MIDI Learn Issues

I am having trouble mapping my Logidy UMI3 to anything on the Duo. I have enabled the UMI3 MIDI port. Each of its switches emits a note on/off message. I am following this procedure for MIDI learn (from the wiki):

Press the fader icon next to a parameter in the plugin configuration screen
Select an actuator(*) from the drop-down list and press save
If “MIDI Learn” was selected, send the desired MIDI command, it will be detected by the system

I am not sure why my switch presses are not detected by the system.

The Duo is receiving MIDI, as I can trigger the JX10 with, for example, a C4 note.

It should work as you described. What plugin and parameter are you trying to assign?

1 Like

I’ve tried setting the SooperLooper reset, undo, and redo switches, but I haven’t had success with switches on other pedals, either.

I misread your message. I don’t think we support Note On/Off to control parameters right now. But I might be wrong.

I wonder if the MIDI specification document is available.

I use it all the time. It used to be harder to find, but now they’re all here: https://www.midi.org/specifications

1 Like

I should have been more clear. I wonder where the MIDI implementation document for the MOD Duo is located. It seems like mapping note on/off to a switch in the Duo should be straightforward.

Are there any MIDI diagnostic tools for the Duo? I’d like to see what it’s receiving.

If you use ssh I believe the jack_midi_dump app is on there and you can use that.

Barring that you could just connect the input to the output on the pedal board then connect mod midi out to a computer and use a midi monitor there.

1 Like

Is there documentation for the user credentials one needs to shell into the Duo?

https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Developers#Technical_information
user: root
pw: mod

Thank you, sir!

@skellogg, were you ever able to get the Logidy to work with the Duo? I just picked up my Logidy and it doesn’t quite work. Just looking for some help here… thanks!

It will work if you have the Logidy helper app working. You’ll need to set up a 2 step sequence. Step 1 sends one CC value (127) to turn the toggle on, and the next step sends another (0) to turn it off. I might have those backwards. So, yes, it works, but not if the UMI3 is standalone. You’ll need to plug it into a DAW (or MIDI router, I used Logic) to get the MIDI from the UMI3 to the Duo.

1 Like

Thanks @skellogg… so, I managed to get the software working (I had to disable my antivirus software in order to install it), but I gather from what you’re saying that I can’t use it standalone? It has to be plugged into my computer and into the Mod Duo? I don’t think it allows for me to save these toggle settings, is that right? If so, that’s a real bummer…

That’s the conclusion I came to as well. The UMI3 is a solid piece of gear for the price. It doesn’t have any onboard computing power, hence the need to run the helper app on your computer.