Giving myself a pat on the back

just done a very badic video showing what we mean

• how do I upload. Or so I just create a youtube video and send lnk
1 Like

Using snapshots in ableton to show the behaviour we are looking for.

3 Likes

Here is a rough walkthrough of how to set up and use TouchOSC with a pedalboard. This one is for effects, but it works just as well for midi.

On a Windows computer both TouchOSC and TouchOSC Bridge need to be running.

Firstly, to get my ModDwarf to talk to TouchOSC I went into settings on the Dwarf (button to left of screen with first button below knobs) and scrolled down with the first rotary knob to “Behaviour Settings” and selected that by pressing the knob. I then changed “USB-B MODE” to “NET+MIDI (WINDOWS)” using the third rotary knob. I then pressed the “back” followed by “exit” buttons to get me back to the main screen. That is all I need to do on the Dwarf itself, after that it just needs to be plugged in via the USB-B socket.
I then set up a test pedalboard with distortion, delay and gain pedals to make a TouchOSC controller for. The gain is set to be controlled from the Dwarf in case of a PC crash!

I will create a controller that uses a page for each of the 2 main pedals, and keep the master volume on the centre Dwarf button.

The first task on the TouchOSC screen is to make sure that all commands are sent to the Dwarf - this is done through the connections button. I will then create 2 pages, put controls on each and then link to the pedals on the pedalboard.

I have now done all that, and put it in a video available here: TouchOSC Demo - YouTube

I don’t know if anyone will find this usable, let me know! (remember you can control the speed of playback!)

The video resolution will be quite low for the first few hours after this message.

4 Likes

Nice one shaggy - have you tried plugging in via OTG cable? Appreciate it is then tethered but no laptop required which is what I think the initial post was about.

Pretty involved video but without words or annotations its easy to get lost in it - especially on a phone. I will try and view it on the laptop later as I liked your pedal ideas .

I wish mine was silent -mouse clicks and dying breaths in the studio melting in the heat.

Still bugging Falk et al for the midi feedback. - maybe we should ask for the bridge to be implemented then no wires at all!

2 Likes

I haven’t tried an OTG cable - I’ve got one, well an adaptor anyhow, but I don’t want to pay for another TouchOSC license at the moment for my Android device! The original post was me congratulating myself for my first successful TouchOSC control :laughing: I know that the OTG works with linking the Dwarf for the GUI from an Android tablet, so shouldn’t be a problem for it to work, but I don’t know enough about MIDI to know the complications - the setup I use on the Dwarf is Net+Midi(Windows) but there is also a net+Midi that might work. Unfortunately it seems the only way of getting TouchOSC on Android is to buy another license, so I’ll avoid doing that for the moment! I know it’s easy to get lost in the video, sorry about that, I messed up once or twice as well which didn’t help! You can slow it right down it’s running at 150% speed at the moment, so just slow it down when it looks interesting! I’ll try to put some words on it at some point when I’ve found my old video editor!

1 Like

Im confused…what are you running TouchOSC on ? Windows laptop with touch screen?

Im still stuck in limbo without a Dwarf to actually try these things.

But using my Helix as a test bed - OTG adaptor that comes free with some phones with Android works perfectly and also running it through ableton via touchbridge and back out to helix also works. I even have Touch bridge autoload on startup so its always on when I need it.

When you get you editor up and running - need 2 videos off you. Pager and groups - just not computing my end.

Ive pretty much gone back to original TouchOSC as the editor is easier and it does groups better. I can always upload to the newer version for the Radar and funky colours.

Yes, I’m using a Windows touch screen laptop, although the vid was filmed using a PC. As I use the laptop for music it’s not too much of a problem to have TouchOSC running on there as well. I’ll try a vid on the laptop that has a microphone and doing a commentary on the next one!

I’ve uploaded another video, this time with ADDED COMMENTARY!!!

