Ipad as a Midi Controler?

@jesse you could put OSC2MIDI on the mod as a stopgap which would give users access to all midi messages through OSC. If it just started at boot and always loaded the general midi mapping it could be documented and used without any changes to mod host or the UI. You would just need to know the DUO’s IP address and then connect the midi output of OSC2MIDI to your plugins. Just an idea.

you’d need the ipad connected to the mod though.
this means it needs to go through bluetooth, I’m not sure how good the latency would be for that…

it would be easy to test with any OSC device (android, ipad, or other). I know even through wifi, the latency is OK when you are just parameter tweaking. I’d expect it to be useable for knobs but not really for a piano type control. And it could be done over USB too which would make latency much better.

We will do some experiments with OSC2MIDI soon, thank you for the suggestion @ssj71!

Is it possible to connect midi via this dongle: http://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud/ ?

I don’t know if that dongle works, seems like a generic bluetooth dongle.

we did some tests with osc2midi and touch osc on an android phone, and it actually works!
the free android control app works too.
needs to go through bluetooth, which means disabling wifi and mobile data on android.
but latency is actually not bad at all.

something we’re starting to consider for v1.3…

1 Like

of course it does. I wrote it :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

(I did get a lot of help and testing from Albert too.)

1 Like

Hi MOD Duo Users,

i would like to know which way is the Best to make a connection MOD Duo and iPad ?

i just try to BlurTooth MIDI from iPad to Quicco mi.1rev3 (its BlueTooth MIDI Sender/Receiver which made by Engineers who quit YAMAHA) .

it works well , i guess. this is test movie (sorry, the video quality is bad…)

I got MOD Duo 2days ago, and just try to Wireless MIDI.
But i didn’t know there is a BlueTooth Donge/USB Connection Way.
then, i just tried to use Qicco m1.rev3 (sometimes i use it with Axolotl)

i haven’t test BlueTooth Dongle, so I’m not sure which way is better (of course its depend on the situation)

if somebody knows , let me know more better way !
(because I’m beginner)

i wanna know 2 good ways about good connection ways of iPad Apps to MOD Duo with “USB-WiredCable” and “Wireless way”(because its depends on the situation, and i still trust Wired Connection)

Of course i’m checking MOD Forum, but i couldn’t find the best answer.

Is “iPad with Bluetooth dongle ver4” a best way ?

Resurrecting this thread to talk about MIDI over USB. I hooked up my android phone, and on Android 6, as soon as you plug in a cable, one of the options for the connection is MIDI. there aren’t many apps that will connect automatically, but MACROMIDI works. And if you just want faders, it’s brilliant. They can be assigned to any MIDI channel and CC. The buttons sadly don’t have a toggle mode, so just send out a single CC value each time you push it, so no good for on/off control. There’s no way to label the fades or buttons, but you can choose your number of faders. There’s a mixer horizontal pan control but I can’t see how you can assign that to a specific CC number.

So, the question is, does anyone feel like making a MIDI controller for Android optimised for the Duo? Am more than happy to act as consultant on the project, if someone who’s comfortable with the Android SDK wants to build it. Could mock up screen designs if that helps, and I know there are a bunch of open source repositories that’ll help get us started :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… I was also able to route MIDI through the Duo to control my Looperlative by connecting the newly appeared midi input from my phone to the MIDI output in each pedalboard. (I’d love to have the option to add a connection like that to a patches as a batch operation, so I don’t have to open all 60+ pedalboards that I’ve programmed and add the connection to them :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I intend to use “Camelot”, it is an application that allows me various things, such as the management of the midi and therefore: audio sequences, change of score and change of sounds of the “MOD DWARF”. It is not clear to me how and what I should / can use between iPad and Dwarf. What do you recommend? Thanks

1 Like

Do you mean to connect both?

1 Like

I use the MD-BT01 as MIDI Interface for Pad to a MIDI-Device. (in my case a Kemper -Profiler) . The MIDI out has to provide the power-supply. As far I’ve seen at the above Video it is realized in the MOD Device (LED is on).
Therefore, I do not expect any problems with the Dwarf, which I am already eagerly awaiting.
For sending MDI information I use a setlist-programm. (Songbook+)
No further action neccessary by choosing a song in setlist.
Mainly I use commands to change banks and presets, but it’s also possibe change parameters of effects. (as fas the device has this MIDI-Implication)

[MD-BT01 - Overview - Accessories - Synthesizers & Music Production Tools - Products - Yamaha - United States]

1 Like

Hey there,

So I’ve messed a bit with wireless midi on the dwarf and found some stuff.

