MIDI thru issues

I’m all of the sudden having midi out issues with my mod duo. I’ve been using ableton as my master sending midi out through my midi keyobard into my mod duo and then midi out to my moog mother 32. It had been working for months with no problems. Within the past few weeks it’s started acting up. Now the only midi information that’s going through to the mother 32 is midi notes. The mother 32 no longer receives tempo clock or start/stop information. I’ve ckecked each piece of gear and the problem definitely has something to do with the mod duo. I’ve checked all of the midi cables and they are good. I’ve bypassed the mod duo and ran midi directly from my midi keyboard into my mother 32 and suddenly it receives midi clock, notes, start/stop information. I’m sure it is likely user error on my part, not fully understanding the midi settings in the mod duo, but I’ve looked for a few weeks and still can’t figure it out. PLEASE HELP.

That sounds frustrating. It’s not clear from your message - have you tried creating a new pedalboard that simply connects the MIDI in --> out and see if the messages are getting through in that case?

Hello @tconnolly83. Please describe your setup and also let us know which version of software you’re running on your Duo.

Thanks for your replies. I’ve tried creating a new pedalboard. I’ve had the virtual midi cable on the pedal board running directly to the midi out. No luck. I’m not sure what software I’m running on the mod duo, but it’s up to date. I’d love to describe my setup further for you, but I’m not sure what further information you’re looking for. I’m running Ableton 9. Using Akai midi keyboard. Midi comes out from midi keyboard into mod duo. Midi comes out from mod duo into Moog mother 32.

Have you connected the midi out to a computer with a Midi monitor?
This will let you see what channel,note, & system midi events are getting through.
Connect monitor direct to your keyboard also and play the same notes.
Do they match?
If not let the team know about any dropped information.

I’m a new MOD Duo X user and I’m also having Midi Thru issues. I have an Octatrack sending Midi Out to the MOD Duo X and then the out of that into my computer.

What I want to do is get send Midi from the Octatrack into my computer (via the MOD Duo X) but I don’t know how to do this. Is Midi Thru possible? I would have thought this would be something that is do-able but I can’t work it out.

I tried a clean pedal board with Midi In > Midi Out but nothing there either…

Help!

It should be rather simple.
Are you using All MIDI inputs in on port or using them separated? I would experiment both ways.
Also, just as a troubleshooting, I would try to generate MIDI inside the DuoX and send to the computer just to understand if everything works well with the connection DuoX -> Computer.
If that works and the MIDI Thru doesn’t I would try to use some MIDI modifier plugin in the middle, again…just to troubleshoot and understand if the DuoX is receiving MIDI properly from the Octatrack.
Let us know your results.

Hey Jon

It’s strange, I restarted my entire system and it started working. Might have been new set up blues - as I’d just connected the MOD DUO X to my system for the first time. Seems to be working now.

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

Glad that you got it working. Let us know if the issue appears again.

Is there a way to create a default pedalboard? The current default does not have Midi wired up so I need to manually patch that every time I start fresh.

Or, can Midi be connected by default?

Scrap that request :slight_smile:

I just simply resave the Default and then Midi is ready every time. You guys think of everything!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes