Chow - Centaur

Took some time, but ChowCentaur is now in beta!
EDIT: it was moved to stable on 2023-02-23

Finally got a setup with mod-plugin-builder that can easily build some of the newer JUCE-based plugins.

With some little attention, this could already be a good plugin, I think it just needs:

1. a gui, in my opinion could even be one of the generic mod-sdk templates
  2. bypass parameter integrated as lv2:enabled, for the on/off switch from MOD
  3. fix mono parameter switch causing xruns (that will need to be done by @chowdsp)
  4. description and category

The other plugins from @chowdsp can likely be handled in a similar fashion soon.

Testing / feedback is welcome.

15 Likes

A brief A/B against a Wampler Tumnus reveals… the Chow Centaur sounds really good. Thanks for getting that into Beta, @falkTX !

5 Likes

this is a great and stuff I was hoping for.
Next additon the BYOD - pretty please.

1 Like

I would start a new thread for the plugins that are in beta and need help.

4 Likes

How would you even use BYOD? I don’t see any easy/trivial way to create a gui that can create BYOD patches inside MOD.

oh great! thank you

I tested the plugin, it works great, thank you!

I have nothing more to add to your list.

3 Likes

started working on the gui of the Chow Centaur

I know these guitar pedal plugins can easily be made with the stock mod-sdk but again wanted a non pixel based alignment. These are all just rough sketches - more or less.

I think they all have their pros and cons.

traditional: looks the most inspiring. Put a more touchscreen friendly switch on it that also acts as the led.

compact: best of both worlds, or in the middle of nowhere - im undescided ^^

mini: ableton style super effecient but not very catchy,

7 Likes

I love the first one because it gives you the feel of the Klon without being a clone of it. I know the skeuomorphic debate rages on, but honestly the first one just lets you glance at a pedalboard and know what you’re in for.

4 Likes

+1 for the first and the second version. If you decide to go with the first one, using a darker yellow and brownish knobs to make it look closer to the original, would be good. In any case, great initiative.

2 Likes

First one is pretty. Design wise the whole thing “fits” better (even though I agree we don’t necessarily need skeuomorphic designs).

1 Like

I like the knobs, art, label and buttons of this one

And I like the form factor of this one because it’s more similar to the layout of the original pedal (3 knobs in a line) and because it’s a bit more compact

I would like to see that form factor with style from the first one I think

I agree maybe a more goldish kind of colour would be appropriate

3 Likes

I’m especially loving the big button/indicator! I often find myself having a hard time seeing the little LEDs on other plugins when zoomed out on a pedalboard. And to make things worse, there are some plugins like Gaffa where the off LED is red when off and brighter/whiter when on and it constantly confuses me! Your button/indicator combo is so easy to see AND click!

4 Likes

I vote this way. design of #1 with form factor of #2 and a darker gold would be perfect! Excellent work!

2 Likes

same here. Would be really nice to have some sort of greyed out effect for disabled plugins.

2 Likes

thanks - there you go. Change some colors and moved the brand up. It’s not that compact anymore.

9 Likes

I love it. I think this one has better tone :stuck_out_tongue: Or maybe “tone is in the centaur”?

5 Likes

Nice work! looking at the at next to the StarChild, I feel like you could reduce the scale of the whole thing a bit. The knobs look a fair bit bigger

I agree. I was thinking footswitches with LED rings would be cool for GUIs. That way it makes it a lot clearer but it still somewhat represents a footswitch. Like this type

EDIT: I think another reason that led me to thinking this kind of footswitch might be nice is because the rectangular button may not be as obviouse that it’s a button

4 Likes

This is a very quick and dirty photoshop just to illustrate the kinda thing I was thinking

You could make the footswitch look nicer it’s just a mockup. I figure with the LED indicator arround it that can also be part of the clickable area so it’s a bit bigger for touch screens, a bit clearer to see than the old footswitch and separate LED, but also still looks like a footswitch like those on the HX Stomp etc

I also scaled the whole thing down a bit

6 Likes

They are. i’ll have to check if I can still turn the knobs with a touchscreen when zoomed out.

right.That might be confusing - maybe more in the style of a boss pedal just to keep the larger footprint. for touchscreen. It might even be easier to treat the whole row as footswitch but keep the image as a footswitch.

3 Likes