Midi message plugin?

I pulled a late one last night and falktx merged it this morning so the infamous mindi (mini midi message maker) is now in unstable. Let me know if it works for you. It will send a message any time you change the CC/PG/Note number or value knobs, so if you have it set up differently for each scene, bingo! Alternatively you should be able to save a bunch of presets and as you switch between them it will send a message each time.

Whaaa! :scream:

I canā€™t believe you did this. :bow: I bow to youā€¦ oh great oneā€¦

I will test it when I get home tonight. I canā€™t wait! :fearful:

I just logged in to my home computer remotely where I have my MOD connected and searched for Mindiā€¦ but canā€™t find itā€¦ :sob:

I will check back laterā€¦ Hopefully it will be there soon.

I did download the new Stuck Stacker and will give it a try tonight. :thumbsup:

hmm, they were both added at the same time, so if one is there, the other should be tooā€¦
it might show as ā€œthe infamous miā€ because it gets cut off. I just search infamous and it shows up with the rest of the lot. Its just a tuna can UI.
I guess I need to actually go through the effort of adding unstable to the store so I can check this part.

Strangeā€¦

I typed in ā€œinfamousā€ and see four plugins. (EWHAM, POWERCUT, STUCK, and Stuck Stacker)
No Tuna Canā€¦:confused:

Maybe @falkTX needs to add them to unstable? I thought my pull request would get them in thereā€¦

Any update on getting this in the unstable list?

I will handle that tomorrow, today is still holiday in germany :slight_smile:
(I just forgot to add something for the buildā€¦ my bad)

Thanks @falkTX!

Why donā€™t I have a holiday?..

Enjoy your day and I look forward to trying it when it hits the unstable list.

Pushed to non-stable now.

Woohoo! Thanks @falkTX!

I briefly tested Mindi this morning before having to head out to workā€¦

I got it to change settings with my Whammy DT! :grin:

I did have a bit of struggle in the beginning thoughā€¦
I expected it to send the message when I turn on the plugin. In the beginning, with Mindi off, I set the parameters (program change selected and PG # selected). But when I turned the plugin on it didnā€™t change the DT to the program I set Mindi for. I then started to turn the PG# knob and I saw the selection on the DT change.

Can it be set up so that Mindi sends the message when sheā€™s turned on? (This can sound pretty strange if taken out of contextā€¦ :smile_cat:)

Here is an idea I haveā€¦ Not sure if itā€™s possibleā€¦
Can the plugin send one message when turned to the on position then another message when turned off?
For example, send a note on message when turned on then a note off message when turned off. Or I can have two different settings for my DT.

It could be cool to have a momentary switch option so that I can have multiple Mindiā€™s and hit one for one setting and another one for another setting, etcā€¦ etcā€¦
To get around the momentary thing I can set up two presets and assign that list to a switch and it will toggle between the two presets.

So many cool things that can be done with the Mindi!
Thank you for developing this plugin! I will keep testing and get back to you.

@ssj71 itā€™s possible to know when the plugin is on/off by the use of lv2:enabled designated port.

but the plugin is loaded and activated before the pedalboard finishes loading (ie, all connections made).
so loading a pedalboard with the plugin inside might require a manual change of the value, to make the plugin send the midi message.
perhaps this should changeā€¦ I mean, delay plugin enabled state until everything loadsā€¦
might help to make pedalboard loading a little faster too, Iā€™ll add it to the features backlog.

2 Likes

The workflow I had in mind to accomplish this was that either you make presets for mindi that sends the messages and map a button to the presets, or just have it change with pedalboard presets. That way your outboard gear stays in sync with whatever pedalboard preset you are on. Both methods allow you to have as many different settings as you want with just 1 mindi rather than just 1 or 2 on each mindi. Perhaps that makes for too much tap dancing, but I thought it would be most efficient.

If you really think it will help I can add an enable that (re)sends the message whenever it gets turned on, but see if using presets can work for you. I guess it kind of depends on how many presets you need and whether you can map a subset of the presets to a single switchā€¦ IIRC thats a feature to be added soon.

EDIT: I guess I have nothing to lose by adding an enable. Iā€™ll do so.

1 Like

ok, enable is added, but it will be a little while till I add it to mod. Iā€™ve got some other plugins Iā€™m working on and I like doing it in batches.

1 Like

Hi @ssj71,

The enable would be great.
Itā€™s a small detail but I think it will help quite a bit.

I can imagine some scenarios where I may have changed some settings manually and I want to immediately get back to that original setting without scrolling through presets.

Is there a way to make a plugin that sends Sysex messages?..

TC-Helicon has come out with a new effect called Critical Mass which I used to use on their VoiceLive pedal before selling itā€¦
Anywayā€¦ these stomp boxes have a USB port for updates and isnā€™t midiā€¦ but the developer says that if I have a way to send Sysex messages there may be a way to control it from another source like the duo.
So I wonder if itā€™s possible to make a plugin that will send Sysex messagesā€¦

I donā€™t really know what Sysex messages areā€¦ but I figure there must be a way to make a plugin that does thatā€¦ :sweat_smile:

mindi actually can send sysex messages, but not useful ones. Sysex messages can be as long or short as the manufacturer wants and in whatever format. There currently is no way in MOD to make an interface that would allow you to specify what the sysex message contains in a general way. A plugin that specifically makes Critical Mass sysex messages could be made right now. Or when eventually you can upload files to mod or enter text to a plugin it could be done.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Before I start Iā€™d like to admit that doing things the way Iā€™m going to describe seems kinda hacky, at the end of the day Iā€™d just like a way to press a footswitch and send a specific midi message and be able to assign it per footswitch. Now to the explanation of what I tried:

Got Mindi to work (lost some time wondering if it was actually working, I wish Iā€™d read the description more carefully before trying). Then I went to try and send midi message into an Ardour session to accomplish things like arming recording, starting/stopping the transport, muting channels, etcā€¦

So I created a new pedalboard, added Mindi and created 6 presets each with a different program changes (0-5) and I cycle through them by assigning a Footswitch to the presets, each time I press it a new message is sent. This works and I can use MIDI learn in Ardour to achieve what I want, but there are 2 problems:

1. I can only cycle through the messages with the footswitch , Iā€™d like to be able to go to each preset with each different footswith (Iā€™m assuming Iā€™ll have 6 when my extender arrives)
  2. When the Mindi value doesnt actually change no new message is sent so I canā€™t send the same midi message multiple times with multiple presses.

Am I way off base here? I tried mixing and matching most of the midi plugins and couldnā€™t find a simple way to achieve what I want.

Anyway, thanks for the good work falkTX and ssj71! MIDI + the pedalboard presets functionality seems promising!

3 Likes