Is the Mod Duo for me?

Hi There,

I’m a newbie. I’ve been reading around but I’m still a bit confused – more about what the pedal and available plugs can’t do than what they can. So here is my use case. I’m playing a BassVI with a drummer. Sometimes I set the tempo, sometimes I follow it.

Will I be able to do the following things with a mod duo?

1. Use it as a host for my KMI Soft Step 1, so I won’t need a computer or the MIDI expander? As I understand it, I can link any number of KMI buttons to any number of switches on pedals and parameters, correct? Do I use note messages or CCs or something else to do this?

2. Set up effects “scenes” where I can turn groups of effects on and off all at once using the Soft Step, and do so with complex and parallel routing? Could I for instance:
    –scene1: set tempo to 90bpm, clean sound with reverb, looper 1 cleared and ready
    –scene2: turn on looper record, turn on distortion, reduce feed to reverb (but leave a little in), send a midi program change message out the MIDI port to another pedal
    –scene3: turn off looper1, turn off distortion, boost reverb feed, start record on looper2
    –scene4: play looper1, turn on distortion, reduce reverb feed, stop looper2.
    –scene5, stop everything, mute input, launch sample (while I retune for the next piece)

For each scene, I’d like the expression controller plugged into my Soft Step to control a different parameter.

Etc. This is relatively easy to set up in Ableton Live with ClyphX. This is about as complicated as my setup gets.

1. Could I also use scenes (or whatever they’re called) to select between two inputs on the pedal? Let’s say I have a clean signal going into one and a distorted signal going into the other, or I have an EHX Superego pedal going into one input.

2. Tap tempo and sync time-based effects to tempo selectively (e.g., some, not all)? Or have preset tempos for different scenes?

3. The website says I can use Max/MSP patches. I own DensityGS which I love. http://www.apesoft.it/Blurb/Density.m4l_features.pdf How would I get that into the pedal?

4. Is there a sample player available?

I know this is a lot but I’ve been burned before buying new digital gear based on promises. I want to make sure it can actually do what I need it to do. And if it can’t, I want to know the limitations going in. I know there’s a return period, but still.

THANK YOU. Partial answers will also be accepted with gratitude.

Not sure why it took so long to get anyone to reply to you, but it sounds like you’re trying to do some awfully complex stuff - I’m just a humble guitar player after all. All I know that is that the MOD Duo is great for storing “scenes” that are limited to effects that are available within the MOD community. You won’t be able to add effects to the unit, but it looks like the “scenes” you posted above are all effects that are available. I’m guessing that if you were able to get those all loaded as scenes, you might find that the Mod Duo will let you down because there is a slight lag between banks - which was a killer for me. Then again, I found an elegant solution around the delay between banks using the crazy routing options available on the Mod.

Anyway, I hope someone else who uses the midi effects can answer your questions!