MOD Duo background noise level

Hi @sliwowitz

Can you send us an email to support@moddevices.com? We’ll open a ticket with the technical support team.

Cheers!

Hi dwek. Thanks for the quick response. This turned out to be a problem with the electrical installation in the room. Some kind of ground loop which wouldn’t go away even when I isolated the instrument from the Duo. In the end, I had to put an isolation transformer between the power outlet and the extension cord which holds all the equipment. The sound is still not perfect, but I’ll have to try at some different location first to see if the problem actually lies in the Duo. If it does, I’ll contact the support. Sorry for the noise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem! Glad to know that things have improved.
Let us know if we can help in any way.

1 Like

Hellow everybody and @dwek!

I´m revisiting this old topic because I´ve been away from my MOD DUO for a long period and would like to know if the pitched noise problem was solved with the newer software releases or if it is still needed a hardware fix to solve the problem.

best regards
Rogerio

hi @rogeriocouto!

i had the hardware fix done… that improved things a fair amount. subsequent software updates improved it more, and there’s now a mainline kernel version available which ~also~ addresses some lingering xrun issues.

i ~believe~ you need both the hardware fix and the software updates to have maximum noise reduction on the Duo; i guess you could install the latest, mainline kernel software version to see whether that alone is an adequate fix for your use-case.

…also, perhaps MOD folks (who might be able to actually quantify the improvement offered by each approach) will chime in with more definitive answers… :wink:

Hi @plutek

Thanks for your input.
I have the latest stable software release (v1.9.0) intalled.
About the mainline kernel I think you are talking about this topic?
[Continuous Xruns]

Let´s wait for the MOD Team on this subjects.
In the mean time having the info about the hardware fix will be nice.
Can you help me with this @dwek?

Regards
Rogerio

1 Like

Hi @rogeriocouto,

Please send us a message to support@moddevices.com and our technical team will take care of you :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks @dwek.
I´ll get in touch.
Cheers

Just purchased the Mod Duo. I love the interface and the endless possibilities, but like everyone else here also am experiencing background noise. It was really bad at first, but I used a different USB plug and that solved the really loud part of it, but the noise level is still significant enough that I couldn’t record quiet passages with this thing. Very unfortunate. I considered returning the unit but it does offer such great avenues for experimentation that I will keep it. Two questions:

1. Is there really a solution?
  2. Does the Mod Duo X have the same issue?

Thank you all in advance.
Igor

Reminder that connecting any audio related stuff to a PC via USB can introduce a ground loop and make some noise, and this isn’t related to the Mod Duo noise problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

You can fix that with a good USB isolator.

1 Like

See https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Troubleshooting#MOD_produces_a_lot_of_noise_when_plugged_in_my_current_setup_.28Ground_Loop.29 for details

If it is a ground loop issue, removing the usb cable would get rid of it.
It is a quick way to test for this.

I don’t believe the USB is my issue. I did have that problem, I used the USB isolator and it went away as has been suggested. What remains is still a noisy signal. I can live with it to play around with, but I can not live with it for recording - very unsatisfying.

Hi @igor. Is this noise coming from any specific input or output?

The “noise thing” happens specially in my Mod Duo X, but also on the Mod Duo. I have just two plugs for everything in the studio, and several “plug strips” (I don’t know if it’s well said in english, a thing to put several sockets together, in spanish we call it “regleta”). Sometimes it’s difficult to have isolated the Mod Duo, as plugs aren’t infinite.

Does anybody recommend any USB isolator tested with any of the DUOs?

Did you try to plug just 1 input and 1 output? The noise is still there?

1 Like

Indeed your only two wall plugs are a big problem.
Do you have more noise if you connect to the computer? Is that why you are asking for a USB isolator recommendation?

my experience was that the PWM from the display backlight was causing the noise. setting the display to 100% brightness fixed it! as an aside, I had trouble tracking this issue down because my modular was also creating noise… from display screen backlight PWM on a few of the modules! now my setup is noise free… and a bit bright! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys!
I have the noise issue with my guitar on input 1 of my Mod Duo.
The input 2 is ok.
I plugged my guitar in a active direct box and the box in input 2. The problem is gone.
I hope it will work for you.

1 Like

Hi - I am picking up at the start of this thread.
I wanted to start a new topic about how to best integrate the Duo X into a live pedalboard to ensure best performance (ie. start of chain, does it need to have a lot of gain built in etc).
I recently added to my live pedalboard (which has ~ 12 pedals) and the Mod seemed to get overwhelmed and its output suffered.

Any thoughts or insights on this topic would be very valuable.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Palty, this seems like a great idea for a thread!
My first thought on your question may be kind of obvious, but here it goes…
If you are using an overdrive, distortion, compressor, or gain pedal it’s probably wise to be really picky with its placement in order to prevent for example electric hums amplification or other not wished noises (this is actually a general thing, not just for the DuoX).
I would maybe start by trying the DuoX by the end of your chain and use their inputs to control any unwished noise from all the setup.
Just a suggestion, go ahead and share with us the results of your experiments :slight_smile: (maybe in a new thread, indeed).