List of feature requests (MOD Dwarf)

@Jon, maybe using a service like uservoice will be more easy to group and count the most requested thinks.

Example: General: Hot (1277 ideas) – Mattermost Feature Proposal Forum

Do the feature requests and possible implementations refer only to the dwarf or to ModDeviece devices in general, apart from the possible hardware differences of the individual devices?
Will the different devices get different software development in the future?
Does it make sense to create a separate “feature requests” thread for Mod Duo / Mod Duo X?

Issues/Requests will in 99% of cases apply to all units.
Though due to time constraints future releases will be Dwarf-only for the time being.
We will get back to making them available for Duo / Duo X later on

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.
Although I would say that at this point it is not an issue to keep track of all the requests. It is more of an issue to have time to analise and develop them.

2 Likes

Merge stereo cables in order to minimize cables mess. Maybe the current stereo path could be shown only when a jack is selected. Once the jacks are connected, merging stereo cables will reduce visual mess. It would be also useful to drag 1 jack and carry the other accordingly so you don’t have to repeat same gesture to connect two cables (maybe you can press SHIFT while dragging to enable such behavior, or something like that).

EDIT: it looks like a flux capacitor :rofl:

5 Likes

Would be useful to add a feature that keeps gain constant between parallel and serial paths.

Serial path has -90 db
Parallel path has -84 db

It seems that each plugin you add in parallel path will sum up few decibels.

5 Likes

You know what I did with the two requests :wink: I think I will stop reporting it to you, but simply leave a like so you know that I reached the request

2 Likes

Add a refresh button to plugins that use files on file system. Currently if you have a IR cabsim loader in your pedalboard and you add a new IR wav file, you need to remove and reconnect the plugin. Would be faster to just click a refresh button.

2 Likes

not ideal, but you can also refresh the page

5 Likes

Would be useful a simple plugin to record audio launching jack_capture and then download/delete/rename the file via WEB GUI.

3 Likes

I was missing your requests :grin:
Noted :wink:

1 Like

Im guessing something along the lines of the TC Electronics WireTap pedal

1 Like

Snapshot dialog not modal and movable (nice to have resizable), would improve usability and speedup things while doing intense A/B testing involving save and load snapshot operations.

4 Likes

Hello. I have a suggestion to Mod Dwarf (and maybe to other Mod devices too).

I want to the Mod Dwarf has a way to change any audio plugin parameter without previously assigned it in a knob. I remember that someone took that there are plans to enable a full pedalboard customization, but I’m suggesting something more simple, because not involve add/remove audio plugins, change their order or change the connections.

My suggestion is motivated by a recurrent case that occurs with me: In my home, I connect Dwarf with my laptop and configure some (new) audio plugins into a pedalboard. After, when I play in a place, I note that is necessary to fine tuning some parameters, but, generally, I didn’t previoursly assign their to a knob!

A suggestion to how to implement it:

Use case: Changing a param value for any (unassigned) param

Basic Use Case Description:

1. User long press a knob or push button
  2. A new page appears on the Mod Dwarf device, listing all the audio units instances
  3. User select the audio plugin instance that can edit it
  4. A new page appears on the Mod Dwarf device, where it shows the first 3 parameters, like the “params configuration modal” on the mod-ui (settings Gui-settgins.png).
    Instead to show only 3 fixes pages (I, II and III), would be interesting that could be possible to change to the next and previous page pressing the most right and most left push buttons. The icons on the display would be :arrow_left: and :arrow_right: instead I and III.
  5. User can use the push buttons to change the current page
  6. User change the value as the usual way (rotating the knobs)

Alternative flow:

• Instead long pressing a knob or a button, it’s would be a new option on the menu, but it’s more interesting that it can be accessible in a faster way.
  • Maybe, this could be a new mode (like control/navigation/tool mode), and would be a preparation for the full pedalboard management.

Possible problems

• Instance order: How order the instances will appears? By first audio plugin inserted into the pedalboard? By the position in the mod-ui correspondent? By the chain order?
    Note: A random order it’s ok for me :sweat_smile:
  • Multiple instances for same audio plugin: If a pedalboard has two or more instances of the same audio plugins, probably the user can be confused about who is the specific instance that is needed to be fine tunned. If the instances have aliases, this can be avoided. The aliases could be automatically assigned: shiroverb_1, shiroverb_2, …
11 Likes

I think you’re asking for a lot here, much easier to map everything to a knob or footswitch, then you will know where everything is. If you get to a venue and find that you need to adjust something that you haven’t mapped then it is the fact that you didn’t map it which is the problem! You don’t only have the 3 fixed pages, but you have 3 pages of 3 for every bank of footswitches, whether footswitches are mapped or not, and there are 9 of those, so you have 3 x 3 x 9 possible knobs, or 81 in all - that should be enough for you to map all you need!

I’ve done this with my Duo after learning the hard way like several others have but it’s definitely not a great user experience. On the Duo, you only have about 15 - 20 parameter slots to use so if you have several plugins where EQ / modulation is important you have to start choosing which params are “most” important. At least on the Duo, it is not feasible to map every parameter for any non-trivial board.

Perhaps the proposed solution is too difficult to implement but they at least took a detailed try at describing one. Personally, the idea of manually mapping through 40 - 90 different parameters per each pedalboard I use (just in case!) doesn’t appeal to me. So I’m also interested in solutions that allow for on-the-fly editing either without an external device or via an alternative interface (more like a spreadsheet or TouchOSC). I also own a Headrush Pedalboard and that colors my expectations of what the user experience with the device can be.

5 Likes

oh yes, some kind of unprogrammed flexible param change for all plugins would be brilliant!

I agree, it was a well presented solution, but I see it as an over complicated one. If any parameter is that important then you would have mapped it! I see that it could be useful for some, but I think that it’s asking a lot of a system that already gives you the option of mapping controls you want! No problem if it happens, but I wouldn’t be using it!

1 Like

Hello, @shaggydog. Respectfully I disagree with you. In my opinion, the fully assignment of the knobs is a workaround (“gambiarra”). This is a user experience problem.

Ideally, the device must offers a way to configure the pedalboard in the self equipment, as all the other traditional equipment (e.g. Zoom, Boss, Line 6, …). The mod team are planning to do it in the 1.13 version, but I suggested something more simple to try to solve the problem in (maybe) less time.

Comparing with the other devices, the MOD ecosystem is very rich in a way that exist a lot of audio plugins that offers features in the most creative ways. Some audio plugins aren’t initially clear how do use/control their (also, there are missing details/docs), in way that is possible and probable uses forget to assign a knob that appears not important in first view. For new users, I think that is an undue penalty.

Maybe I’m being selfish. I agree that is expected that a (professional) musician uses “correctly” the equipment. But this problem affects me and has even made me not use the equipment in this (so little) time that I have it.

5 Likes

Having spent an evening thinking about it I have to admit that I’m wrong, it is a good idea. I had initially misunderstood the concept, but having all unmapped controls put onto a single pressed knob would be useful. Sorry for taking so long to realise that you have come up with a good solution to a problem I hadn’t seen, but can now see that I might have in the future.

Simon

7 Likes