MOD - Audio to CV Pitch

Had quite some fun with these! Still bit amazed it tracks this well actually :slight_smile:

3 Likes

wow these are really good, and as mentioned tracking is great. Can the signal be routed to midi instrument generators like the MDA JX10?

3 Likes

Nope. The plugin only translates Audio Signals into CV and not MIDI

2 Likes

A pure conversion to MIDI is quite tricky, because pitch fluctuates a fair bit, so we either try to hack around it with pitchbend/CCs or increase the latency.
That said, I still want to try this. The underlying library we use for this, aubio, provides a MIDI output mode. But would need quite some tweaking to not get totally terrible results.

9 Likes

What if the audio signal went through some kind of auto-tune treatment first to stabilize it?

2 Likes

Would be an awesome feature if it could do guitar to midi. I have used pc based products and they are pretty good. To have the feature on the dwarf would be great.

2 Likes

Nice. I am a EWI (NuRAD) player and wonder if itā€™s possible to add a CV velocity to cc#2 also so we can use our wind controller.

1 Like

Spent a lot of time yesterday with the sample presets and trying to build my own. A suggestionā€¦CV programing is complex and probably outside the knowledge of the vast majority of guitar players (myself included, trying to learn). While I fully understand the modular approach here, a plugin which consolidated much of the functionality of the one of these sample pedalboards into a singular plug with a more intuitive interface would be greatly appreciated. I know many would love pitch to MIDI, but if this could somehow be made polyphonic, you would have guitarists and bassist buying the Dwarf just to use the ā€œanalogā€ synth stuff. Seriously great job here.

EDIT: Alsoā€¦maybe pitch to MIDI is trickyā€¦what about pitch to CV to MIDI?

3 Likes

For the CV synth stuff an upcoming solution is Cardinal
But I need to do the full/main variant still, the mini version has no CV ports.

5 Likes

Cool thanks! That looks like a big step forward and I canā€™t wait to check it out, but as a guitarist I can say without hesitation that we are complete and total idiots when it comes to modular synth programming. When I say a simplified interface, Iā€™m literally meaning 8 knobs or less and dumbed down functionality. Iā€™m in no way suggesting replacing the current capabilities, just a ā€œdumbā€ version which allows someone to get up and running in a matter of minutes. From a marketing perspective, demo videos of something like that which is extremely easy to get stable tracked analog synth tones could sell the unit as a competitor to things like the Source Audio C4 and Keeley Synth-1. If it could somehow be made polyphonic (I know, near impossible with CV) the Dwarf would be a strong competitor to the Boss SY line.

3 Likes

This is really amazing !!!
Thanks and bravo a la team !

4 Likes

@Will_C the pedalboards that @jesse shared above are exactly meant for that, to shortcut the hard time learning and implementing something worth with CV. Have you checked those?

That should come next :wink: as you are here in the forum, you are somehow privilege in this kind of news :wink:

3 Likes

Oh yes, those pedal boards were great for sure! Iā€™m basically doing trial an error trying to figure out exactly what all is going on there and how I can further customize the tone, and which is any I can remove and build upon.

3 Likes

As it is stated tracking is very good and latency low! Is it high time to get rid of sonicsmith SQ P1+? Anybody tried to use MOD CV outputs to controll analog synths with this plug?

1 Like

I actually did a few days ago. It works great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would you share your board set up? Be great to try. Thanks

1 Like

This is fabulous!
Just tried it with my chapman stick and it works well with that too, down to the C# below a guitarā€™s low E and then it stops.
Iā€™ve got a gig full of 80s covers coming up and it would be great to use this for synth bass.
Would it be possible to extend the detection range down to that of a bass guitar?

3 Likes

Possible, yes.
We did tests for this while tweaking the plugin. By increasing the internal buffer size it is possible to get it to track lower notes, but it also significantly increases latency.
The current plugin has a specific value after some testing, balancing pitch tracking vs latency.

Making the buffer size dynamic is non-trivial.

Though now that I think more about it, perhaps just a switch between lower latency vs higher range could work.
@jesse what do you think? we could make the default be as it is now, but allow a mode where it uses more latency but tracks lower frequencies. so while a truly dynamic buffer size is out of question, a simple switch between 2 modes would be quite okā€¦

6 Likes

As a fellow Stick owner (in the process of trying to become a Stick player!), which of the example pedalboards did you try, or if several which did you prefer?

2 Likes

Thank you for testing the extended range ianr!

Itā€™s great to know for us 5-string bass players.

I wonder if you could +12 step pitch shift on the audio signal, then -12 on the CV?

My assumption is it only needs to detect the pitch and the volume/amplitude? As the sound is generated by the oscillators there should be limited quality loss on the CV side?

Iā€™m sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to correct me if Iā€™m wrong :smiley:

3 Likes