@jon

Hi, thanks for your replie.
Today all is working perfectly exept bluetooth.
I sometimes still have the first Mod Foofswitch that loose connection but I’m used to it.
Some effect have issue in my pedalboard but I’ll post about that in the right place.
I finally found that audio click are due to my phones amplifyer that sudently doesn’t support Mod Duo X output level! I think it’sbroken.
I’ m sorry to put charge on the Mod Duo X.
For the moment the most problematic issue is bluetooth.

1 Like

I’m really glad that you sorted out most.

This is a really intriguing issue and we are trying to understand what is causing it.
I’m running out of ideas and may start ridiculous on my troubleshooting requests or even repeating myself…something popping up on my mind right now: have you tried to Bluetooth connect to a computer? Using the same dongle(s). Could you try that and let us know the results?

No, I have never tried!
I’ll do it as soon as I can.

1 Like