Faulty Footswitch #2?

Description

I’ve just received my MOD Duo a couple of days ago, when I went to create my first pedalboard I was unable to map any pedal on and off functions to footswitch #2. Footswitch #1 functions as expected. I tried several different pedals and then updated the release to 1.0.3 and the problem persists.

How to reproduce

1. Power up MOD Duo and connect to web interface.
  2. Load a pedal on the board and map the on/off function to Footswitch #2

Expected/suggested solution

I would expect footswitch #2 to function the same as #1

Additional information

Open the controller menu (hold left knob down), navigate to Info > Versions and write down here the versions.

• release: v1.0.3
  • controller: 7497014

Also provide some information about your system if possible.

• Operating system: Linux
  • System version: Debian Testing (AV Linux)

We need a little more info. A few questions…

Does it show up as an option when addressing the first time? (both foot 1 and foot 2 appear)
When you address it to the first bypass control, do you see a new light above the footswitch? (it should be red)

Hi falkTX

Footswitch #2 appears as an option both in the dropdown box in the assign dialog and on the MOD right hand LED screen. If the pedal in the pedalboard UI is selected and is bypassed then it’s correct name and state appears as ‘off’ in the right hand LED screen and the red light does not come on even when the Footswitch is depressed, if I change the state of the pedal in the assign dialog to ‘on’ and the assign it to Footswitch #2 then the red light comes on however depressing the footswitch doesn’t switch it off.

To summarize it appears as though the software mechanism is working, the assigned pedal is getting correctly assigned to the Footswitch #2 ‘slot’ as expected, however the Footswitch itself does not change the operating state of the pedal. This is why I suspect the switch hardware is faulty and is not signalling a change in state to the pedal.

OK

I didn’t want to leave this topic hanging in case anyone was wondering what happened… here’s the story

Despite the best efforts and hard work of the MOD team unfortunately my MOD arrived with a broken wire at the solder joint on one of the footswitches. As soon as Gianfranco (the MOD CEO) saw this post he emailed me and expressed his disappointment that this had occurred and offered me the choice of shipping a footswitch with detailed instructions on how to install/replace it or to allow me to ship my Duo back to the factory. Having already fallen in love with the MOD I opted to have a footswitch sent. While disassembling my MOD to see why the footswitch was not working I came across a second issue… At some point in production the 1/4" guitar and headphone jacks transitioned from being manufactured by Neutrik to jacks made by Rean, the MOD team were told by their parts supplier that the specs of the jacks were identical but in fact there was a difference in the threads of the metal inserts that thread through the outside of the MOD case into the plastic jack bodies that mount to the mainboard. The result of this was that the metal inserts on my MOD were threaded with a fine thread that did not properly match and tighten into the plastic threads in the jacks. As soon as I mentioned this to Gianfranco he was very forthcoming with what had happened with the jack suppliers and immediately shipped me the metal inserts with the correct coarser threads.

I have been very impressed with the fast response and sincere concern from Gianfranco, although my intial MOD experience was not perfect my customer service experience certainly has been. :wink:

Everything is now as it should be and I will be excited to get to tracking my bands next album with my MOD Duo and getting out and playing more gigs with it, thanks again to Gianfranco and the team, keep up the great work!

4 Likes