CPU meter

(Web GUI) Is it possible to optionally (enabled/disabled) display a time measurement for each .lv2 plugin? Just like in vcvrack.

2 Likes

MOD Duo - Unexplained high CPU load depending on audio routing
This uses extra CPU power.

we do not have that option, the “cpu load” is a global one, not per plugin.
as your link even says, calculating this takes some cpu time as well. so while it could be useful at times, it has a major drawback

Yes, with the global CPU display you can detect possible CPU hungry plugins. I thought it would be helpful to have this optionally displayed for each plugin. But this is at the expense of the CPU.
As it is it is well solved.
(That’s why I archived it in my previous post as a reminder. I often forget some things).

1 Like

I’m curious about this as well. The global CPU meter is great to know when you hit your limits, but when you need to scale back it would be good to know which plug-ins use more or less CPU.

I understand that calculating this per plug-in would use CPU, but I don’t think it needs to be a real time thing which constantly runs. There should be a process which you can run in the browser, that audits your plug-in CPU values and then you can figure out where to edit things. I’m often surprised at how some simple plug-ins use more CPU than others which seem more complex. I am always trying to figure out how to get the biggest bang for my buck and where to compromise .

I always wonder about reducing parallel signal paths, vs less direct controls, etc. etc.

6 Likes

If I had to implement it, I would probably make some automated tests for each plugin and add it in the description: “Consumes 4% CPU and 66MB RAM on a DuoX when used in Stereo, 3% and 40MB in Mono, respectively”.

1 Like

What I will do, I think, when I get my Dwarf, is examine each plugin in a pedalboard that is using a lot of CPU and note what is using what. After a while of playing around I reckon it will become obvious to you which ones tend to use more, and you can check either using a plugin on it’s own, or by removing it from the pedalboard (or just turning it off) and see what is a heavy user and what is not. I don’t think you need exact figures, just a “low” “medium” “high” value.

It’s not just individual plugins that determine the load of course, also very much how you are using them within the overall dsp graph.

This stuff is very tricky to get right and I don’t blame any plugin-host to not want to deal with such arbitrary metrics :stuck_out_tongue:

As a general rule most time-based effects use a lot of resources, so think advanced delays and reverbs. Ones that are stereo more so of course.

3 Likes

oh yes, how you use them is important. There are some plug-ins where I have 6 stereo feeds going into them, and this will double their CPU hit over just using one feed. So finding ways to combine those feeds before they hit the plug-in reduces CPU. Because I have no way to validate the CPU of each plug-in within context of the pedalboard, I’m coming up with weird conventions that may or may not make sense!