Mastering for streaming concerts

There are a few people here on the forum who have already asked for some kind of mastering tool.

I use the DuoX as the last link in the chain for streaming concerts, behind the mixing console, before it goes into digital conversion, so the setup is perhaps a little unusual.

Side 1: It starts with a reverb to add spatiality when the musicians play their instruments directly into the mixer.
At the top of the page, you can also set the main input level and the main output level.

Page 2: A parametric EQ, starting with Lowpass & Highpass filters, followed by Lowshelf and Highshelf.

Page 3+4: The respective frequency bands of the EQ with frequency, gain and bandwidth, whereby on page 3 the gain within the EQ and a post-EQ gain can be controlled separately.

Page 5: On the left a compressor, on the right the final limiter.

The available components may not replace high-end equipment with separate devices, but they offer everything you need to bring the streams to a good sound and volume level in just one small box and, above all, in a portable way.

10 Likes

Thank you a lot for sharing this with us :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great

I noticed yesterday in the stream that 1db of input gain in the final limiter already means a lot in terms of perceived loudness.
I have therefore uploaded a version 1.1 where the control range in the input gain of the limiter can be set more precisely.

here is the setup for yesterday (6 cams):

6 Likes

The little dj thingy - can you tell me more? I’ve seen them around online. Do they have a sync function ala traktor?

It is the Go-DJ which was distributed by Monster (https://monstergodj.com/).
I saw it for the first time at a well-known DJ in Berlin, who had the thing with him as a backup “when the vinyl players stop spinning”.
Then I waited a long time until I could buy it from a London dealer as a “Singapore import” for 130€, because it was always too expensive for me. (You have to find it second-hand anyway)
Now I have been using it for 5 years, for music recording, backup, but also for DJing, and I can say the following:
Advantage: It sounds extremely good. The D-A converters are excellent and can’t be compared to any other mobile device, much better than all the iPhones, iPods and other MP3 players I’ve used. Made by pros.: Very well built and finished, it has all the important features, so it compares well with Traktor, EQ, LP filter, stutter, looping ect., but no sync, only internal beat-matching.
Disadvantage: The controls are quite small. The internal memory can hold up to 2TB with an SD card, but there is a file limit of 9000 files. That sounds like a lot, but my complete collection doesn’t fit on it, even though there would be enough space. The playback formats are exclusively MP3 and WAV (up to 96khz), no Flac or ogg or AAC. And: The company no longer exists - no updates, no service. They obviously misjudged the successor device, which was more of a toy and is no longer in production.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I saw them floating around at release, and the price was too much, especially as the company weren’t well known in the field,so decided to ignore it.

I then heard about the company folding and the woes and felt that the decision to ignore was the right one.

However, from time to time, I feel like playing around on the decks again, after my retirement from that world, and thought if this little thing had sync, it would be worth having around for those times.

I think the interface is too small and fiddly for me to do any manual beat matching, so if it had sync it would be a perfect companion.

Thanks