Mobile App/Travel Abilities?

Will there be a mobile app for iPads/Tablets one day? This would be super helpful for my band and other music adventures.

Thanks,
Jake Wenzel

1 Like

Hi @Jake_Wenzel

Version 1.1 os the software is coming very soon and it includes Bluetooth support.

This will enable users to connect using their tablets :wink:

The mobile phone also connects, but from a practical point of view it is not that usable because the screen is so tiny. We will have a dedicated app for the smatphones soon.

best

2 Likes

This is going to be sweet!

I only have a desktop computer and I was wondering how I would be able to make any tweaks when I’m away from home… or even in another room…

I was considering getting a laptop by I may just get an iPad.

Looking forward to this functionality!

1 Like

Astounding work on the pedal, I am truly satisfied with the pedal I received. I am super excited for this new feature. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Jake Wenzel

2 Likes

I’m looking into buying an iPad and there are some very inexpensive used ones.
What generation is recommended?

I plan to use it for use with my DUO but want to be able to do the regular things like email, web browsing and simple word processing. Probably take some pictures and vids for personal use.

I don’t know anything about the iPad so any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have an iPad Mini 2 and it’s working very well for several years. No need to get into this “the new iPad is launching” hype…

Although Apple-products tend to hold their value better, I’d probably go for an Android device – unless you invested into the Apple ecosystem already. It depends a bit on what exactly you want to do though… for your use case: Apple focused much more on their audio stack and as a result you get low-latency which – should you ever run out of inspiration with the MOD – gives you the option to hook up your ipad, download a few apps with these effects. Android improved, but Apple is still better. OTOH: Apple does not allow to developers to run their own browser engine and you’ll have to take whatever Apple gives you… hoping that the engine works with the MOD web interface.

@acunha - Good to know. I won’t wait for the next big thing but I will probably buy new so that I have the piece of mind of the warranty for a while… Apple still sells the iPad Mini2… somehow skips three and selling the Mini4. Will the mini size work with the upcoming DUO app?

@eggsperde - Thanks for your input. I know that Android devices have so much more open platform… but I did already get into the Apple ecosystem when I got my Mac Mini for a DAW and then my work got me an iPhone and it all just works so well together… So I am sucked in… :smile:

There are three five models offered by Apple and I guess I will look through the specs and see what is important to me. I’m selling off some gear since my DUO arrived so I should be able to afford most of the models…

Thanks guys!

@Skydiver yes, a native app should work just fine with an iPad Mini2. Plus I you’ll get be one of our beta testers :smiley:

Browser-wise @eggsperde has a good point. It’s not guaranteed that it will work properly. We haven’t make many tests yet so you might want to wait before committing to the purchase.

1 Like

I hear you, @Skydiver, I hear you. Ecosystems can create surprisingly strong lock-in effects. I try ditching Whatsapp and Facebook since ages. It’s impossible without taking major disadvantages.

You made me curious, @acunha! :slight_smile: What will the app be able to do that is not possible with the webinterface? It seemed like nothing was impossible for you Python-Javascript-HTML wizards… :wink:

1 Like

@eggsperde it’s still early to discuss but the app should bring you a richer UI with extended capabilities regarding the “remote control” aspects of your Duo. Think of it as an extension of your MOD physical buttons. It will be like a dashboard where you can jam, play and create.

Currently the browser UI experience is more oriented to building PBs but the app shouldn’t be the same way.

1 Like

That sounds like a great thing to make an app for! :+1:

I just hope you guys dont get bogged in the details. Seems like a lot of work, additional to the control chain protocol, the (volume) pedal, the multi-switch, website re-design, documentation, your bug backlog and the new features @Skydiver is requesting with high speed. :smiley:

Just kidding. I know you got this. MOD rocks!

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: I hope I’m not coming off all pushy… I just keep coming up with ideas and find things… Just want to make sure the MOD Team knows these things… most of the time they do!

Keep up the good work team MOD!

For those interested in whether their iDevice will work with the standard Bluetooth support, it looks like it uses the PAN profile, here’s the link to iOS support coverage of PAN. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387

hi, I’ve just go bluetooth working and can see my duo via chrome or safari on my ipad.
As my ipad is getting on a bit it’s a sluggish experience so I was wondering if the app was any closer to release?

Thanks

@bullet If you don’t mind, can you please list the major issues you saw when using the mod-ui in your iPad? If you could, order the issues by importance.

Hi,

It’s an ipad 2

I only loaded a single board but in both Chrome and Safari it was very slow to move around.
Pinch zoom clashed with the + zoom magnifier in the top corner.

I’d like to be able to go full screen as a lot of the real estate was taken up by the address bar.
The ability to hide the pedal selection would help as well.