Fcb1010 best prom for the ModDuo

I use the FCB1010 with the Eurekaprom 3 and its Works perfectly on stompbox mode.
The only thing that could be better would be if the two FCB programming change footswiches also worked like MIDI like the other buttons (UP and DOWN buttons.

2 Likes

I like your labels, nice work!

1 Like

That looks good ! Is it the standard config ? That would be awesome if you could give us a bit of detail about how to get this setup working from straight after you replaced the PROM !

Additionally : is the number of CCs sent by one stompbox still limited to 2 (as it is with the UnO and the Behringer stock prom) ?

Is there a way to reassign these CCs on the fly by switching banks (in other words, does the config of your 10 stompboxes depend on the selected up/down level, so that we could have 100 different stompboxes in total ?)

Well, I’m going to owe you the CC numbers, although I do not know how this works. I simply bought the chip and changed it. The FCB must be in Effect mode (EF) to function as stompbox, nor do you need to be selecting this, when we call the FCB it already remembers where it was last connected. Then in the MOD itself I use “MIDI learn” and that’s it. In use, when I click the FCB button the led lights up and the effect turns on, if floor again it turns off and the respective LED goes out, I can turn the effects on and off independently.

I did not try to assign “tap tempo” to them, because the buttons are not as soft as the MOD and in case the led would not flash at the corresponding speed.

I tried at some time to use MOD MIDI plugins, my interest was to make the expression pedal channels assign different values, because as I bought the used FCB I could not calibrate them to get to “0”, they always stay in the range Of 20 - 120. However I believe that I was not using the plugins right, in another opportunity I will do some more tests and I will put the result here.

2 Likes

Thanks !

Hi everyone,
I chose the UnO. See this post:

1 Like

Could you fix this problem somehow? I’m currently dealing with the same here. Didn’t really bother me until i wanted to use the whammy. For this it makes it useless…

I opened, cleaned, repositioned the sensors … I managed to solve a little, but I didn’t get to 0. good would be the MOD to have an external calibrator that would identify minimums and maximums.

I calibrated it two times more and now it works quite good. Not perfect but i can work with that :wink: your suggestion would make it perfect :wink:

Hi

I play in a group as a singer and multi-instrumentalist.

I should be able to put effects on the voice, on an acoustic guitar, on an accordion (2 mono), and from time to time play layers on a small midi keyboard. Through Logic, with good noise gates, we create interesting stuff. For the live port, I thought I would invest in a second mac + good sound card without latency (uad or audient 8x8 mini) + Mainstage. So I will find all my settings.

But, this is expensive, and requires a computer on stage with really good stability…

So I wonder if 2 Mod Duo X, or 2 Dwarf, with midi control pedal and midi keyboard, would do well job, even if I would lose the advantage of daw’s plugin use …)

My violinist (on linux) will probably take a dwarf for effects : violin + small midi keyboard too… I hope it will work as good as the effects we use in logic (noise gate for feedback, and then effects : small fuzz, delays, modulations … )

For my part, I hesitate … I am already on logic pro, and as a composer I realize all the songs with the audio unit plugins and settings …

In view of your knowledge of Mainstage and also of Mod … maybe you can advise me for an interesting solution studio -> live?

Cordially
Have a good day
Dom

1 Like

Hi Dom, welcome to the forums.

Without knowing (more of) the specifics of your setup, it’s hard to answer this concretely. Most likely you’ll find that the MOD devices will work well for many of your use cases; maybe you’ll have to compromise or workaround a few scenarios (which in turn can lead happy accidents).

I only dabbled in Mainstage briefly several years ago. With the MOD devices you can organize your effects chains into separate pedalboards, and with each pedalboard you can organize presets / patches (called snapshots in MOD parlance). Snapshots can be selected via MIDI and pedalboards can be loaded via MIDI (though not in realtime for pedalboards).

We can’t predict whether you’ll be able to recreate all your sounds exactly, but there’s a wealth of plugins in each of the categories you listed. As well, with the MOD devices you can route plugins together in ways that usually aren’t possible in a DAW - for example having circular connections where the output of a plugin gets routed to an input earlier in the same chain.

There are a couple of useful looper plugins available. File system support is being added over the next few releases, paving the way for things like adding custom impulse response files, loading samples, config overrides, etc.

Is there anything in particular you’re wondering about? Maybe we can break down how a setup or workflow would look for you.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the quick response! Really nice :+1:t2:

The Mod seems to have a great philosophy.
And the community looks active and friendly.
That’s a good point !

The chaining of fx looks really creative !
I like the idea

For the moment, I test Mainstage in training, with an average sound card and a 2011 macbook pro.
It works, but I’m afraid of the bug and it’s a heavy configuration to carry on stage.

