Devcurmudgeon - ALO - (multi-looper with BPM sync)

thanks for the feedback! I’m glad you’re getting somewhere with it :slight_smile:

fwiw in my use-case I’m running multiple ALO instances in parallel: each instance can have a different [BARS] setting, so I can make a four-bar phrase loop over two repeats of a two-bar phrase, for example.

i’ll try to figure out what could be going wrong with the reset soon

i’ll try to reproduce and report back. don’t sweat it. when you’re running multiple instances with different bar settings, it should work for me, too.

Got it to work properly. I guess you’re right, once you recorded, the bars parameter is set, even when you delete the loop. But that’s ok, you set the looper up before anyway.
To change settings i stopped the midi clock, shut off the plugin, set the bars and then started everything again.

Next thing i’ll try is to run it with ableton link. should be the same. should… :slight_smile:

One more thing i noticed: Play/Record only works when Global BPM is on, i knew that. But when i turned it off and on again the loops were gone. Is that by design? I think it won’t matter but it could be problematic when loading a new pedalboard or something like that… i’ll play around with it :slight_smile:

But when i turned it off and on again the loops were gone. Is that by design?

yes, fraid so - currently ALO only works if global BPM is running, and resets all loops on stop.

ableton live mode should work - that’s how i use it

Just had to share a bit of doodling…
Next thing is to test it with sax and set the threshhold to live-circumstances :wink:

7 Likes

very cool :smile:

1 Like

Our first live performance using Alo looper on MOD Duo

We could have positioned the cameras better, but:

• 2 bar acoustic guitar loop to kick off the song, runs all the way through (on MOD channel 1)
  • 4 bar lead guitar loop recorded before the drums kick in (channel 2) then Andy switches to bass guitar
  • click track sent to headphones
  • once we get going we have the 2 loops in sync with the click, plus live drums, bass, guitar and vocal.
  • Andy drops the guitar loop in and out using Keith McMillen 12 step
  • all tracks recorded separately and then mixed afterwards (no overdubs)

With a bit more wiring we should be able to loop bass, acoustic and both electric guitars, all at the same time. Next time I’ll be sure to include footage of the Duo doing its magic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome! Great song!

2 Likes

nice looper! thanks

2 Likes

Wow! What a tune!
Great job!!

2 Likes

Hi,

thanks a lot for this @devcurmudgeon !
From the description that looks very close to what I need.
But, I feel very stupid to ask, as I could succeed in using it.

I just created a simple pedalboard with the ALO and a gain in the output (Guitar input is linked bothe the ALO and the Gain, the Alo output to the Gain also, and the Gain output to the ModDuo output).
I turn on the ALO (the red switch from the interface), link the Loop 1 to the 1st switch of my modduo, have the ALO BPM set to 60, and the threshold to -40.
I play guitar (I can hear it only if I link the input also to the gain), I click on the 1st switch of my modduo, the ALO Loop1 button turns green, I keep playing a bit (thinking I’m above threshold, and should be recording 4 bars at 60bpm or something like that), but nothing is replayed at any time. I stop playing, click again the switch 1 and the Loope 1 on Alo turn grey again, I click again in turns green, but no sound.
I’m surely misunderstanding completely the way to use it.
Any help I would appreciate :smiley:
thanks

@leDamien I’m guessing that maybe you haven’t enabled Global BPM - ALO only works when BPM is running. In any case your email has reminded me that I promised a tutorial video so here goes

br

Paul

5 Likes

Great ! I had the same issue. I’ll check the video ASAP :slight_smile:

Amazing demo ! Thank you very much !

1 Like

Thanks a lot, that was exactly my problem !

1 Like
2 Likes

Another demo, showing how we sync loops with the MOD Duo and live drums using

5 Likes

Hello,
I’ve been following this thread for a while but didn’t find the time to test ALO until today. I tested it in sync with my Beatbuddy, and it worked great !
Thanks a lot devcurmudgeon !!!

3 Likes

I find it a bit difficult to ensure that the first pattern I am recording is going to end exactly at the end of the recording time. Using a click plugin helps a lot with that, but it is a bit awkward to have to use that.

Am I doing something wrong ?

alo is designed expressly for sync with a click. if you’re wanting to loop without any kind of sync/click, it would be maybe better to try the Loopor plugin?

1 Like