Internal Clock

Hello. I am writing to you because since I bought the MOD DUO X, every time I connect it to an amplifier, you can hear the internal clock. When I use it with headphones it is not heard but when I plug it into an amplifier or a mixage board it is heard. And if this happens, I can’t use the Mod Duo X to play live. Can anyone help me please?

1 Like

What do you hear exactly? I maybe have a similar problem for which support has not found a solution yet…
A low end puslating noise ? Only on the 2 outputs, but not on the phones stereo output ?

2 Likes

Hello @Ariel,
Can you please write to support@moddevices.com, add a sample of the sound that you are describing or a video and also provide the serial number of your device?

2 Likes

What exactly do you hear? A high-pitched whine?

I believe I read somewhere in the forum that the headphone outputs are the exact same as the main outputs, so an internal noise would necessarily be present in the headphone outs as well. Please see here and here (MOD folks please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Output impedance is different between those outs, obviously.

3 Likes

Yes. Exactly

1 Like

Ok. Thanks

2 Likes

No. Like a computer’s internal clock

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, but obviously there’s something different here, for I have no low end parasitic noises whatsoever from the phones output, whereas they are all over the TRS outputs…
I accepted that digital devices don’t always work the way you expect them to.
I’m just curious now to find if I’m not alone with this low end pulsating noise…

Anyways, at the time I spoke with Joao on support, the tech team said that the unit might be faulty, and Joao offered a replacement unit with a test one they had left over there. I declined at the time because I needed it right away.
I dont use the TRS outputs since, and therefore can’t use the CV out as I would like, but that’s the way it is…
Maybe I’ll have more Luck with the digital output, if I find a good adapter and Can cope with the extra amount of latency…

3 Likes

Sorry, I do not know the inner workings of the MOD, that’s just what I read. Different outputs, even if hardwired to the same source, would have different amplification circuitry at the very end. Specially because output voltages are different between balanced and unbalanced.

Do not. They have to work as intended and advertised. If your unit is indeed faulty, you should absolutely get a new one or get yours fixed.

3 Likes

If my understanding is right, the base clock of a computer is 100MHz, then multplied by a number of times to achieve the desired/possible processor speed.

If instead you are getting audio dropouts from the interface, then you’d get sharp and quick crack sounds, most likely at a fixed time interval. Why that would happen in the main outs and not with headphones is beyond my knowledge of MOD devices.

I suggest you contact MOD directly at support@moddevices.com and get direct support from them.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Thank you for your help! I’m in contact with technical support

3 Likes

I had the same issue (maybe). It was caused by the power supply and changing it to another 12V supply solved the problem.

3 Likes