Hello MOD community! A few words from the new CEO

Only request at this point:

Expression pedal

3 Likes

Welcome @MOD_Ronny

1 Like

Hi Ronny, great to hear that the MOD team found such a dedicated and passionate CEO. Look forward to reading more from you in the future!

My wish from the MOD team concerns the software and it is to “release early and release often”. Or some news about the expression pedal. Whatever is easier for you… :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you @eggsperde and everbody else for the warm welcome.

I realize that too many promises have been made for too long. There were good reasons and @gianfranco and his team did the best they could. From now on we´ll have better preconditions and will make sure that we deliver when we announce something.

While we are already discussing a plan to launch several software updates in the coming months, we will indeed frequently launch new updates instead of many at once. We don´t want to keep you waiting.

Footswitch and Expression Pedal are in discussions right now. I can already reveal that one is already in the making. Expect an official announcement very soon. The other will unfortunately take a bit longer, but I am confident that we will find a solution still in the first half of this year. Watch this space for more info in the coming weeks.

5 Likes

I believe that the focus now must be on delivering the peripherals we buy at the kickstarter’s initial funding.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to get my expression pedal…

1 Like

Hi Ronny,
Welcome! Glad to hear of big plans for the future.

Things I’d like to see added/improved:

1. A way to view and manage all controller assignments from within mod-ui
  2. ‘Controller macros,’ so multiple parameters can be affected at once
  3. Recognition of footswitch gestures e.g. press-and-hold (hold to toggle); successive-double-press (‘double click,’ so to speak); press-duration (momentary parameter change as long as switch depressed, originally brought up by @nils)
  4. Tap-tempo
  5. Ability to change parameters within mod-ui that are controller mapped (otherwise locked from editing within mod-ui, as is now)

I’m not sure what these enhancements would entail, fully realized. Although, to me, they’d be very advantageous.

Btw, thank you for engaging us in this discussion!

3 Likes

I agree. We are doing our best to get all the legacy problems solved. We also need to make sure it´s a great product though and that is our main focus right now. I can only ask for a little bit more patience

2 Likes

Welcome @MOD_Ronny! Sounds like the MOD team have a great new addition :slight_smile:

Regarding gathering feedback from the community:

Since everyone obviously has different views of what they consider important for MOD Devices to focus on, would it be worth setting up a topic here or other system where we the community can vote on the various topics? Then you would get a more accurate sense of which are the most burning issues.

7 Likes

To be quite honest, as great as democratic voting for the community sounds, it reality is pretty much impossible to run a business that way. There are always very complex reasons why some things need to be a priority instead of others.

We definitely want to be as close as possible to our community and the feedback here takes a large part in that. Nevertheless, in the end we´ll have to consider the big picture and balance all aspects.

So sometimes it will seem like we´ll prioritize exactly what the community wants, other times it might not always seem the “right” order in which we do things. That´s natural. Trust that we have a plan why we do things the way we do :slight_smile:

We´ll aim to be as transparent as we can be about the process though. Promised.

6 Likes

Very well spoken. :key:
While input from the community is highly appreciated, and may have a influence on decisions, it’s much more important to have a plan. :gear:

And that is not only true for business, even for non profit projects.

2 Likes

Sure, I’m well aware of that (one might even say painfully so), after 13 years of experience working with an ISV whose primary business is supporting Free (Libre) / Open Source Software.

But I wasn’t proposing a democracy in which the community usurps your role as decision-maker :slight_smile: I was merely proposing that you set up some mechanism by which you can numerically quantify the strength of the community’s feeling on various issues. Then you can combine those data points with your other commercially-driven considerations in order to make planning decisions which are as well informed as possible.

In contrast, if you only gauge community opinion qualitatively, e.g. by keeping an eye on which issues people tend to vocalise most often on these forums, then you’ll have a much less accurate picture of what your userbase cares about. For example, many people won’t post about an issue which affects them, simply because they notice that it’s already been reported, or because noone asked them and they’re not inclined to proactively share that information through being too busy, or too shy, or other random reasons. So if MOD doesn’t proactively canvas relative importance of issues via some kind of survey, issues could appear to only affect one or two people when in fact they affect many more.

That’s way more than fine by me :slight_smile: I would far prefer your company to be financially successful so that it can keep doing awesome stuff, rather than go bankrupt because it cared about its community more than its survival :slight_smile: But as you have already pointed out in such an encouraging fashion, community and business success are not mutually exclusive. I’m very optimistic about the future based on what you’ve written so far!

Yes, that is hugely appreciated too. Thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Agreed.

We will do a comprehensive customer/user survey soon.

As you said, the forum isn’t the ideal way to gather qualitative feedback, but a direct way to engage in an ongoing communication. At least for those who participate.

2 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi Ronny - somehow I missed this post when it first came around!

Welcome to MOD-world. Looking forward to where the next stage in the journey takes you all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Steve, thanks for the massive support. We are working on several projects right now, which we will announce step by step starting in a few weeks. And yes… designs for the expression pedal are coming along nicely :wink:

1 Like

Hi @MOD_Ronny, any update on this? Thanks!

@aspiers Update about the production process, pre-sale link and preview of the product still coming this month.

1 Like

@MOD_Ronny thanks, that sounds exciting! It must be be keeping you all very busy.

When you have a moment for a breather, it would be great to come back to this idea discussed above - of numerically quantifying the demand within your existing customer base for the most burning issues we have with the software / hardware, to help guide the next stages on the roadmap.

There are a few critical things to get done still this year, which we focus on at the moment. Many of these include user requests that have been previously addressed. As soon as those are out of the way, we will for sure do a customer survey before the end of the year. This will most definitely (once again) influence what we will do next year.

2 Likes