How does the dither plugin work?

I know dither is a tool used in mastering but I don’t know how could I use it in a pedalboard. Could you help me with some tips or recommendations? How could it help me?

1 Like

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you don’t understand it do you really need it? More of philosophical question, I generally see people trying to find things which they might be missing but whether we really need something or not is sometimes questionable.

Anyway, dithering is mostly useful when doing “masters”, finalizing a recording to CD format for example.
Because we can now freely use 32bit lossless audio for redistribution (flac as format works great for this), there is very little need for dithering as a post-processing step.
I will be happy to be convinced otherwise, I have seen some folks crazy enough to dither 64bit audio into 32bit…

3 Likes

I mean, I understand it, I know how and why it is used in mastering, but I asked because maybe other MOD users used it in a different way or something. I mean, the Dwarf/Duo… aren’t announced as mastering tools so find a dither plugin here is kinda surprising to me.

and answering the “If I don’t understand it I need it?”I don’t know. Maybe if I understand it I realize I Indeed need it. Or maybe not, but now I know something new :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Likely it was just easy to port, so why not.

It’s only in beta section, so most users are not likely to find it. Let alone have a use for it.

4 Likes

You most likely shouldn’t. Dithering will do nothing for you in a signal processing stage, other than add CPU usage and clutter your pedalboard. Dithering only has some use when you downsample a signal (say, 24- to 16-bit) and need something to mask the distortion caused by it, which by the way you can only hear in the very quiet passages of a song or at the tail end of a fade out. So it has no practical use in the processing chain.

If for instance you’re having a noise issue when you fade out of a song, a noise gate with a soft attack makes much more sense.

2 Likes