Mod duo and your DAW

Has anybody used their Mod duo with a DAW?
I use Presonus Studio One and was wondering if it was possible to have mod duo pop up like guitar rig or such vst plugins?

I would like to use my guitar plugged into my mod duo inside my studio one to create songs.

Any help much appreciated

EDIT: Nevermindā€¦found the solution. Plugged my guitar into my mod duo. The output into my Lexicon Lambda. That into my pc. Opened up my DAW. Voila.

How do you delete a thread? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was a stretch goal during the Kickstarter campaign to make the Duo also work as an audio interface. It was not reached though, therefore you have to digitize the Duoā€™s analog output againā€¦

Hi,

Iā€™m in the middle of an album right now and have found each track has had a different guitar workflow, sometimes Iā€™ll use the audio outs of the MOD and since Iā€™m using Linux DAWā€™s (Ardour and Mixbus) sometimes I find itā€™s easier to simply use many of the same LV2ā€™s in the MOD as system plugins right in the DAW in the channel strip. Sometimes this is less noisy then coming out analog and going back in again. There is certainly not one right way, itā€™s all what the song calls for and what your ears like. Unless I need certain effects I find in my experience the MOD is more of a performance tool than a recording tool at this point, but Iā€™m not using any amp simulations and prefer to mic my tube amp so the MOD is mostly an FX unit.

4 Likes

For those running Linux on their PC, there is a very simple way to record the digital signal coming from the Mod on a jack aware DAW, without having to go through Digital-Analog-Digital conversions, all via the USB interface.

More details here :slight_smile: :

3 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s possible to route raw midi notes out of your DAW, into your mod duo, to let the mod duo create the sound and route it back to your daw onto another track?

I tried this today with Reaper, but perhaps Iā€™m doing something wrong.
Perhaps the usb cable isnā€™t working neither, got the cable from someone and I guess thereā€™s something wrong with the cable, but have no other way to test it.
When opening the browser window and click on ā€˜midi portsā€™, thereā€™s nothing appearing (like reaper or midi in or something).

Havenā€™t figured out yet in Reaper where to put the midi out to neither. Maybe Reaper isnā€™t ready for that yet in itā€™s Linux native version.

When plugging a midi keyboard to the mod, it perfectly appears in the ā€œmidi portsā€ menu without problem, so the midi ports work perfectly.

2 Likes

It is possible indeed. But I am not sure I have the time to write an description of the procedure.

if you just plug in a USB cable between the daw and mod it wonā€™t work, mod doesnā€™t show up to a computer as a MIDI device. If you are using a usb to midi converter it will work, or use a midi output of your audio interface (if it has one).

1 Like

Ok I see.
No, my interface doesnā€™t have midi out. Maybe Iā€™ll look for some usb to midi converter someday. I suppose I use the usb from my computer than, to midi in at the mod?

Anyway, itā€™s not necessary as I have a soft synth for my daw already on the computer, but I was just wondering if I could integrate the mod aswel into the workflow to add extra effects.
It could have been a nice extra. Iā€™ll use the mod for guitar only right now, but havenā€™t got time to create music. 2019 will add more time :wink:

Using the netjack2 procedure described above works also for the jack midi connections.

Hello,
Mod Duo can be used as an external instrument in Cubase
Thank

1 Like

What Iā€™d really like to see is the MOD core/UI in the form of a VST/LV2 plugin, for use within a DAW. To me, the most enthusiastic aspect of MOD is their vision and realization of an effects framework (we all know the virtues). My thought for a while now has been, why make devices at this stage in their business?ā€“Producing and supporting music devices is a hard road.

I used to work for a company called Open Labs (INC.) in Austin, Texas. We made ā€˜super keyboardsā€™ equipped with an x86 motherboard, a touchscreen, custom controllers, audio I/O, etc. It was quite something and these machines could do it all. The company failed though, for a number of reasons, none the least of which was the complexity of the BoMs, engineering, software development and after-sale support. Short story, the costs were far more than could be passed on to the customers of a niche market (musicians). Weā€™re talking, in itā€™s ultimate formā€“which they sold to marquee stars and home users alikeā€“$7000+ keyboards! There was even an anniversary edition which they had electro-plated in gold!

Upon auction, the remaining investors bought their company back and they reformed it as a software company. Theyā€™re still in business (since 2010) selling what could be considered ā€˜Garage Band for PC,ā€™ plus a mobile version and some other stuff. ( http://us.openlabs.com/ )

Now, Iā€™m not sure how MOD must operate, concerning license encumberment; it could be the device is necessary, as they cannot sell GPL-ish software? Nonetheless, thereā€™s likely an avenue whereby they could do so, effectively, and perhaps call it a service? Iā€™m not sure what the strategy might be. Although, I do know that Iā€™d very much like to have a traditional plugin which bundles the MOD experience for use in a DAWā€“devices in addition to this would be great too. Still, I would much prefer to have the prior, as I can always spin a Linux device for a given purpose. The true gem in my opinion is the MOD framework with itā€™s social aspects, UI, LV2, openness, etc. This is whatā€™s unique here and I value it. Contrary, is the plethora of Raspberry Pi-like devices which continually improve in power and capacity.

A word about hardware too; the only digital hardware (for pro audio) worth keeping is high quality converts, studio clocks and the like. Other digital hardware is usually a bad investment. No matter what, these things ultimately die of errata, even the good stuff. Yet, itā€™s often trends which obsolete digital gear first! Meanwhile, high quality analog gear can have an indefinite lifespan, if maintained ā€¦ The big question to MOD, do you really want to be in the hardware business? If so, maybe some diversity with a traditional offering like a VST/LV2 plugin as described? As a dedicated Linux audio user, Iā€™d be thrilled. Moreover, it would be a boon to your existing device offerings by providing a wider scope of useā€“performance and studio recording, unified.

2 Likes

I like this idea also, but for the fact as it would enable me to use a single plugin in my daw (for guitar/vocals/virtual instrument) and then export those patches to the hardware when I need to perform.