Infamous STUCK - separate drone output? (and stacked drones...)

woah cool.
i’ll have time to check it out next week!

thanks a ton, @ssj71! :vulcan:

have you had a chance to play with it? I’m curious what you think.

man… i wish! not yet. :frowning:
i’m hoping to get to it this week, but next week for sure – for a show on the 6th!

i’ll keep you posted…

1 Like

works fine, very nice…
chords not quite smooth…
but bass drones & single notes are very clean.

Can the MOD’s footswitch be momentary?
That would be great when operating the STUCK’s on/off-switch.

Right, 2 or sometimes 3 string chords do pretty well too, but it uses a rather resource light technique that doesn’t do well with big 6 string chords (though it’s not horrible either, if I say so myself).

Thanks for the FB. I’ve been asking for a momentary switch option on MOD for a while with stuck specifically in mind, so its on the list but not sure when it will land. I think there’s some debate as to the best way to present the option to the user which makes it hard to get implemented (till everyone agrees how it should “look”).

3 Likes

Hi guys! I’ve just started playing around with this. While I’m hugely excited by the potential, it’s not quite working well enough to be particularly useful for me yet. I want to be able to stack big chords, e.g. 6 notes or more. Currently it seems that it struggles to capture a smooth sample even with 2 notes, so that means I’d need to combine at least 6 pedals and assign actuators for the “Stick it!” on each one, which isn’t really practical.

Is there another way I’m missing to cumulatively stack notes quickly? The plugin’s description certainly makes it sound like there is a way. But if not, it would be great if:

1. there was an extra actuator for stacking on top of the existing sample, and
  2. somehow it was fixed to reliably drone at least 2-note chords without any of the clicking/buzzing noises which usually happen with the current version. My DSP knowledge is virtually zero but I’m guessing that the challenge with this is finding a zero crossing point to start and end the sample, and this is much harder when you have two or more notes out of phase - is that right?

Thanks!!

stuck uses strictly time domain techniques which has the advantage of using less processing, but that means it can struggle under some conditions. There are a few things you can do to improve the quality of the drone like using a compressor in front, clicking the stick it button AFTER striking the strings, and playing chords as in tune as possible (error in the pitches of the chord makes the waveform aperiodic).

regarding your points: 1. requires a total refactoring of the code. Its not going to happen soon if ever. 2. yes thats right, though I used a much more sophisticated algorithm than a zero crossing, but the principle is the same.

I have spent hours and hours trying to make stuck work as smoothly as possible, testing dozens of tricks and techniques. I feel like I’m able to get decent results with 3 string chords, but to get it any better (which I really wish I could) I will have to jump to phase vocoder techniques which require FFTs and are going to add CPU load or latency (not to mention a total rewrite). Sorry I’m getting defensive.

1 Like