Expression pedals and adapter options for the Dwarf

Hi everyone,

post modified by @mj_prod

As some of you may know, we are developing an expression pedal to be used with our devices. You may also know that it is pretty far behind schedule.

I want to assure you that we are still working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible. You can check the Expression pedal update topic for more info.

In the meantime, since many people are already using the Dwarf, I thought I could start a topic to share some already available options for Midi expression pedals and expression to midi adapters at different price points. Feel free to contribute if you know some more

Beat Bars Expression pedal to MIDI adapter - €69,90 - was €59.90
Meris MIDI I/O MIDI Interface - €129 - was €108
MIDI Solutions Pedal to MIDI Converter - €159 - was €133
Boss EV-1-WL Wireless Expr. Pedal - €169
Beat Bars MIDI Expression Pedal EX3 - €179,90 - was €169.90
MeloAudio Midi Commander - $149,99 with amazon
Harley Benton MP100 - €119 with custom firmware
Behringer FCB1010 - €133
DoreMidi MPC-10 - $40 from China
Line6 FBV Express MKII - €85
Source Audio Dual Expression pedal - €124 Thomann - €124
cuvave chocolate - amazon.de search - another popular multi-switch with expression pedal jacks

The MOD Expression pedal will make use of the Control Chain protocol which will allow for higher resolution control compared to midi. If you are so technically inclined, you can also make your own Control Chain expression pedal using the Control Chain Arduino shield however we don’t expect this to be apealing to everyone. I hope this helps

5 Likes

I successfully use MeloAudio Midi Commander (or Harley Benton MP100) which is a footswitch controller with two expression pedals input. It has also a fan made firmware now https://github.com/harvie256/midi-commander-custom

5 Likes

I should also mention I used to use the Behringer fcb1010 with the Uno chip mod but I must say that the response of the expression pedals was pretty bad even after calibration

That’s pretty standard for behringer lol

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your efforts!

I already tried going the Control Chain Arduino shield way some time ago, but the documentation is still not successfully cloneable, see Arduino shield information/git incorrect

@falkTX meant that the documentation will be updated with the release of the expression pedal about a year ago.

If there are other starting points, I’m happy if you let me know.

Thank you!

vanilla

this should work, no? it seems like it would send midi data, but it also looks passive… hmmm maybe not

3 Likes

I’m using it too, with the MeloAudio expression pedal too. For me it’s enough.

2 Likes

I can help you with this.
I’m personally building one converter and discovered a few bugs on the current version of the library that managed to fix and get a workaround (although the developers are aware and will fix it when possible).
In really short, you should use something like version 1.8.0 of the Arduino IDE (download it here) to upload the firmware into your Arduino.
This will make the Control Chain library work properly and with this, your MOD device will recognize the Arduino Shield as a Control Chain device.
If for any reason it recognizes and immediately says that it was disconnected you should re-install the TimerOne Library (using “Manage Libraries” on the Arduino IDE).
This is not the most elegant way to get it working but it works and for now will give us some more time to fix the library.

2 Likes

They’re a bit hard to find these days, but a Source Audio Reflex should work nicely too.

3 Likes

Doremidi do a double adapter for pedals to midi that could be handy. Looks like you get a TRS adapter too.

https://www.doremidi.cn/h-pd-48.html?fromColId=2

MDC-10

Hope thats of interest to people

Cheers

Austin

3 Likes

saw on Instagram yesterday that Source is bringing back the Reflex in a v2 form, which is great, given all its output options. Hopefully it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’ll at least be cheaper than the Reverb resale prices :sweat_smile:

Interestingly this what Source said about discontinuing it originally… I wonder what has changed?

Reflex was designed to be a killer solution for a big problem, but it seems that not enough people want/need it. The cost of development was very high, and we do not make enough money per unit to keep it going. We also spend a huge amount of time supporting users who want to use it in all kinds of different ways. It is kind of sad. Why are there not more people who wanted this thing???

3 Likes

ok… i’m gonna dive into an arduino shield pedal adapter! i’ve had the MOD shield lying around waiting, for some years now…

is the library compatible with the Duo X now?

Great!

With the DuoX yes. Yet, we spotted some issues with the library mainly on the Arduino IDE side of it. Basically, it’s outdated and doesn’t work with newer versions. I can tell you that recently I successfully manage it using version 1.6.13 of the Arduino IDE. We plan to fix that soonish.

1 Like

thanks, @jon! have you tested it with the web editor?:
Arduino Editor

…it’s currently called v6.2.2, but i don’t know how that version number corresponds to the desktop IDE version numbers.

You’re welcome.

Not really. To be honest I never used that a lot.

Happy to learn if it works in case you test it :wink:

1 Like

I have seen posts about the Line6 FBV Express MKII on MOD older devices. Has anobody tried it with the Dwarf ?
If it works, it could be an affordable solution with 4 buttons and an expression pedal.

2 Likes

I just got Crumar Mojopedal and it has Exp input which is translated into CC - so it is possible to use for e.g. Moog EP3. It is big as sh… but all band mates are jeleous :wink:

1 Like

Sonuus Wahoo and Volume works great using USB with MODx - so with Dwarf also should work fine.

2 Likes

Yes, I use the FBV Exp with the Dwarf and it works fine.

6 Likes