Input clipping with nothing connected [SOLVED]

Hmm wasn’t it a coincidence? can you confirm it?
On the downgrade, you just need to download one older version and do the update manually (make the device to be recognized as a storage device, etc.)

That theory can be thrown out the window - it’s not happening anymore. I’ve powered the Dwarf off and on again several times (with the USB cable plugged in) and it works fine so far.
Thanks for the info on downgrading - might come in handy someday, though hopefully not :smile:

3 Likes

Exactly. I totally understand that. That makes it harder also for us to understand what is really happening (so we fix it).

What do you mean? That first loads the default and then “rescues” the last loaded pedalboard?

Thanks. Please do that.

maybe @falkTX or @Jan can help you with that.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Well…knowledge is always helpful!
Thanks for reporting that.

In the following video, if you watch the screen after the 'MOD" boot splash screen, you can see it first loads the “Default” pedalboard, then loads the previously selected “Just Play” pedalboard.

Hopefully at some point I’ll have some time to publish my ‘Songwriters Sketchbook’ pedalboard and do some Youtube videos on my experience with the Dwarf. It really is very close to the self-contained solution I’ve been seeking for almost 15 years. If/when we have a simple multitracking plugin, it will really be the best songwriting tool I’ve found. Very close as it is right now!

4 Likes

Gotcha :wink: This is normal and expected.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: I can’t wait to watch those videos :wink:

Same problem here, in-out leds flashing with high noise (which can be dangerous in some situations…)

It happens randomly often after saving a PB in standalone, never connected to the web GUI.

Sometimes it freezes after saving, related to my snapshot /PB /save issue?

I had to power cycle several times until it boots with no problem.

Here is a video after a failed boot, and a freeze issue.

3 Likes

@zwabo I’ve experienced that same freeze issue as well, but only once, and I didn’t know how to recreate it.

Do you know what you’re doing to trigger it? Can you detail that so I can try to recreate?

1 Like

I’ve also had this issue a couple of times.
It did it a couple of weeks ago before I upgraded to the latest firmware. It was at a little gig - I’d played my set and then was asked back up after about an hour so had quickly set-up again. First time I powered it up I got the problem described above. After repowering it was OK. It was a straightforward setup - 2 ins, 2 outs, no USB etc.

Then it happened again today at home having upgraded to the latest firmware the other day. I think it was the first time it was powered-up today and went straight into the fault condition. Again repowering fixed it. While in the fault condition I was able to change the controls as usual and switching the pedals on and off affected the horrible noise but I couldn’t hear any input signal.
I tried altering the input gains but it made no difference.

I was using my own PSU (which claims to be 12V 3A) - not the standard Dwarf one. The previous time I think I was using a different 12v 2A PSU.

Hope that’s of some help

Ian

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting and for the video. We will try to replicate it on our side.

@ianr yes it is. Thanks for sharing. We will try to understand what it’s happening. Anyway, it shouldn’t even if you are using a different PSU - as long as it has the same specs it should be just fine.

1 Like

This exact thing is happening with one of our dwarves - we too have upgraded to the newest firmware. Luckily our in-ears were not in when I powered on, or I and my bandmates would have likely all sustained major hearing damage - the feedback was audible through the ears from many feet away. Very concerning to see other users having the same issue and I hope we can find a solution.

3 Likes

Yes, I have tested with both the original power supply and another rated the same - same issue on startup with both. We have also experienced this freeze issue, only when connected to a computer. All of these issues have happened after the most recent firmware update

UPDATE:
After reading through this thread I power cycled my dwarf about 10 times, and now I don’t seem to be having the issue anymore. However, given the potential dangers of the issue happening again while connected to monitoring it would be great to know some explanation of why the feedback was occurring to have a little peace of mind. Thank you all for your help!

Also, not sure if this is of note but we have 2 Dwarves as part of our live setup, both of which have been updated to the newest firmware. Only one was producing the feedback, but it did start a day after the firmware update for what that is worth.

2 Likes

@LorraineKindOf As allready mentioned, I had the same issue. But I had it only when the Dwarf has been connected to the PC via USB. I never had an issue when Dwarf has been a standalone device and I meanwhile did a lot with the dwarf: Gig, studio-recordings etc. It never had issues.

2 Likes

Does it still happen once a week for you? Yesterday during rehearsal we tried to edit a patch and after saving the dwarf froze again. I am hopeful that these issues only happen on startup or after saving a patch - that would at least keep it usable in the short term before a fix is ready. Still, if this many users are having this issue it is a rather huge bug that needs to be squashed as soon as possible.

1 Like

@LorraineKindOf No, is did not crash since two weeks round about. It is running fine. I am using the device for some hours every day. No iusses any more up to now.

1 Like

That is comforting to hear. We rehearsed for a few hours after it started working normally and did not have an issue until the freeze. Hopefully the issue does not persist as we tour with it

Indeed. Yet, this seems to be a really new thing and we are already trying to figure out what is happening…maybe on the right track now.

1 Like

Seems as though I may have spoken too soon - the issue is still happening. I don’t seem authorized to post a video but it looks very much the same as @zwabo and @FistfulOfStars. If there is any fix you are on the track of can you possibly send it through? As I stated above, we have built our set around these devices and touring starts in less than a week.

I guess now you should be able to do it.

We are investigating, but we will keep you updated

here’s my video: Mod Dwarf Power-up Issue - YouTube

I power cycled about 15 times and was able to get it to boot normally.

Thank you for looking in to this - this is a bit of an urgent matter for us so any help is greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to make a video! I know from experience that this is hard work… !

1 Like