Hi! Come Introduce Yourself!

Sounds just wonderful, Nicola!
Have a nice end of year and a good start of 2019!

4 Likes

Hi,
I a programmer by day and hobby musician by later in the day. I am taking piano lessons which has led me to start piecing together gear to make more than just piano sounds using my roland a-70 midi controller and various vst instruments. I am not a DIY person per se, but I bought an axoloti and have been using it.
I read about mod devices in a story this morning about NAMM 2019 and the mod duo X.

It looks really interesting. I am extremely motivated to find dedicated open hardware like the duo X to host virtual instruments. Using my pc plus DAW is cumbersome and has high and unpredictable latency, and there is nothing beyond a certain point that can be done about it.
I have looked around a bit and done some googling and it seems that the mod duo x has some kind of limitation regarding what types of plugins are supported, meaning no vst.

Bit I can find examples of linux vst hosts like carla that can run several kinds of plugins. So could I compile carla ( just using it as an example) to run on the cortex arm a3 upon which the mod duo is deployed? In theory?

Just trying to get the lay of the land. I appreciate and will use free plugins or pay plugins, but it is highly desirable to be able to run existing vst plugins which already run under linux.

I believe this kind of system is the future and even the near present!

2 Likes

Hello. I do electronics and banjo mostly. Iā€™ve been using the duo with piezo pickup on the banjo for some time now. Iā€™ve also spent time building patches in gen and exporting to duo ā€“ Iā€™ve hit some compile issues that I need to get help withā€¦ Iā€™m currently trying to integrate the duo with a semi-modular setup. Hoping to build a control-chain to cv box that will provide a way to integrate with modular and expression on pedals.

Since I canā€™t create a new thread (why?!)ā€¦

ā€¦would appreciate any insight into whether the Shaduzlabs Synapse CV shield would work with the Mod CC shield. Iā€™m going to give it a whirlā€¦

(link redacted because I dont have permissions)

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @otter

Welcome to the MOD community! Great to hear about your experiences and experiments with the Duo.

Iā€™ve changed your user level in the forum to see if you can now open your own thread and post your question on gen~ and CC-CV integration. Let me know if it doesnā€™t work.

Cheers!

I got the Mod Duo because I play different styles in the bands Iā€™m in (Comedy rock, acoustic, blues, progressive, experimental, noise, techno, & others) so I need a pedal with lots of options.
I run guitar, keys & cello through a submix into the mod. (Will add vocals soon)
I have a data corrupter & Keeley Monteray (with wa pedal) hooked in the guitar/cello channels.
I have a pigtronics looper and a reverb on the Mod Duo output for additional ambient options. I have an Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer hooked to a second guitar before the submix.

3 Likes

I just created a moddevices forum account and wanted to ask a question (start a topic) under the lv2 category. But I canā€™t. There is no ā€œnew topicā€ button and if I try to create a topic under ā€œuncategorizedā€ or ā€œsite feedbackā€ (the only places where I even get an option to create a topic), I get an error message.

Is this because my account is so new?

Edit: Nvm. It was because my account was so new.

Hi @maoxnqd welcome to the forum. Indeed we have a policy against new users posting on the webiste in order to avoid spammers. We used to have a few annoying spammers (mostly bots) but after a few tweaks in the thresholds for new accounts they are mostly gone.

The down side is when people join because they have a question, like yourself.
Itā€™s easy for me (a human) to spot those cases which Iā€™ll typically promote the account to a ā€œnon-newbieā€ right away. You unfortunately beat me to it :smiley:

Anyhow, Iā€™m glad you figured out on your own. Enjoy the forum and welcome!

Howdy-

Iā€™m Ed from Nashville. Picked up a Mod Duo and Melo Audio MIDI Commander to use on the road since I travel a lot. Full time musician, love the product. Did a bit of tweaking the first month but Iā€™m really happy with it and the functionality. Running a few specialty glitch/sampler pedals in a loop between output 1 and input 2. It all fits in my carry on bag. A+++ Cheers!

3 Likes

Welcome to the MOD Community, @shikawkee !

Thanks!

Hello. I am an electrical engineer and in the past few years Iā€™ve become quite interested in DSP for audio effects. I wrote a graphical tool ā€œSpinCAD Designerā€ that lets you build effects algorithms out of little blocks for the Spin FV-1 chip. This led to some consulting work on a few commercial products for guitars and modular synths.

Recently Iā€™ve taken some online classes in Juce and Faust and have used the Synth Toolkit a bit. I used Faust to make some VST plugins and Iā€™m sure itā€™s just as easy to create LV2 plugins. I have some specific things in mind which are a little off the beaten path.

Iā€™d like to integrate an FX development platform into a recording guitar rig. Iā€™m not into doing it on a PC even though I could easily set up Faust on a Linux box as I really prefer knobs to a mouse and want something that will work even if the computer is off.

8 Likes

Hi Everyone!

Iā€™ve been with the community since the beginning but I have been silent for several monthsā€¦ but I am back! There have been personal issues which have kept me occupied and I am re-energized to stay connected with the MOD communityā€¦ especially because I am getting my DUO X soon!

FYI - for USA peopleā€¦ GreenElephantStudio.com is still alive and we are selling the MOD Duo and FootSwitch at the same prices as MOD but we offer a 90-day return policy and free Priority Mail shipping from Dayton, Ohio.

1 Like

Hi there, Im Irwan from Indonesia. New User :sweat_smile: still trying to figure our this and that with my Pedalboardsā€¦ quick question thoughā€¦ can i use or modified my Ernie Ball Mono Volume Pedal into Expression Pedal? Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome !

Hello Modders,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Salvador and have joined the Mod Device team as a quality assurance engineer. I have been in the QA role for several years now and a musician for much longer. I am jumping right in and looking forward to getting to know the community.

10 Likes

Welcome @Sava!

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™m a French experimental music / drone music amateur musician slowly building my home studio. In my recent gears, I got a MOD DUO X which I really love but I miss some more ā€œexperimentalā€ plug insā€¦ My ā€œartistā€ nickname is Origami23 and you can browse few stuffs I did if you look for me in Facebook, Soundcloud, Spotify,ā€¦

After 30 years working as A&R in various major companies or indie labels in France, I am now a senior musicologist in a start up I created with few friends 3 years ago dealing with IA applied to music tagging (look for Musimap belgian company on the webā€¦)

Iā€™m permanently looking for more experimental sound device and love my MOD DUO X although I have few disappointments : I donā€™t like the screens displays (too gross) nor the max precision of the knobs and I would have loved few more knobs and buttons to really handle complex pedalboardsā€¦

Happy 2020 to all of you, MOD buddies !

4 Likes

@Olivier_Lebeau

have you enabled the ā€œBeta Pluginsā€ for your Duo X ?

Yes I did load most Beta plug insā€¦ Some do not seem to work properlyā€¦ Most plug ins come without any presets nor infos which is sometimes a (small) problemā€¦ I would love some weird plug ins like, for exemple, an adaptation of the GRM Tools plugs ins for the Mod Duo X. Or some non basic granular plug ins or some multi-samples playerā€¦

1 Like

You can easily plug in extra midi controllers via the USB port. You can find many cheap ones with many controls that will help you controlling large pedalboards.

Regarding the plugins, hopefully you can get help from the community to develop the ones you are dreaming of :slight_smile: