Looperlative - LP3 Basic

LP3 is still on the store yes.
It is available for the Dwarf since 1.11, and Duo X since 1.12 (currently in release testing phase).
It is not available for the Duo.

4 Likes

Where can I find the manual/documentation for this plugin? I’ve seen it referenced in other threads but have searched around without any luck.

1 Like

Hello @bleo B.Leo,

you will find the LP3 documentation on your MOD device.
Click the info button of the Looperlative plugin to find a link to the documentation.

I have a MOD Duo X and the “See Documentation” link points to
modduox.local/effect/file/documentation?uri=http%3A//looperlative.com/plugins/lp3-mod-basic&v=1_0_1_9
in my case.
I hope this info and picture helps to find it on your device, too.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

5 Likes

Aha! Thank you! It was right there under my nose the whole time!

5 Likes

Is there any chance to implement that double-tap on simplified LOOP trigger (when Recording) without releasing second tap for some time will do Erase?

Currently, flow is the following - tap to Record, double-tap to Stop, long press to Erase from stopped state. However, before long press is registered, there is a short period of time when loop starts playing triggered by initial press of the long press.

I understand why starts playing -, this allows precise timing to launch the loop, but as it is you cannot do erase without a second of undesired noise.

Doing double tap without releasing the second tap to Erase (like doubletap and longpress combined) is how I remember BOSS RC-300 works, and that seems much less confusing and will allow erasing without unwanted partial play of the loop.

4 Likes

Does the Multi Button to CV help you? Check more here

2 Likes

In this case, unlikely. I mean - desired behavior heavily relies on the state of the looper, that is known only to the looper itself. I hardly can imagine how “double tap with long release of the second tap only when looper is in recording state” can be expressed in CV modules.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I got it.
The Multi Button to CV used on the Looperlative will have the Looperlative reflecting the state of the Multi Button to CV. The double tap on that is a normal (fast) double tap.

2 Likes

Just upgraded my MDX to 1.12, just to get that nice feature for visual feedback of the looper.
Found out that it does not work on my setup.

Currently I use m-wave chocolate midi foot pedal, via midi bluetooth dongle.

As far as I understand, HMI kicks in only when physical buttons are assigned to the looper controls. But it is, at least, unlikely that I will do foot taps on the MDX buttons. They are not footswitches. Also looks like MIDI cannot be assigned in parallel with physical buttons.
Therefore, seems to me that midi controls and led feedback are mutually exclusive. Which, in case of lack of footswitches on MDX means that I can only use looper blindly.

Do I miss some workaround, or I’ve lost this battle?

1 Like

For loop status (record, play, stop, …), you can assign the “EXTRA STATUS LED” to a function that is tied to an MDX button. So, you will need to have at least one function on an MDX button.

If you assign the TRACK selector to an endless knob, you can read your current selected track from that.

BTW, I’m currently the MDX in combination with a MIDI controller for foot switches.

5 Likes

Thank you, that was very useful. This option is hard to notice for me. Maybe it is flu and temperature that I’ve got, but I could not find it for about half an hour even knowing that is should be there :slight_smile: Anyway, seems like it solved my problem.

Here is my attempt to set Looperlative using two footswitches of my m-wave chocolate 4 footswitch controller.

(I use two footswitches on chocolate dedicated for delay and overdrive control, leaving me with only two footswitches for looping, and therefore “minimized” controls.)

One (left in my case) MDX screen is enough for required assigments, using only half of an assignments page.

1. assign: Button 1 - Erase function.

Works as a panic button. As I still have some issues with stopping and erasing everything, even while it is much easier now when I at least understand what state looper is in now, still good to have panic button, even if I have to push it by hand.

2. lp3 setting: Extra led status : Erase.

First button with Erase function starts showing green,red,white indication of
    playing/overdubbing, recording, empty state respectively

3. assign: Button 2 - Part

I am not going to actually touch it, but it provides color indication for the current track and part with four colors, and button text label provides some additional info to read as well.

4. assign: Endless knob 1: Track

Not going to do something with this knob actually But it provides on-screen text label that shows current Track and part status with text label.
    Harder to see than color indication from Button 2, however handy when you still doubt what these colors mean.

5. Midi bindings (minimized controls):

For both midi bindings, midi pedal is configured to send 127cc value when footswitch is pressed, and 0cc value when released.

a) Track/Part switch

b) Loop switch
    notice:
    Contrary to how I understood documentation, quote “From stopped, a single press starts the track playing. A long press erases all tracks.”
    seems like it does not erase all tracks, but instead erases only current track and part.
    Yet another reason to have that dedicated erase/panic button.

6. lp3 setting Recording mode : Self-sync.
    Makes sure that recorded parts and tracks will be in sync with each other, probably it is something that one needs by default for basic stuff, if not - you already know better what you need here.

With this controls configuration, I have access to recording, overdubbing, tracks, parts, and have two color-coded HMI indicators.

Four pots on the screen are free, and can be set, to, for example, volume pots or feedback, or whatever. Probably it could be a starting point for other people who are just starting their attempts to make use of LP3.

Pretty much more than I had yesterday, I would say.

1 Like

The LP3 plugin doesn’t actually have any knowledge of what is a MIDI button and what is an MDX button. The long press does work on the MDX buttons. If it doesn’t work on the MIDI buttons, then we’ve found another failing in the MOD base software.

That said, I personally never liked the horrendously overloaded multi-button. I think it is an abomination and only put it in at the request of MOD. I think it is much better to have erase, undo and redo on separate buttons. In fact, this is my configuration:

Endless knobs: Track and Trigger Function
Knobs: Volumes and Feedbacks
Buttons: Play/Stop (Extra status LED assigned to this), Erase and Loop Multi (for the track color indication)

My MC6 MIDI controller has Rec/Dub, Trigger, Undo and Redo.

2 Likes

After a couple of days of looping attempts, I’ve found it almost impossible to make use of “parts” with minimized controls multibuttons. Formally they are still accessible, but in practice I could not make use them for something meaningful, it is just too complicated tap dancing. From that perspective I should agree.

However, otherwise from that - it seems to be very helpful in my case, when there are only two footswitches to spare for looping. Maybe I will get Softstep one day, or will finalize my own diy controller, and it will open the road to more convenient controls but before that - this abomination is my way to go, so I hope you are not going to deprecate it :smiley:

At least I am really able to record/overdub/stop (per single track) and use both tracks, and that’s usable enough. Quite good for the two button controls.

The LP3 plugin doesn’t actually have any knowledge of what is a MIDI button and what is an MDX button. The long press does work on the MDX buttons. If it doesn’t work on the MIDI buttons, then we’ve found another failing in the MOD base software.

Interesting part is that MDX physical button (in momentary_on mode) behaves the same way, I’ve tested today.

Documentation says for LOOP switchbutton:
From stopped, a single press starts the track playing. A long press erases all tracks.
Actual behavior I see is:
From stopped, a single press starts the track playing. A long press erases current track

(or maybe current part of current track, but as I said I could not make much of the parts mechanics anyway, so I’ve skipped testing parts thing)

Real behavior makes sense to me, I even am not sure what is better - documented or actual behavior, as for me - I am fine as it is. But reality does not match written documentation.

P.S. / Something like feature request below:

The only actual thing that I consider requiring fixing at the moment is that I can clean track via LOOP multibutton only from the stopped state, and before couple of seconds will pass that are required for LP3 to detect that it was actually long tap, it is temporary considered as a short tap, that triggers “play” action and track plays unwanted head of the previously stopped track. (I was mentioning it somewhere above in this thread, I believe that feasible fix for this problem is that double tap during playback should clear the track, in case if the second tap of the double tap sequence is long.

I’ve seen behavior like that on at least one of my loopers - jamman solo. I do not access to these looper anymore due to war and other stuff, but here is a quote from Jamman Solo manual:

Basically, as you can see it is the same behavior as LP3:minimized_controls when erasing from the stopped state, but erasing from playback or recording is missing in LP3, and it would be great to get it, I am bumping into this all the time, intuitively trying to do this doubletap+hold move by muscle memory.

I guess there is no much sense in asking for changes when even mod cloud is dead, but if MOD reboot is going to be successful and LP3 development will continue, please consider this particular thing as a feature request.

1 Like

Just checked. The code erases the current part of the current track. So, now the question is fix the code or fix the documentation. The question is which is the more useful behavior.

1 Like

Interesting possibility. I still prefer erasing using a dedicated button, but this is possible.

2 Likes

Erasing from record is impossible with a single button control. As soon as you press once, you need to close the loop which put the loop in play or overdub for at least a short time while you are double tapping or long pressing. From play back you want to be able to stop, undo or erase. Again, you have too many options for a single button. This is why realistically, a single button looper will always have some difficulties. A 2 button looper gives you far more choices.

2 Likes

I believe that for me is more advantageous to clear the current track as I can still be wanting the second track playing. So, having that in the multifunction switch is better and having a erase/panic button like you said is perfect for clearing everything.

Because I usually have asynchronized loops playing that are not necessarily connected. Thus, erasing one track, while leaving the second playing and recording something new on the one that was just deleted, makes my performance move and continue. I also have volume and feedback controls on the knobs. Endless knobs allow me to choose betwen synched tracks or asynchronized depending where i want to go.

4 Likes

Hi @looperlative. Congratulations for the great job done.

I think I found a little problem when Iusing an external foot midi controler to control looper funtions.
All assigns worked good except the Track. If I use device buttons to control funtion it’s ok.
Something isn’t working for Track midi control.

1 Like

You trying to map the Track selector or the Track/Part button? I suspect both are limited by the platform, but I’ll go run a quick check.

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick answer. Tried Track selector because it’s simpler.

1 Like