Footswitch extender not recognized

Description

I just upgraded to 1.4.0-RC5. The footswitch is not recognized when plugged in, though it does boot up showing FW Ver 0.0.5.

I’ve tried using a new cat5 cable with no luck.

As a note, it’s only been recognized intermittently on 1 occasion. I was hoping that an upgrade to RC5 (from RC3) would help.

There is a new release candidate and firmware coming soon, hopefully it’ll solve your issue.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the update.

I have two footswitches and a expression pedal using the Arduino Shield.
To get it all working I have to turn on the duo with just one footswitch connected.
I make sure i’m on pedalboard that is low CPU usage… (I created a pedalboard that is just straight input to output)
Then plug in the next footswitch and make sure it is recognized.
Then plug in the arduino shield…

I can’t wait to be able to leave it all plugged in…

Does the Arduino Shield need to be updated too?
If yes… How do I do it?

Yes, they will. You’ll have to update the Control Chain library, rebuild the Arduino example you are using and flash it.
Here is some instruction https://github.com/moddevices/cc-arduino-lib.

2 Likes

I just upgraded to the stable release of 1.4. I followed the instructions for upgrading the FootEx firmware here, but nothing happens. The screens on the FootEx light up and in the Chrome interface it says that no control chain devices are connected.

To be clear I completely unplugged the FootEx, held down button 1 on the FootEx and plugged it into the Mod Duo with a USB cable.

Connect it first via the control chain cable (ethernet) so that the mod recognizes it, only then you’ll be able to proceed with the footswitch firmware update.

Unfortunately I’m experiencing the same problem as before upgrading to the stable release. The FootEx is not recognized when plugged in via ethernet.

so your footswitch has never worked with the Duo, neither in previous RC builds nor in the final 1.4 version?

It connected on one occasion but it was not a full connection as the buttons were never available in the dropdown menus. At the time I unplugged the FootEx and plugged it in again - it was never recognized after that.

What’s the version your footswitch shows when it turn on?

The GUI just informed me of the footswitch firmware update. New update is 0.2.0. I just updated from 0.0.6 with no issues.

But if you have more than one it’s kind of a pain… I had to plug in one footswitch at a time to the Duo and restart it to get the message to update…

@falkTX and @ricardocrudo

Can you verify the behavior of the footswitches we should expect with Duo 1.4 and FootSwitch 0.2.0?

This is what I have seen in my short time with the new updates… I have two footswitches.
Footswitches are recognized at power up.
Need to load a pedalboard to get assignments even if powering on with a pedalboard with assignments.

Is this what we should expect?

No, we should not expect it to be missing addressings.
I will test that specific scenario next week.
If you’re able to share a pedalboard which has this issue, that would help a lot. Thanks.

@btempchin let us know if you can or cannot update your footswitch to version v0.2.0.

Hi @falkTX,

I used the most simple pedalboard I can think of. Two signal chains with input connected to the output with the TinyGain Mono inline in each.
I assigned the mute function on Channel 1 signal chain to FootEx:Foot #1 and labeled it Mute Channel 1.
I assigned the mute function on Channel 2 signal chain to FootEx 2:Foot #1 and labeled it Mute Channel 2.
With these labels I can verify by looking at the footswitches that the correct function is being assigned to the correct footswitch.
The Two footswitches were connected to the Duo before powering up.

I did at least a twenty power cycles. It never assigned the functions correctly on power up.
Usually it recognized two CC Footswitches but just didn’t assign. I would load the pedalboard (via Duo or GUI) and will assign.

Here are some other odd behaviors I did see:

• Several times the Duo flipped FootEx 1 and 2.
  • Couple time it recognized and assigned to FootEx1.
  • Couple times it didn’t even recognize either footswitch. I would unplug and re-plug and it would then be recognized. Still has to re-load the pedalboard to assign.

Sorry this isn’t too scientific… I didn’t take notes or anything… Just plugging the power in/out…
I hope this info helps.

Here is the link to the pedalboard I used.

I was able to reproduce the issue.
We did quite a few tests regarding control chain, but forgot to test devices + addressings during boot.

Please try this build and let us the results.
http://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduo-v1.4.0.452.tar

I believe the only remaining issue will be the footswitches sometimes behaving like they’re the same.
This will be fixed by a footswitch firmware update.

@falkTX

I did some testing and results seem to be the same. I will PM you with test results.

Let’s ignore the 2 footswitches at the same time for now.
Does the issue happen if using just 1 footswitch?

I did the test with one footswitch.
Created a new pedalboard with just the Switch4 plugin. Not connected to in/outputs. Assigned each switch to a switch on the footswitch. (first one to #1, second to #2, etc.)
Did 20 power cycles and each time footswitch was assigned, recognized and operated with no issues.

On 6 out of 20 cycles I did find that the GUI didn’t show the footswitch assignment on the settings dropdown. Assignment shows on footswitch, recognizes footswitch and operates correctly… just doesn’t show where you assign…
On each power cycle I did not refresh the browser… I let the Gui refresh itself.
Loading the Pedalboard (or other pedalboard) does not fix it. Refreshing the browser/webpage fixes the issue.
I ran 10 cycles where I opened a new browser tab and connected to the Duo and the issue never happened. Only happens when the GUI automatically reconnects after re-start of the Duo.

I hope this info helps.