Hi! Come Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone, Marcello from Italy here.I’m a bassist but also approaching keyboards and doing some mixing both in studio and live. I’ve been an happy mod duo user until a couple of months ago and now I’m a tier 3 dwarf waiter. I like the forum and I’ve often “used” it, so I thought that it was a good idea to join the community and try contributing!

8 Likes

Hey @orange_gorilla,

You are very welcome here more actively participating :slight_smile:
Thank you as well for your patience in waiting for the MOD Dwarf this long. We really hope that you get it “soon” and you enjoy it :slight_smile:
Let us know if we can help with anything.

3 Likes

I just need to fill this void :slight_smile:

8 Likes

ah well! I saw this one somewhere else :wink:

Hopefully soon! I really like how ready you are lool

2 Likes

I’m so ready because I’ve had enough time :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello, I’m Damon. I’m a US-born linguist who has been living and working in Lithuania as an English language trainer, copywriter/translator/editor, and voice over producer for nearly 30 years.
I am a string player who thinks in systems. I take each of my instruments and put together a unique system for effects, percussion, and voice around it. For example, my main instrument is a Godin Grand Concert SA processed through an original Keith McMillen StringPort and a Raspberry Pi 4. I have a mic and a piezo stomp box that triggers percussion samples along with it to loop with a Boss RC-300. I have a seven string electric, another hexaphonic (electric not nylon) six string, and a ukulele with their own systems. All of them have a Raspberry Pi running Patchbox OS from the guys here in Lithuania at blokas.io as a central component.
I enjoyed MODEP on Patchbox OS so much that I got the Mod Dwarf to be the heart of the system around my lap steel guitar. I use an ART USB Mix to get my voice into one channel, a Korg SQ-1 to sequence percussion, and a Keith McMillen SoftStep to have more control with my feet. I am really enjoying it so far.
I am also working on improving my brevity.

10 Likes

Welcome, @CDStewArt. Nice to hear about your setup and that you’re one of the very few lucky owners of a StringPort!! I always wondered if KMI kept updating its software or allowed a port to Linux. Is the latter true?

I too arrived at Mod land from a MODEP-loaded Pisound. :wink:

Do post some of your music when you feel like it.

This is absolutely NOT a forum requirement. :smiley:

PS: I asked KMI folks about StringPort 2 at NAMM 2020 and they said it’s ready for production awaiting investment. So it’s hard to say if it will ever come to light… Let’s hope.

4 Likes

Thanks for the words of welcome. I plan on posting pics of my setup and pedalboards and examples of my music one day.

Sadly, neither are true, despite me practically begging them to open up that code. However, the great Miller Puckette still hosts his Pd patch Smeck, which I believe served as the core of the Keith McMillen software and provides a lot, though certainly not all the functionality. I, however, just use the StringPort as an audio interface with MODEP, which gives me six inputs to process each string individually or in groups, which is even better for me than the original software package, to be honest.

5 Likes

Welcome here @CDStewArt !
@QuestionMarc already said it all, don’t “hold” yourself.

When you feel like doing it, please share some music and videos. You seem to have a quite cool setup and to know what you are doing and what you want to achieve with the MOD Dwarf :wink:

3 Likes

Greetings, all… New Duo X user here. I’m still just getting started, so I thought I’d drop in and say hi. I’m in Pittsburgh; I do ambient / experimental stuff on synths and electric violin. I picked up the Duo X as I’ve been a little dissatisfied with my Beebo. Mostly, because the documentation is pretty far behind on it. Always frustrating to have controls whose values are “-1.0 to +1.0” on things that really out to be “milliseconds” or “frequency”, or even “on/off” etc. I know it’s gotten better and will continue to improve, but I’m not getting younger either, so I thought I’d give the Mod stuff a try. So far, I’m pleasantly surprised. Kinda hoping to build up some scaled back versions of things I do on my secondhand H7600, but in a more portable format!

7 Likes

Welcome to the fray!

Stoked you are finding some ease of use and utility out of the MDX!

Very excited to see what you do with it. We have similar interests in music. I will never call what I do music, as that requires composition knowledge lmao

I hope you have a great time with your unit, and welcome to the community/MOD Fam!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community/MOD Fam!

Thanks for introducing yourself to us, and I’m very interested in hearing some of the things you produce with your unique system based sound design!

Hope you are well!

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Welcome @AtomsToMolecules!
Quite interesting the music that you are describing you do and quite interesting tools that you use for that.
Please share some videos with us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m also an electric violinist/synth enthusiast who has spent some time in Pittsburgh! Do you have any social accounts I can follow? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Wow, sorry to not reply sooner — I managed to catch Covid last week, ugh! And I was so carfeful for 2.5 years… Anyway; feeling better now. There is a video of a livestream I did back in Dec 2020, from my home “studio” (i.e. spare bedroom packed with my gear) The forum doesn’t appear to allow posting links, but if you search on YouTube for “Atoms To Molecules Pittsburgh” it should be the first thing that pops up.

5 Likes

Avery, there’s our local Pittsburgh Music Scene discord server, where a lot of us hang out to discuss venues, gear, upcoming live shows, etc. discord dot gg slash Va8nWA77

4 Likes

Glad you are feeling better mate!

I caught that stuff in Feb of 2020 and it has been the only illness that put me on my ass for a week.

You might need to have your permissions upgraded. @jon can verify and correct if needed

3 Likes

I believe I just fixed this :slight_smile: Please try to add it by editing the post and let me know if you manage to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, see if this works:

8 Likes