Midi message plugin?

Is there a plugin that acts like a midi footswitch?

It would be great if there is a plugin that I can assign to one of the footswitches so that I can send out a midi message out of the Duo. The plugin should be able to send notes, CC, or Program Change messages.

The reason I want to do it is to control my Whammy DT to turn on/off and change programs using one of my footswitches on the duo. I used different settings on the Whammy DT for each song or song part.
The only way I know how to do this is to use a programmable midi footswitch, like the SoftStep, and send it through the Duo.

Has anyone made something like this?
A plugin like this would help integrate external equipment…

3 Likes

hey, @Skydiver… that’s what the MOD arduino shield is for! :wink:

I want to be able to do it with the switches on the Duo itself. Can the Arduino Shield help with that?

Another reason why I want a plugin is so that I can have the Duo send out the message when changing presets or pedalboards.

aha… i see. you’re right, then; as far as i understand it, the shield won’t help with those applications. :frowning:

1 Like

well, it could, you just have to make a switch controlled by the arduino, then write the code on the arduino to send a CC through one pin and make a midi connection for it. Its not trivial but I’m sure its doable.

A plugin sounds easier to do…

fair enough. I just wish I had more time, I’d write ya one. It should be pretty trivial really. Didn’t we discuss this somewhere else?

1 Like

I’ve brought up other midi message type stuff/ideas… It just occurred to me recently a virtual midi switch would be cool…

What’s wrong with using the SoftStep?

I believe it will have to be a plugin if I want the Duo to change the settings of external equipment when changing presets or pedalboards.

I use a couple different settings on the Whammy DT for octave up or down stuff on the DT side. I don’t do much whammy-ing…
It would be great to hit the next preset (scene) and not only the internal effects to the Duo change but the external equipment is in sync without any tap dancing.

1 Like

+1 for this … I’m pretty used to using lots of plugins and synths plus my guitar in ardour and I’d love to use the MOD’s switches and buttons as midi controllers for various parameters and automations in the DAW

1 Like

Most likely I am barking up the wrong tree, but isn’t this what would happen if you looped the Softstep signal through to the Whammy and assign it to change-pedal-scene as well?

I probably can program the SoftStep to send a midi message to change the Duo Scene and send a program change for the Whammy DT.
But that will always send the same program change to the Whammy DT every time I hit the switch on the SoftStep for scene change.
I would like the full flexibility of whatever Whammy DT settings I need for that scene. For example - Have no Whammy DT for Scene 1, Octave up on Scene 2, off on Scene 3, octave down on scene 4, etc…

If you get creative you could program the SoftStep but it would be easiest if it can be programmed within the Duo.
Using a plugin can also make it easier in case you need to change footswitches.
A plugin to program the softstep could be pretty cool… but I’m excited about the Control Chain footswitch I am getting soon…

Ah, this is where my assumption was wrong: your scenario is feasible because each scene contains their own mappings for buttons. Cool stuff!

With such a plugin one could actually do fancy stuff on the computer, too. The Duo then becomes an input device and can pause the music, hide the browser window, scroll at the current position of the mouse pointer, do stuff in the DAW… all without using your hands. Endless possibilities!

It would be really cool is to have automation to a backing track like the TC-Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme.
What I really would like is to have all kinds of pre-recorded loops and have a different scene come up for each loop. For example the intro will be one loop with scene 1, then verse loop with scene 2, chorus loop with scene 3, etc… This is very similar to automating to a backing track but I like to improvise and being stuck to a backing track can be very limiting…

Interesting! Sounds like a settings meta-level were individual adjustments of the scenes/boards are aggregated and can be accessed at as a group. That would make it way easier to automate them and use with pre-recoreded loops indeed. Do you think this level of abstraction would be usable in practice?

2 Likes

I wish I know programming… I’d love to be able to do these things too… I don’t know what to do with any code…

I’m proud of myself to be able to download the “unstable” plugins… :sweat_smile:

I’ve got a few now that I need to add to the mod, I’ll put this one with them. So watch in unstable and it will come eventually. I’ll be sure to let you know too.

1 Like

SWEET! :grin: