Looking for advice on the right distortion plug-in to try

Hey MODsters

So I feel that we have an “embarrassment of riches” with plug-ins in general, but distortion pedals in particular - there are so many choices. (Which is obviously awesome).

So to help me pare down the learning curve possibly, I thought I would canvas for any input from the community among guitarists most specifically (but maybe bassists too) as to which of the available distortion plug-ins you would recommend to a newb such as Yours Truly for achieving a really super sweet, smooth, singing kind of tone, and by that description I have in mind players like Alan Holdsworth (who, I’m told, used a J. Rockett h/w pedal that is no longer available) and Robert Fripp (who reportedly uses or has used a ProCo Ratt). My ears tend to be averse to nasty, dirty grunge (although, strangely, I like listening to Sun O))) records when I’m in the mood) and for playing, I prefer that sweeter sustain kind of sound.

Any suggestions on that much appreciated.

Cheers
Frank in Vancouver

1 Like

Same here. My ‘Gold Standard’ is BB King ‘Live at the Regal’ and Eric Clapton on ‘Crossroads’ from the 'Wheels of Fire" album. Haven’t come close to that with anything - pedal, plug-in or other - that does the job. Only a maxed out champ, princeton reverb or deluxe reverb or the original Blues Jr. have done that for me. We’re headed there, I think, but we’re not there yet.

2 Likes