Important Noise with the Mod Duo

Hi all !
I have quite a big issue with my Mod Duo: I have a very important level of noise when my guitar is plugged in.
This noise is clearly way louder than it should be, and appears with different guitars and cables, even with quite a low level of gain, so this is definitely an issue with my Mod Duo.
This seems to be linked to a ground loop or something similar, since the noise is way weaker (while still there) when I simultaneously touch the strings of my guitar and the piece of metal on the top of the Mod Duo. So that might be an issue with the ground inside the duo.
Moreover, this noise was not there before, and it happened to disappear.
Can you help me on that ?
I should be able to open the duo and make solderings if needed.

hey @romi can you please answer the following questions.

Is there noise when there are no plugins loaded, only inputs directly connected to output?

Is the noise always present, i.e just after turn MOD on?

Is it a constant noise or oscillating noise?

What are the gains/volumes values you are using?

Are you using your MOD always in the same environment, for example your house?

Hi @ricardocrudo,

Is there noise when there are no plugins loaded, only inputs directly connected to output?

Yes. And it is way louder than it should for an unprocessed chain ! touching the string and the metal piece on the top of the MOD, make it weaker.

Is the noise always present, i.e just after turn MOD on?

Yes, it is present when the mod is in bypass mode at startup.

Is it a constant noise or oscillating noise?

Rather a constant noise. If needed, I can record it and post the sound or an image of its spectral density

What are the gains/volumes values you are using?

Input: -4dB. Output: 0dB

Are you using your MOD always in the same environment, for example your house?

I’ve used it at home and in a studio for rehearsals. In both environment, I got the noise. It was especially loud in the rehearsal studio (the noise was above the threshold of the noise gate plugin that I use in hi-gain pedalboards, so the noise gate was ever open).

Thanks for your help !

That would be very useful. Thanks.

Could you please remove the bottom cover of your mod and check if all 6 screws are tight in the board? If possible send me a picture.

Here is a sample of the noise I get with the Mod:
http://romain-hennequin.fr/sounds/buzz_mod_duo.mp3

There are some notes of a bass guitar with full volume in the middle of the sample to realize the level of the noise.
This seems to be a 60Hz hum with a lot of harmonics.

I removed the bottom cover and the screws of the main board seem pretty tight.
Here is a picture:

Thanks @romi. That’s really strange. Anyway, I’ll contact you to exchange your MOD and power adapter to new ones. As soon as I receive them I will investigate what is happening with this specific unit and/or power adapter.

I’ve got also a strong noise (hum, probably 50Hz) which goes away a soon as I ground my guitar cable’s jack by making it touch my room’s radiator tap. I suppose my guitar acts as an antena (I’ve got insulating carpet on the floor as well)

I am tempted to permanently ground the mod using a length of wire somehow connected to some piping or to the wall’s power socket ground pin. Would that be a bad idea ?

Hello @Azza,

Have you tested your setup in another location to see if it presents the same noise problems?

Indeed, and it’s not always happening. My music-room/office has got a lot of electrical running which I reckon creates a lot of EM noise. But that is the most convenient place for me to play in.

I don´t think it´s safe nor a good idea to ground your guitar like you said before. Ask for a professional to take a look at your electrical installation.
You could also unplug every device from the walls but the MOD and your amp to try to isolate the problem.

Ok. Thanks. I am going to try to find out what is causing the noise in the first place following your procedure

1 Like

Hello @Azza,

Watch the video below and tell me if it helps you to solve your problem:
Why is my guitar rig BUZZING? - Dealing with 60 Hz HUM (“50 or 60 Cycle Hum”)

2 Likes

Thanks for the link

1 Like