So first, you’ll want to make sure you have TRS midi, otherwise you’ll need an adaptor from to DIN to TRS.

I used the CME widi jack, which works well, and has multiple different midi cable adaptors (din5, 3.5trs, 6.3trs, din6), and the device has a switch to select either midi standard A or standard B. It also has a USB-c port for power in case the device does not supply power on the midi out.

I mention powered midi ports because the dwarf itself does not supply power from the midi out port.

At least it doesn’t on mine.

Wireless midi is awesome, and I do like it quite a bit, but it’s not ready for prime time in my set up because I have to continually connect everything wirelessly every single time I boot everything up.

That’s probably more of CME’s issue than anything else, but I’ve returned to using cables for the time being.

I just got a WIDI Jack for my personal use on the MOD Dwarf and can confirm everything that you mentioned. Honestly, I got a bit disappointed with the fact that the WIDI Jack comes with completely no cables and the USB port is just power (if it was capable to receive USB MIDI you could connect directly the port A of the Dwarf and have your MIDI managed from there as well as the power, like this either you use it just to power the WIDI jack or you need to plug the WIDI jack to another source of power).
The little box (WIDI Jack) in my opinion is not so inexpensive to not come along with a couple of cables. Especially when they use 2.5mm TRS (what is common just on headphones that you can plug the cable).
Let’s see if we can join enough enthusiasm and it’s not hard to implement Bluetooth MIDI directly on a Bluetooth dongle connected on the Dwarf :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: I wrote this post as a MOD user and not as a MOD team member :slight_smile: No promises here besides my “personal needs/feature requests” :wink:
As I also know a little bit about how to code and have experience coding Bluetooth MIDI devices I will gladly offer some of my free time to research and check if this is easy to implement.

2 Likes

Oh man, don’t get me started in the cable issue lol and of course they decided to use 2.5mm jacks, so you kinda have to buy their cables.

The widijack is great in a small set up with maybe one or two pieces of gear, but if you are doing more than that it gets frustrating.

I was particularly frustrated with needing 2 apps to pair and connect everything up.

I had purchased a pair from thomann and they refunded my order due to an extreme wait for one set of cables. However they still shipped my order without charging me.

When I saw the refund hit, I ordered a pair on Amazon and got those in.

I ended up with 4 widijacks in my set up and it became a routing nightmare.

Some of my gear provides power, some don’t.

Some of my gear only has midi in, and no power. So either way I still wound up with cables providing power to my “wireless” solution. Since I was gonna have to deal with wires, I just went back to my standard wired midi set up, it’s just a simpler solution in my case.

The concept is good if you want to use a mobile bluetooth device in your set up to send midi, but it wasn’t a great experience trying to get my tracker to control everything.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I will try my best to not do it haha. Probably I will do it for the DIN ones just to have it “in stock”, but I will try to avoid it for the others.

I agree. It took me a while to understand how to set it up. Even after seeing the device receiving messages, but not seeing it outputing.

1 Like

I used the midi port B to connect the DWARF with the iPad, and through the Camelot scenes the program changes change without having to touch the Dwarf, which is very convenient. The next step will be to change the control changes which I have no idea how to do.

2 Likes

I’m curious to watch some sort of video of you explaining and demo this setup :wink:

In this case Camelot manages the audio tracks, the change of sounds through “program change” and also the delay clock is synchronized, I can also synchronize the score.

The Camelot company: Camelot | Audio Modeling

I simply connected the iPad with DWARF via the MIDI B port (cable supplied by MOD). I was able to use the “program changes” by intuition. But I still don’t know how to use “control changes”. It would be interesting to be able to “map” DWARF and communicate to Camelot. To explain myself better with Camelot it is already possible to choose between a list of keyboards and multi-effects, you choose the brand and model and just connect them together. Not being on the Camelot MOD list, I am personally struggling a bit.

1 Like