How to have 2 delays but not perfectly in sync?

Great idea ! But it means I have to use both gaffa at 0% dry and use a Mixer to send the amount I want to the delays ; that’s what I use to do and abandon this because the Mixer is too CPU consuming (about 10% on my Dwarf)

Good to know. How ?
The key is to convert tap-tempo into CV to match the ms for the Gaffa, I’m stuck here, aren’t you ?
That would be perfect though !

2 Likes

So, I tried this out. There is a CV-based LFO plugin. I combined this with a plugin that does CV to Parameter control and got it to modulate the time control on one instance of the Gaffa. It is trippy to say the least. You can also put a CV multiplier/offset plugin if you want to further control the range of the modulation. For example, I got it set up to modulate the time by a small amount, and also from all the way left to all the way right.

7 Likes

I’m officially missing the pedalboard sharing!
I’m very curious on how you did the time control.

5 Likes

Once the pedalboard sharing is back up, I’ll share :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I trief the same but it modulates (pitch shift) the currently delayed soind, or did you find a better solution?

2 Likes

if you don’t want the modulation, you can remove the LFO and see if you can use the CV multiplier/offset plugin with the CV to parameter plugin, and the control to CV to adjust. I’ll try it later.

2 Likes

There is another mixer in beta that consumes less CPU…

3 Likes

Coool ! Hope the store resurrect soon !

1 Like

If I understood OP correctly, the end result is 2 delays that are initially synced to tap tempo, but one of the delays is then set to some arbitrary offset from tap tempo, such that the 2 delays are never quite in sync. I’ve not been able to achieve this using the CV plugins. Despite the LFO creating a very interesting effect (continuously modulating the time parameter on one delay), I don’t believe that is what the OP is after. The other solutions I worked on would allow manually adjusting the time parameter with a CV control, but that doesn’t really give the user any new functionality, and doesn’t achieve the requested behavior. I hope someone else has better luck.

2 Likes

What about a feedback loop, or running the wet signal of the delay through an identical delay?

2 Likes

Yep, I want to avoid the chorus effect that this solution would generates, but this sound could be useful though ! Thanks !

I’m not sure to understand…
Now I have the wet signal going on both delays.
If there is a delay with a feedback loop I would gladly use it !!!
I’ve tried to build one with a single repeat delay → volume (to control the feedback) → modulation (simulate the tape) → back in the single repeat delay → …
But the CPU increase drastically with this loop.

3 Likes

You CAN make these changeable with a knob! If you select “translate value to musical tempo” in the pedalboard designer and then assign the time value to a knob, you get a list of the musical tempo values when turning the knob on your device! Doesn’t solve your second issue but just wanted to make sure you knew about this feature!

4 Likes

Thanks for the advise, but as I said in my 1st post I’ve checked this box (to get the tap tempo on a footswitch). The thing that I can’t change with a knob is the way it syncs (1/8 or 1/4…) with the MOD clock. Or can I ?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying! Here, I’ve got the Gaffa time assigned to knob 3 in musical increments!

Just had to set it up in the GUI like this:

5 Likes

Wowowowowowo !!! Thanks !!!

5 Likes

Another easy option:

Using a cross fade, send the dry to and wet delay sound into it to mix in wet delay.

Use 1 Gaffa delay with 100wet no dry.

Place a clean delay with 100%wet and 0%feedback, just on the left side straight out of gaffa (or right doesn’t matter) with a small delay time so it’s always just a small amount behind the other side - it makes for an amazing stereo image.

You can set up another line select switch to bypass everything with 1 foot switch, or assign the gaffa and extra left side delay to a CV button and have both turn on and off.

Make sense?

When sharing is available again I can demonstrate with a patch.

7 Likes

Yep,
This is the solution, I’m just waiting the store to get online to have the beta mixer suggested by @fer above (the mixer not in beta use toooo much CPU)
Thanks @Jarrydactyl and thanks everyone !!!

5 Likes

Please do! Looking forward to that

2 Likes
3 Likes

Obviously just use your gaffa delay - I haven’t purchased it yet (cmon store….)

This also allows you to set one tempo and the lagged delay follows it!

This is why I love my dwarf.

4 Likes