Expression pedal update

Also I understand that “cheaper” isn’t much of a selling point for those who have already paid but price is not the driving reason for the change. It’s more of a positive side effect

3 Likes

Hi James,
Everything you mention above makes total sense, but you previously said that all electronics were ready to go, and that you were only waiting for the mechanical parts … and then you redesign the mechanical parts …
Quite frustrating, sigh …

1 Like

The electronics are tested and ready to go. It’s only a change to the positions of the USB pins on the main baord so the PCB just needs to be updated. It doesn’t require any further testing and will be done still before the mechanical parts are ready

The mechanical design changes don’t impact the timeline at all. None of the previous mechanical samples have met the specifications yet so they all have to be made again by the new supplier regardless. The design changes are made during the feedback stage with the new supplier along with other changes suggested by the supplier to improve the manufacturability. We are picking up on issues that the previous supplier neglected. This should mean that we fix all the problems now and won’t need to do another 4 sample runs

Basically it does not impact the development timeline at all and will in fact speed up the production timeline

8 Likes

What’s the progress on the expression pedal.

4 Likes

Hey Guys,

At the moment there is not too much to report. The new manufacturer is working on samples meanwhile here we are laser focused on the Dwarf production. This has been the case for the last few weeks and will likely be the case for some weeks ahead. As you know we are a small team and we need to work on multiple projects at the same time. If we were to neglect the dwarf in this critical phase it would cause flow on effects that would also impact the expression pedal. I know it’s not nice to hear but that’s just the reality right now. We can only do so much but we will be back onto it shortly. I hope you understand

8 Likes

Yep… Some things are just totally out of our control. 18 months ago things seemed more or less “normal”. Today? Tomorrow? Who knows if we’ll even be here. Read today that people who have already been vaccinated are getting covid.

Stay safe. That in itself is a pretty tall order these days.

6 Likes

updating… 2021.

1 Like

I’m actually hopeful for this year. I have only waited a couple years compared to “many” for some. It all depends on if anything gets prioritized over this… again. As dwarf is shipping now, from what I can see, it’s really now only fulfilling this product, and getting initial mod duo X (mk1?) up to par with the main duo X? I really hope the mod team can commit to being “laser focused” on this over the next couple months. I’ve just received parts for a custom ribbon mic design from manufacturers in Asia, so I hope that’s not the hold up anymore.

We still have quite some work to do with the Dwarf as we all have to fill many roles. My time is currently split between the Expression Pedal project and improving the documentation for the Dwarf so that the production becomes more streamlined while also producing video content to help explain the device and help with marketing. But we are getting closer to a point where I might be able to shift more focus back to the expression pedal. As soon as I get a chance I will make then changes to the design requested by the manufacturer. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks James!

1 Like

Just letting you guys know that the changes requested by the manufacturer have been made and drawings have been sent. It’s been a while since we communicated so we cannot expect them to evaluated immediatly but I’ll let you know when we hear back. So basically no big news but the ball is rolling again after our period of Dwarf focus

9 Likes

Yahoo! I’m just starting to stick my head above ground and check out the surroundings. I’m going to start playing out again around Aug 1, maybe sooner. Hopefully by then I’ll have the dwarf and a midi expression pedal set up and running, leaving room for the mod expr. pedal on my board.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE James!!

4 Likes

Thanks James! Awesome update

1 Like

beauty! great to see it’s on the move again! :clap:

1 Like

Who can tell me if there is currently the possibility of connecting an expression pedal to the Dwarf? I would like to use it for Wha, Volume and also to assign some parameters like delay. Thank you

you would have to use the special cable that will be available in, say 6-7 years :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In addition to the MOD Expression Pedal described above:

There is the option of connecting a standard expression pedal using something like the MIDI Baby — Disaster Area Designs

Or a using a midi controller with expression pedals built in like the Behringer | Product | FCB1010

1 Like

So I can use any other midi controller. Do you have instructions on how to connect it and on which channel the Dwarf receives data? Thank you

You connect it using a midi-trs-a plug or with usb.

And it listens on all midi channels, but you can apply midi filters if you want.

2 Likes

Thanks, for a moment I felt lost. I thought I couldn’t assign controls. Thanks again very much, you have been very helpful.

3 Likes