Apologies for the mistakes and double takes, the occasional blank screen and mis-speaking (and not showing me linking the Gain volume control to the Mod itself, done to avoid problems if the computer hangs!) It’s basic, it uses buttons, knobs and faders, shows labelling and colouring and, most importantly, how to make it work with a Dwarf and @Austin73 it uses Pager! The new video is here: - YouTube PS - for those using Android, a two finger tap works instead of a right click. PPS sorry for the near 20 minutes that this takes!

1 Like

Thats brilliant . Really made a difference.

The reason I didnt get pager is on the old editor you just add another page !

To be honest Im not loving the new version as much as I thought and seem to be still making the control surfaces in the old editor and vjazzling them in the new editor.

I think moving forward we might need to create a page for TouchOSC based shenanigans - so we can get the ball rolling. If we get more users on board we might even get the DWARF sending back MIDI Cc so it syncs up with changes.

I do like the way you designed your pages - cool fun idea compared to my stuff.

Just need my dam Dwarf to turn up and I can jump in and take some weight off you.

Really appreciate your time. If you get chance drop me a mail as I might be able to share some other layouts etc

3 Likes

Ah, I never used the old editor, I just starting on the new one having seen your earlier conversations with the MOD team! I agree, a page for touch OSC stuff would be good. If we get 2 way communication going that would be great - it would mean not having to reset each control by hand! So, MOD team, can we have a TouchOSC category please? If we’re really careful with it!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this :wink:

1 Like

I’m happy to set up a shard Onedrive directory as a store place for TouchOSC controll surfaces that folk want to share, but that would be dependant on me keeping my subscription going. Is there any way that MOD could set up an online directory for shares of TouchOSC control surfaces (that could link to pedalboards)? It could be accessed from the TouchOSC area of the forum that would be a nice thing to have!

As a stopgap I’ve set up a Google Drive folder that can be used to store TouchOSC controls - anyone with this link can use it - TouchOSC controls for MOD - Google Drive

1 Like

I’ve just thrown a couple of examples into the directory that I mentioned above TouchOSC controls for MOD - Google Drive where I’ve put two example TouchOSC controls, one for a 4 way looper I put together, here’s the pedalboard OSC 4 way looper - Shaggy - MOD Devices
and one for the example that I demonstrated earlier - here’s that pedalboard OSC Demo - Shaggy - MOD Devices

I suppose that I should set up a new thread for this somewhere, which would be an appropriate forum?

1 Like

Simon - just checked out your youtube video. Looks really good! I’m still locked in - thank you delta variant (Kansas City, MISSOURI NOT Kansas - there is only one Kansas City but it’s just too much for one state to handle).

Confined as I am, I’m having much time to tackle several tasks here. “The Midi Manual, 3rd edition”, is on it’s way. I’m going to get deeper into this stuff than I really wanted to, but it’ll be well worth all the effort.

2 Likes

Sorry about your confinement, that Delta variant is a bugger! I’d be interested to hear whether the Midi Manual is worth the money! Hope you’re not stuck in for too long, and that you can learn as much as you need about the wonders of MIDI

I’m used to being confined by now. Just wish the anti-vaxxers would wake up before they kill everybody. Terrible thing to think. let alone say, but maybe they’ll just kill themselves off.

I’m sure I’ll get it figured out. Worst case scenario I’ll just go back to my pre-covid rig with the duo and a wah. In the meantime I’m just trying to get my chops and knowledge of tunes back up to where it was!

2 Likes

I am going to put a post onto the pedalboard category listing the pedalboards and explaining them as well as links to the videos, TouchOSC, and the TouchOSC control surfaces directory. That is here: Pedalboards and TouchOSC

2 Likes

Thanks again! This a huge help to everyone!

3 Likes

Is it possible to connect andoid tablet running TouchOSC to Dwarf at all?

1 Like

If you can attach a cable that will give midi commands to a USB-B then I guess so - I’ve never tried it.

3 Likes