It's possible to download pedalboards outside Mod-Duo?

Hello,

as far as I know, it’s not possible to download pedalboards or use the store from a mod-ui installation on a desktop Pc or other devices (Raspberry Pi…)

so does it exists a simple way to access the pedalboards available in official site for those who don’t own a Duo?

I’ve found a dir inside mod-lv2-data repo, but I think is outdated.

Thanks

M

2 Likes

You can rebuild them

Reassembling many / most of them from the descriptions is possible, though you wouldn’t have the author’s presets. Many of the screenshots appear to be missing connections, or broken, or empty, so it wouldn’t be trivial.

@madmaxwell How many would you like to try? If you send a list of pedalboard links I could install them and then .zip them up for you.

Theoretically I think there shouldn’t be much (technically) preventing making the community pedalboards available for general download, as they’re just text files. I assume the MOD team wants to protect the user experience, and the installer works to make sure all the required plugins will be available. I mean, they may have valid business / IP reasons for not making the community pedalboard (definitions) more easily accessible, or it just hasn’t been a need yet. AFAICT it could be possible to have a public directory and/or versioned repository with the community pedalboards.

i was asked by the support to post my question in the forum. i found this post which is kindof similar

for me as a zynthian user it would be great if the pedalboards website would either accept mod-ui running on the zynthian as a mod device in the network i can download the pedalboard too, or there would be an option to download the pedalboardfile.
why should the few diy guys that run mod-ui on computer or rasppi not be allowed to try those pedalboards.

in terms of business: i doubt, that people will make huge use of mod-ui on zynthian without the presets, since zynthian can do simmilar routing. on the other hand i want to see whether i can make great use of the mod pedalboards via mod-ui before maybe buying a moddevice…

2 Likes

I’m not a team member, but maintaining a version outside of the MOD hardware ecosystem would be a major drain on the limited resources they have available. I think most device owners like myself would much rather that time/effort/money be put to use on the official platform itself.

That said, MODEP does what you’re asking for already. It’s module of Patchbox OS, which is a PI-compatible MOD Duo “emulator” that lets you save and load pedalboards like you would with a MOD device.

It hasn’t been updated in a few years, so it’s similar to what the Duo was like as of 2020, and it doesn’t have some of the major new plugins.

I used this on my rPi 3b (with a Scarlett 2i2 interface) to test out the platform before getting my Dwarf.

It is a great way to test the waters - Just keep in mind a real device is newer, more feature-rich, less buggy, and has far less latency.

I’m unfamiliar with the Zynthian implementation of the MOD-UI, so this info may be redundant, but I hope it helps regardless.

4 Likes