Datsounds - OB-Xd

Of course not! If anything, I worry that I’m always being too opinionated. You guys are seriously all great and there is never any harm taken on my side. We evaluate the ideas not the people :wink:

I agree, the new knobs look much better and I agree the old font is maybe easier to read, and the iconography. I think a new design that resembles the old design more but with nicer knobs and stuff would be ideal!

@spunktsch 's design can for sure be used. Maybe a middle ground is the way forward

5 Likes

I changed a few things and assigned most of the knobs (to the right parameters I hope)

Pushed it to my github if anyone wants to try it out. Just connect (root@192.168.51.1) with WinScp and copy the folder to /root/.lv2/Obxd.lv2

10 Likes

Hello @spunktsch Sebastian,

it looks very nice and I like the OB-Xd letters to the left.

I like that you went for the same spacing of the voice variation parameters like the voice pan knobs and that you didn’t abbreviate all parameter names.

Thank you for your work!

Greetings and God bless, Marius

3 Likes

This is even better than the last! :+1: :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

I agree, I think it’s improved a lot! Nice work. I have some more feedback that I’ll list tomorrow if you’re interested

4 Likes

Looks nice! I think somehow I had to update to the latest 1.12RC? didn’t see the modgui before I did that.
Needs a couple more handles to move it around (in between the knobs) and double-click to zoom doesn’t seem to work either.

Other than that very nice! I like this clean design. Maybe a couple more small touch-ups, but it’s almost there I think!

3 Likes

I thought it would make sense to point out what I think is good about each GUI here and suggestions for moving forward

Original

[++] Logo
[++] Iconography (wave shapes)
[+] Background (colours, textures & shading)
[+] Text
[+] Layout, alignment and density
[+] LCD Displays
[-] Knobs
[-] Buttons

[++] Knobs
[++] Buttons
[+] Simplicity

[++] Colours
[+] Simplicity
[+] Knobs

What I would like to see (continuing with design #2):

• Improve the alignment and layout of controls. If you see the original, the controls have a tighter layout with clean alignment that I think could be adapted

• Usually, I would opt to remove things like side ears on rack units or the timber end plates but in this case, I think the wood end plates make sense for recognisability but they could be slim. The right side doesn’t really work with rounded corners because it means you need to have an empty strip there so it might as well be wood.

• I think I prefer the buttons from the #1 as the indicator is bigger making it easier to read. It would be good to use these with more original colours

• Knobs with indicator rings would be great for readability at a glance

• Adding the logo, fonts and iconography like the original would be great

• Adding the LCD displays would also be cool

@spunktsch Just want to say that the work you have done is awesome! these are suggestions that I think would improve it in my subjective opinion. I mean no disrespect at all. Internally we always go through this process of revisions and reviews. Criticism should be constructive and never personal. I’m really excited by what you are doing so please, if my comments are discouraging, let me know, because I want to be encouraging!

6 Likes

thanks @James for the feedback. I know this is a public forum and you explaining things for everyone but don’t worry about discouragement - at least on my part. Your comments are constructive and spot on with most things. I’m pretty familiar with the process in design work and know that revisions are standard practice. Even throwing out 80% of work to get the 20% done is not uncommon. (at least I got better at that ration over the past years :smiley:)

On the suggestions: I’ll try to implement most of it. Some stuff has to be changed in the plugin .ttl (legatomode and voices should be enumerated lists).
I’ll have to check the licensing if I use the original logos and fonts.
The indicator rings and LCD will probably be the last thing because I don’t want to use sprites and need to figure out how to style or rotate svgs on current values.

9 Likes

Good to know thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t sounding too harsh! I’m also trying to improve my percentage :sweat_smile:

Good to know, I’ll add that to the “to do list” for this plugin. @falkTX this plugin doesn’t actually have a dev in the community does it?

:+1: Sounds good. I think it is GPL

Ah okay cool. Excited to see how you go with that

3 Likes

pushed another update. Aside from a few thing I things it is usable and looks good to go.

TODO:

• branding (only traced the original)
  • proper fonts
  • a few more shadows and gradients
  • fine tuning knob positions

19 Likes

This is looking amazing man!! nice work

3 Likes

heya! Just downloaded the plugin but no GUI yet, hows it coming along? Really curious :smiley:

It was a custom effort and I haven’t send the pull request so that the UI gets updated.

3 Likes

Ah yes I understand, do you think youll be able to get to it at some point??

1 Like

So what can we do to push this plugin, with GUI, into Beta?

I’ve been using it for a while and absolutely love it. We need some more cool synths on MOD!

3 Likes

Just updated and on my Dwarf I see this misalignment of the output jacks:

2 Likes

I’ll have a look after we release the AIDA DSP plugins. I’d like to add the remaining buttons and would really like this to be available.

6 Likes

I had displacement like that with the Midi Display plugin using Safari on MacOS.

What browser are you using?
Did you try a different browser?

I had it with both Chromium and Firefox on Linux.

will there be more presets etc??