Looper - Ditto X2

Aren’t discussions with strong opposition great, @gianfranco? And I dont only say that because I would prefer a system-wide availability. :smiley:

I reckon, the reasoning behind your position is, that the system would become too cluttered and disorganised. And I agree. But then again, it would be necessary to distinguish different types of files anyway:

• loops
  • backing tracks
  • short samples for a drum machine
  • full songs to play along
  • impulse responses / convolution files

Tricky stuff. If I had to suggest an implementation, I would probably meditate about these categories some time and then create a central upload folder with subfolders for each category. Additionally, each pedalboard would get an own folder (equal to the pedalboard’s name) and I would create soft links from the central upload folder to the pedalboard folder for each file used in this pedal board.

Softlinks are great anyway. Easy to build “favorites” and “last used” folders…

But well, you have an excellent track record and I am sure you can come up with something better. I look forward to it! :+1:

In my case I would kind of hope part of the interface could be deported to the tablet linked to the mod Duo (ideally in Wifi once it comes).
As I play with loops, add them remove them, it’s ok if I do not play all the time, I can focus a bit on the screen to do what I want, but also I can use my feet to change parameters on other effect avoiding a static sound.

this discussion is very exciting :smiley:

Any progress on looper stuff?

Hello everyone, I’ve been following this thread hoping for something new happening on the looper…
What i really would love to see is a MIDI sync function, I play a lot with a drum machine and it is very hard to perfectly sync my guitar riffs with it…
Is this something you guys are looking at?

1 Like

the biggest dealbreaker for me with the standard looper is the clicking noise if I keep playing when pushing the record button.

I think @solobasssteve confirmed the problem too. But he gets along with it by playing with better technique.

1 Like

@brusch

@solobasssteve gave me nice tip about the clicking noise:

1 Like

@rogeriocouto
I know about this tip. That’s what I meant with "But he gets along with it by playing with better technique"
But this doesn’t work for my style of playing with loops (but I have to commit that it’s pretty poor).

I don’t have this problem with looper foot pedals and I think that this problem should be fixed.

1 Like

…it definitely needs fixing - finding workarounds is about making something usable until it’s fixed, not a reason to not fix it :slight_smile:

If anyone’s working on this, my wishlist for the looper in terms of priority would be to have the click fixed, have the option to go straight from record into overdub (which may actually be the way around this, as it should eliminate the broken wave form if the sound is continuous, unless you start recording while there’s sound going in) and a feedback control/loop decay/whatever you want to call it, so we can make loops fade. Also a stereo version would be AMAZING (a stereo version would basically be on the outputs of every patch I have with enough spare CPU for it to be there…)

After that, I’d love for it to have multiply, and the option to sync to delays/clock/other looper instances in a plugin etc. but one thing at a time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I´m looking forward to this fix and now looking forward to all the other features that @solobasssteve is asking for!!!:grin:

2 Likes

…uh-oh… just to throw a wrench in the works (and kinda surprised no one else asked about this): i make huge use of variable loop-speed, available both in record and in playback for each loop in SooperLooper (http://essej.net/sooperlooper/)

:slight_smile:

…would love to see more looper development for MOD…

1 Like

yes please

1 Like

I agree with a lot of the sentiments above - I like how the Boss RC2 works

Tap to Record
Tap into Play
Tap to Record Overdub
Double Tap hold to Clear

It means only one switch needs to be assigned to the looper

2 Likes

Hello all!

Is it possible to assign actuators, or
is there any scheme to record and play loops by Sooper Looper
only with mod duo itself (without midi controls)?

If there is one, could you share please how you do it?
I can’t get it working.

Default setup for Sooper Looper in modduo records for seconds and then starts to play,
if you hit footswitch again you get next small record playing on top.

It would be nice to be able to set following example controls for a looper:
Press for Record / play for a while / Release to Stop Recording and Play it, if there is no immediate Press right after.
If there is Press, don’t play. Play on next Tap.
If Press/Release is too quick, it counts as Tap.
On any first Press it’s starts recording, put it just get dumped if Release is quick enough.

And it would be fun to try controls from BossRC or Ditto, they also have only one footswitch.

1 Like

Hi,

today, I have started writing a little looper. After a couple of hours it seems to be working fine. It has the following features:

• Stereo inputs and outputs (that’s why I did it mainly)
  • A compiled in max number of overdubs (currently 128), a compiled max overall recording time (currently 3 minutes)
  • Configurable input threshold; when starting the recording it can wait until a certain threshold is reached
  • Record / Play / Clear with one button (clear with double click; basically what @sonoptik asked for)
  • Undo / Clear on second button (clear with double click)
  • Redo / Clear on additional separate buttons
  • No clicks even when sounds is still playing at loop end (at least in my tests)

Of course although it seems to work fine for me it needs a lot more testing. If someone is interested I would be interested in having some people test it. Have to work out what is the easiest way for that, though… Also I am not sure if the controls are the best. I wanted to have the Boss scheme, with one button, so that the other is still free for something else. But changing the controls (or adding more options) is easy. Let me know…

5 Likes

how about variable speed?! :slight_smile:

No variable speed, for now :wink: . But to be honest I don’t really know what it means: Do you want to be able to replay the loop at a different tempo and different pitch. That would be relatively easy, if the pitch does not change that much. But I guess that won’t be useful. Changing the tempo with unchanged pitch might be doable, but I would have to research what the best way to do it is. And then the processor usage (which is really minimal for now, like 1% per dub) would be up much higher.

One thing I added is a button to go directly into the next dub.

2 Likes

Changing tempo w changing pitch (a la tape machine) is imho very useful… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, that should be doable in a later version (even if I would like to learn for what :slight_smile:).

2 Likes

…yeah, changing tempo AND pitch is what i meant. i use it a lot for more ambient, sound-effecty, noise stuff rather than pitch.

2 Likes

I think - like Plutek - changing tempo & pitch would be very attractive for ambience, landscapes, collages, building loops onto others etc… very exciting, indeed!
atm I use a Boomerang 3 and a Ditto x2, and they only do octaves and reverse,
I would love to have more control over loops.

1 Like