Minimal 'piano' setup with a Dwarf

Hi guys,

I’m waiting for my Dwarf to arrive and in the meantime I’m doing some homework.

Let’s say I’m an intermediate/advanced guitar player and I ordered the Dwarf mainly for guitar and bass guitar use.I know what most typical effects do and how to use them.
BUT
I always had some apetite to learn some piano one day.
…So excuse my noob question about that area :smiley:

I wonder how far I would get with just a decent keyboard (half weighed keys) and a Dwarf.
Can you put virtual instruments in the dwarf, attach your keyb via usb?/midi? and start playing?
if not, what is the minimum of extra I need to perform live without a pc or tablet attached?

1 Like

You can surely connect a midi keyboard/controller that’s ether 5-pin midi or USB midi class compliant, and it will work right away. I do precisely that (though with a midi guitar controller.) Just plug the USB cable in and voilà!

You can use the generators that exist in the Mod store. For a list of existing instruments, please see this list:

These are all plugins that take a midi input and generate sound. (I’ve chosen the “instrument” category, but you may also select “generators”.)

One of them, the DIE Fluid Synth is a device that plays samples in SF2 format – meaning you can load your instruments to it. Think of it as a classic sampler. We were already told that Sfizz may be coming to MOD as well.

What MOD doesn’t do is to allow you to load a VST instrument. They must be in LV2 format. I am hoping (more than believing) that Apple’s move to ARM processors will then make developers create ARM versions of their plugins. Also – and more importantly, MOD’s platform offers a way for developers to actually profit from their plugins, so it’s possible that one such platform would create an incentive for developers to undertake the work of porting their plugins to MOD.

2 Likes

Yes. You can connect any MIDI controller either via the TRS MIDI in port or the USB port-A. Then you just need to go to the “Generator” section of plugins and voilá. You can enjoy a collection of pianos, synths, etc.

1 Like

@QuestionMarc

love how we answered basically at the same time and used the exact same french expression :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess we’re both romantically attached to our Mods!

4 Likes

Thanks guys!

Been watching some demo video’s and I was like “WOW; control voltage can do THAT?”…but they didn’t answer the “plug in a keyboard and get a natural sounding piano.”- question
Can’t wait to get mine; shhhould be expected before Christmas.

Voila?

I’m from Belgium, French is one of the official languages here. Guess you guess guessed :smiley:

3 Likes