MIDI bug - changes bank to 'All' pedalboards

sending out a simple PC causes the Dwarf to freak out.

After loading a board from a Bank, I then send PC 2 on the dwarf MIDI channel (this should load pedalboard 2 within the bank that I previously loaded) sometimes it works as should and loads correctly, 10% of the time it will load the 2nd pedalboard from the Bank which contains ‘all’ pedalboards, I thought that bank changing was impossible to start with (read on the wiki) but even so, I’m not sending any MIDI info that should change that. This is making the pedal useless if I have to load the bank by pressing buttons on the Dwarf, (hey everybody can we pause this song I just have to scroll through several menus - at a live show…) I am monitoring MIDI messages and there are none that should be doing this (eg a LSB or MSB message are not being sent - even though I believed you cant change banks through MIDI) I have also isolated the Dwarf in a MIDI chain to see if there was any interference but the issues persist.
To clarify I’m sending MIDI messages from a Boss ES5, each patch on the ES5 has several MIDI messages to different channels. The only MIDI message on the Dwarf channel is ‘PC 2’ - I should get the 2nd pedalboard in the bank I loaded. instead sometimes randomly switches to the 2nd Pedalboard that is in alphabetical order in the All pedalboards bank

3 Likes

You need to have the correct bank open on the MOD Dwarf and not the “All pedalboards” bank.
I personally use this quite a lot with no problems other than making sure that I’m in the bank that I wish. If you send a PC message out of the range of that bank you may indeed be “kicked out” of the bank into the “All Pedalboards” bank.

Hi Jon,

I already have the bank I want open after selecting a board from it say eg Bank 1. this behaves for 90% but then will boot me out to the All pedalboards without sending a PC message out of range

Are you sure that the Boss ES5 is not sending a PC message for some reason without you noticing it? Have you double-checked it with a MIDI monitor?
I’m asking because I use it with some DIY controllers and it works perfectly. I just jump out in the situations that I mentioned.

Yeah I’ve got MIDI monitor running and am examining the messages. All clear on the MIDI monitor

1 Like

There’s a bank change on a different MIDI channel, could the dwarf be messed up with the MIDI channel it receives?
eg MIDI channel 4 sends 0LSB 0MSB PC 4. MIDI channel 8 (dwarf) sends PC 2 (LSB MSB OFF)

Yes. Have you tried to disable that and check if the behavior still happens?

Yes I have disabled that and tried sending just PC messages. directly to the Dwarf and it still kicks me out of the bank about 30% of the time now

I have a loop on cubase with PC midi sending out different PC values as a test, a MIDI file spread over 8 bars with a PC change at random timing. When I get to PC 3 it kicks me out (the PC error before was PC 2 so the lower values are messing it up?)

And do you have a 3rd pedalboard saved on that bank?
Sorry if it is a silly question, I’m just trying to find the best way for us to try to replicate it

Yes I have 100 pedalboards saved on the bank that I select before MIDI

1 Like

ok. So I guess we will need to investigate this deeper than me sharing my experience with it - I really don’t face that issue.
The last thing that I thought about: are you cycling between pedalboards like 1->2->3->… or 3->2->1 or are you jumping like 2->5->10->1->15->… ?
I ask because I’m using the cycling as a page-turner method and maybe a different one is what triggers that problem.

Jumping between pedalboards eg 2->5->10->1->15-> etc

1 Like

Ok. So there is where your usage differs from mine. We will investigate it