MIDI "Chocolate" šŸ« controller with the Mod Dwarf, an introduction

Update:
I was able to invert the expression pedal within the Dwarf pedalboard by adding a ā€œControl to CVā€ and a ā€œCV Attenuvertorā€ pedal.
I assigned the expression pedal to the Control to CVā€™s Control knob, then fed the output into the CV Attenuverter Booster with its multiplier set to -1 and the offset set to 5v.

Then click ā€œMange CV Portsā€ and tick the box for the booster and you can assign this to your pedal.

Bit of a pain but it works and saves me having to modify my expression pedal.

4 Likes

Yes. You can use CV plugins to invert any value

EDIT: exactly what @ianr wrote on the update post

This is weird since they both share the same platform and if it recognizes it should work (most likely not a USB port issue). Can you send us a screenshoot on how it appears on the MID ports list?

Hi Jon,

Iā€™ve just had another go and have now got it to work - hooray!

It looks like the issue is that if you swap the M-Vave unit between the Dwarf and the Duo you have to switch it off and on again for it to work correctly. Itā€™s strange because the M-Vave is recognised correctly by the MOD and everything looks like it should work - it just doesnā€™t!

In fact even if you disconnect the M-Vave and reconnect it to the same MOD device the MOD will recognise it but you still have to re-power the controller before it will control anything. Looks like a bit of a bug in the M-Vave but at least thereā€™s an easy solution.

Thanks for spurring me to work this one though - Iā€™ll now offer to lend it to my friend with the Duo!

3 Likes

Hi @ianr

Great news!

It makes some sense since the MIDI initialization may happen after receiving some message - so the code moves on to a different cycle and does not come back there if not rebooted.

Somehow yes. But maybe it was needed for some reason. I can see it especially because of the BLE MIDI pairing situation. Maybe the MIDI classes are shared both on BLE and USB MIDI.

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile: Iā€™m happy to help as always.
Please let me know the feedbacks of your friend.

2 Likes

That would be sweet! keep us updated with your progress!

2 Likes

I received the M-Vave Chocolate today, but Iā€™m facing some problems trying to control the Dwarf. Perhaps someone can help. Clickling a footswitch (e.g. FS ā€œAā€ ) on the Chocolate, I only can manage to turn OFF plugins. Itā€™s not possible to turn them ON once again. Only when I click with the mouse in the guiā€¦I also tried the workaround with the CV, but I have the same problem, the it only ā€œgoes in one directionā€ā€¦ On which midi messages do the plugins react?!
Here are the settings in the CubeSuite Software (windows). I also cannot find the control mode (like it is described in the tutorial SrMouraSilver).

So Iā€™m a bit confused. I have to say that Iā€™m quite new the whole midi cc, pc, etc. stuffā€¦ so surely its my faultā€¦ but nevertheless it would be nice if someone could help!

Select

Advanced Control Mode

Single Button switch between 2 banks

to control fx on and off set the chocolate to custom profile at the bottom of the list.

Then choose A then B button behaviour.

Choose CC For Button A

Midi Channel

CC number

Then 0 for second value.

Do same again with B value but this time the 2nd value is 127

Check what your chocolate is sending out using any midi monitor - I use MIDOX but there are plenty of others.

The behaviour you want to see is the value 127 on first press (On) and then 0 on second press (Off)

A BANK

CC 1 21 0

B BANK

CC 1 21 127

Not used the windows editor - i use the android app which looks slightly different. Will download the pc version to confirm the steps.

Hope that helps - if you are still struggling let me know and I will post pics

5 Likes

you all sorted now?

1 Like

Interesting. Iā€™ll need some time to read the whole post.

One question: am I wrong or the bluetooth capabilities are enabled by a CME Widi clone dongle? Is it included with the controller or is it to be purchased separately?

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve managed it to get it work! thanks a lot for your help!

Here are the settings:

The only thing I find a bit annoying for live use is the lack of visual control of the chocolate to see if a plugin is on or off. The display only shows only two zeros (00).

3 Likes

Glad to hear it. I know what you mean about feedback but for the money I sort of let it off ; )

1 Like

Did notice a new update for the editor - it now allows CC to be inversed, making the expression pedal the right way round now.

Hope thats of interest

6 Likes

Great, thanks for the info.

Hello,

I donĀ“t use the Mod Dwarf but I bought the Chocolate. Did anybody got it working with a bluetooth connection?
I finally got it working Via USB and my Positive Grid Bias FX 2, but IĀ“d prefer not to have it wired to my Notebook when I play live. I have it recognized as a Bluetooth HID, but cannot find it anywhere within Windows 10 as a Midi device?

If anybody could help, IĀ“d really appreciate that :slight_smile:
Thank you

Foeb

I think youā€™re out of luck when it comes to windows. I donā€™t have the Choclate but most of BLE devices Iā€™ve tested didnā€™t work. Support for BLE and especially BLE Midi isnā€™t very good. Did not test it with Windows 11 but I think its the same.

Thereā€™s actually a way to make it work, but you need a workaround that makes Windows think that you are connecting a USB MIDI device.
MIDI Berry will help you :wink:

Can you make a tutorial for that? Im planning on buying it though

Sadly the Chocolate is not compatible with WIDI ( a great set of BLE Midi dongles with various features and form factors). CME (the makers of WIDI) say the issue lies on the Chocolate side, theyā€™ve offered to work with Cuvave (M-vave) on this

2 Likes

Sadly the Chocolate is not compatible with WIDI ( a great set of BLE Midi dongles with various features and form factors).

CME (the makers of WIDI) say the issue lies on the Chocolate side, theyā€™ve offered to work with Cuvave (M-Vave) on this, send them hardware, etc. M-Vave has not responded. CME asks customers to contact M-Vave and ask them to fix it.

If you want to message them to fix this, try the form on this page: www . cuvave . com/lxwm (The emails bounced when I tried to send a message that way)

3 Likes