Live Midi Loop Sequencing?

Im on the fence about getting a dwarf: im after Quantized midi loops
I’m coming from using Korg Gadget on the ipad: which is amazing, but the ipad as a reliable platform is making me nervous: i’ve had big glitchy noises mid performance runs at home, and know i cant use it live in public…

Has anyone been able to play midi notes into a sequencer live from a midi keyboard and have it loop? - like a groovebox?

Goal: to a click track; record live midi quantized drums, bass, keys, and loop live guitar, all in sync, somewhat like the Roland MC707

I feel like this is possible, i just cant find the info i’m looking for…

1 Like

I’m no MIDI expert (I just ordered my first MIDI cables today), but I saw this video published today and I think it might give you a better idea of some possibilities.

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of midi and audio looping over the years, and there are many devices which can do midi looping, but then the finer details of ‘how’ they do it is what will count. Most gear that does midi looping records your first take, then plays it, or you can go straight to overdub. In a live scenario neither is ideal.

I use a Squarp Pyramid, and this has a recording option, to replace on each pass of the loop, instead of overdubbing (overdub is also an option of course). You can use a footpedal to start recording, and it will loop while you record, and you can just keep recording over the same section, and when you feel you have the best take, you use the footpedal to disengage recording, and your last ‘best’ take is now looping. I have not seen another midi sequencer or a drum machine or MPC which will do this. Most gear doesn’t even allow using a footpedal, so you need a free hand to hit record.

I have not been able to create something on the Mod Duo X to replicate this type of midi looping. If someone has, I would love to see it as well.

2 Likes

I do love my Mod Duo X, it’s one of the core pieces of gear in my setup, but my experiences with midi sync and latency would never make it my first choice for midi looping. I believe those things will eventually be improved in future OS releases, and there are a few threads about that stuff on the forum.

1 Like

MIDI looping is not yet possible in a super easy way on the MOD platform (in fact I’m not sure if it’s possible at all, but I’m not the best person with loops overall). Yet, audio looping with Looperlative is now really powerful in the platform.

1 Like

Is Looperlative available on the Mod now? Or just Dwarf?

Release_1.12

2 Likes

Thanks @khz :slight_smile:

1 Like