The sound is sent directly to the front console. For audio, I use Mainstage as an aux send effects unit… All Fx are set with dry 0 and Wet 100. I only mute / unmute the effects with my controller. Thus, the sound engineer would not be upset … cos’ he will keep part of control of the effects.

Well, It not mean I don’t need fx on floor wedges … I need them !
For this, I always use a gate to limit feedback … It works pretty much, but sometimes …

On the voice, I run fx type radio, creative delays. I synchronize with tap tempo assigned in midi learn
On the accordion, small distortion with gate for feedback, delay, and cutoff modulations
On the acoustic guitar, different effects, with a “soundhole cover” on the instrument
With midi keyboard, I play layers on right hand, or launch ambient samples with pads

All these uses are not simultaneous, I launch fx, sample or layer for specific parts
Yes, it’s complicated, but so exciting :grin:

To go more detail, could I try same things with MODs ?
What is important …

Does the Mod have a tap tempo assignable to a midi pedal ?
Can we connect to the Mod, a midi pedal AND a midi keyboard ?
Can we send samples with the Mod ?
I would probably need two units … can we chain them ?

Would it be a good idea to use Mod as an external effects module on mixer ?
if I do this (like now i do), will it not be complicated for the engineer to patch cables ?

I hope I gave good details to understand my setup …
My English is not so good but I do my best, promise :wink:

Thanks for the help and advice
Have a good evening

Dom

Yes, you can assign available actuators including MIDI message to control tap tempo

Yes, with a USB hub you can connect multiple devices. I have a keyboard controller and foot controller both connected to my Duo.

Not yet, this depends on further development to the underlying platform to allow plugins to communicate with the filesystem. It’s been mentioned recently as being under development - my unofficial guess is those types of features will be available starting in a few to several months from now.

To answer what I think you are asking - there’s no “peer awareness” built into the devices to know that another MOD device is running nearby. You should be able to pass MIDI through both devices in a chain. You could connect the audio in/outs between two devices, however you’ll be doubling the amount of latency with audio processing since you’ll now have 2 passes of: Analog -> Digital, pedalboard processing, Digital -> Analog. The latency has been analyzed elsewhere in this forum and is around 5 - 8ms (depending measurement technique and interpretation of results). Some musicians might notice the extra bit of delay, though for many it won’t be a problem.

Good evening

Thanks once again for the answers
I understood everything, it’s very precise

Anyway, the Mod has a very open platform

Great to be able to control 2 Mods with one same pedal
I wonder if it’s hard to configure …

Regarding latency, it’s playable, I have 8ms A / R with Mainstage …

I will see with my violinist if he orders a dwarf or a duo
I might have the opportunity to try before …

The dwarf costs 450 less than the Duo
Such a price difference for a few buttons is amazing …?
Dwarf is apparently more powerful and up to day, than the X
Only the mini midi connection may be problematic on dwarf …

Is that true ?

For price, if dwarf is better than duo, we take few risks …
Regardless set up, it’s an new creation machine at hand

I’ll keep you informed, if I can try, if I purchase

Cordially
Dom

Hi @Dom, my pleasure.

I haven’t tracked the retail prices of the two devices recently and the production cost of the Dwarf may have gone up from the original plan but yes, the Dwarf as a successor to the Duo will be less expensive and quite a bit more powerful in CPU which is amazing. I’m expecting a Dwarf from the Kickstarter campaign and will likely order at least one more when they launch to public.

Best wishes

• Brian

Since I was considering purchasing a FCB1010 to use with my Duo I have ben researching a bit alternative chips.

The most interesting I’ve seen so far seems to be the UnO2 chip.

It’s completely programmable via a text editor where you can basiclly assign to every footswitch an arbitrary succession of MIDI messages. Footswitches are then organized in presets and banks.

This, combined with Mod Devices’ own pedalboard and snapshots seems to be the absolute versatile way to control the devices.

True, you have to program your FCB with a text editor instead of a graphical interface like other alternative chips, but since the Mods are already geared to an audience of tinkerers a little more tech savvy than the usual, I dont think it can scare away anyone.

What I like most that I could “decouple” the sound creation phase from the setlist creation phase.Expecially since at the moment the snapshot management inside the Mods is quite primitive (you can’t even reorganize a snapshot list the order you want).

This means I can create all pedalboards as many snapshots inside them as I like, and then pass to the UnO2 editor to setup and organize footswitch presets that can recall exactly the Mod pedalboard/shapshot I want to, or activate/deactivate multiple plugins in a pedalboard with just one footswitch. Very powerful.

1 Like

Mod duo/mod duo x/mod dwarf differences

Hello

I will continue my research, and we are thinking about our setup with my violinist.
Maybe we’ll take a mod after the Christmas party
Thanks for all

See you

Hi

Thank you for the link.
I understand better the price difference

Good evening