Duo monopolises network connection

The Duo seems to monopolise network connections. I have just tried to run a software update on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine with the DUO connected via USB. I get an - update failed, check your internet connection - message.

How to reproduce

1. Plug in a DUO and connect to it with the Chrome browser
  2. Close Chrome
  3. Run - Ubuntu software updater

Expected/suggested solution

Unplugging the USB lead from the DUO allows the upgrade to proceed.

Additional information

• release: 1.0.1
  • controller:

Also provide some information about your system if possible.

• Operating system: Ubuntu 64bit
  • System version: 16.04

Would you be willing or able to help resolve this issue?

( x) Yes
( ) No

Hello @Tark.

If I understood you right what happens is that you lost your internet connection, right? It is not a issue related only with “Ubuntu software updater”.

Assuming the internet is the problem, please try to disconnect and reconnect your internet connection (wi-fi or cable), after you plugged the MOD Duo and check if it works.

If that does not work please try to run the command dhclient in a terminal, after MOD Duo be plugged in, and check whether the internet connection is back.

Now It’s me not being sure what you are saying. This is not a case of my losing my internet connection, which of course does happen from time to time because of interruptions from the ISP.

What happens is that if I have the DUO plugged in via USB and connect to its internal web server through the IP address 192.168.51.1 the pedal board interface is loaded. I can at the same time open another tab and browse the web, I can access other locations on my local network, but if I run the Ubuntu software updater (I haven’t tried the Synaptic PM) I get - Failed to download repository information - Check your internet connection. I haven’t noticed this before, but perhaps this is a security feature? System updates are perhaps blocked if you have another web server connected. As soon as I unplug the USB to the DUO the update proceeds normally. Then I can plug the DUO back in and it re-connects.

There is a simple solution I guess - don’t try and system update with the DUO connected. In that sense this is not really a problem, I just didn’t expect it to happen.

@Tark we tested in an Ubuntu with MOD Duo connected and upgrade works just fine. This could be a specific issue you’re having due to you current network config.

The only issue usually is that MOD Duo “monopolizes” the 192.168.51.0 network. If your home/work network makes use of that address space then it’s definitely going to conflict.
The reason we chose that particular network is because it’s unlikely to be used since it’s very non-standard. But it could definitely happen.

The only way to solve this is to change your network to something else (.52 maybe?).

I had a bit of a similar problem on my Debian Jessie : when connecting the Mod, I could not reach external websites anymore.

What happens is that NetworkManager overwrites /etc/resolv.conf with

nameserver 192.168.51.1

Basically, DNS queries are now routed to the Mod (!) which causes them to fail.

The solution, is to run

nm-connection-editor

from the command line as root, then to click on the interface corresponding to the mod-duo, to select the ipv4 tab and to set the correct DNS address (192.168.0.1 on my local network).

Then click apply and the problem should go away.

I hope this helps

We have a potential (automatic) solution for this in 1.2.0-RC2, coming up very very shortly.

Forgot to mention that you have also to select

‘Automatic (DHCP) addresses only’ instead of just ‘Automatic (DHCP)’.

The solution I posted above does not actually work. See below post for a robust solution.