MOD Duo background noise level

Hi mendo,

We have provided a hardware fix for the users who have asked for the fix. New batches already have the fix.

So yes and yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi dwek

I would like very much if I could have that fix, thank you very much!

best regards
Bjarne

hi @dwek!

whatā€™s happening with respect to addressing the remaining kernel-related buffering noise, which is still audible (although greatly reduced) after the hardware fix? does the upcoming increased CPU power (in the Duo X and in the proposed Duo upgrade) allow running a kernel which fixes this?

1 Like

@plutek

We still need to check some things, but it is very likely that the new CPU does not exhibit this problem in such a prominent way.

We will have news soon.

5 Likes

Hi @gianfranco,

I tried the hardware fix that @dwek commented, but the noise is still there (reduced, but still there), so Iā€™m also really interested about whatā€™s going on to fix the kernel buffering issue for the Mod Duo (not X) devices. So anything you can share about it would be really appreciated, thanks!

3 Likes

So the hardware fix didnā€™t solve the problem?

Iā€™m having these noise issues too, I suppose itā€™s the usb-noise thing.
(Iā€™m using the ModDuo since yesterday my first time)
No way for me to send mine back as Iā€™m out of warranty period already. (bought it second hand)

However, the solution AndyCap stated: with a HifimeDIY USB Isolator, it should work ?
Anyone else with these problems tested this solution?

Iā€™m wondering if the Audioquest Jitterbug is doing the same thing?

Another thing: Iā€™m routing my audio out to a Behringer UCG 102 link cable (audio interface) to get the sound to my DAW (Reaper). However, yesterday, after couple of hours doing that without problems, the Behringer interface stopped working (Iā€™m using it already a couple of years now though). Iā€™m wondering if the use of the ModDuo was doing any harm to the interface or not? I guess it was just bad timing.

If you donā€™t want noise when recording with any device, you need to make sure you donā€™t have ground loop.

The better solution with the Mod Duo is to use it with bluetooth, and if you have a laptop just unplug the AC cable and work on battery.

Other else you need to invest in some USB isolator.

Another tips : dont turn your guitar in front of your computer when playing (or any electronic device), just do the test youā€™ll ear a big difference of background noise.

If after all that you still hear noise, it must come from the mod duoā€¦

1 Like

Alright, bluetooth is an option, although I donā€™t like to have too much radiation. I wired my house to make the use of wifi unnecessary too.
USB Isolator is on itā€™s way, probably by the end of next week. Will let you know if thatā€™s helping.
The noise is only irritating when recording on computer, but itā€™s nearly a problem when I just put the output through a regular micro-hifi-chain (which isnā€™t the purpose) but meanwhile I can play and the ModDuo sounds pretty good. I still have to find my own sounds through the hundreds of pedalsā€¦

As for the audio interface to connect on the computer, Iā€™m going to work with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. (should work fine under Linux)
Couple of years ago, when I began this hobby, I bought the cheapest option first: the Behringer UCG 102, it always worked perfect though, but now this product doesnā€™t get sold anymore in my region, except in one shop where they still have one itemā€¦ Although the guys in some shops are telling me now itā€™s not really good material and lots of broken devices are returned, and never repaired by Behringer, no after-sales service. So I wonā€™t take the risk buying that last item another time and upgrade with the Focusriteā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

If what you have is ground antenna (loop) issue then the isolator may work. It all depends on where the loop is. If you are finding that unplugging the USB gets rid of the noise then itā€™s probably there and an isolator should work. But ground loop can be a very difficult to solve. I thought I took all precautions to not have any loops but somehow I did. I had a great system and then when I plugged in one new piece of gear it all went to shitā€¦
Sometimes itā€™s just one issue and sometimes itā€™s multiple issuesā€¦

One noise I had was resolved by using balanced cables between the MOD and my mixer/interface. There must have been some noise getting picked up by the cableā€¦ bad cable or RF around that area.

Some computers are better at isolating peripherals than others.

Good Luck!

2 Likes

Iā€™m back, to say that I havenā€™t experienced any noise anymore, since Iā€™ve been messing around switching cables, resetting all the volumes/gains of in and outs, and definitely: by not using the Behringer interface anymore. That evening, the Behringer interface stopped working, it just broke down and I could wild guess that the noise came from that interface, maybe it was overheated by overpowered signals of the Mod Duoā€¦ However I remember having noise when using the mod offline without interface tooā€¦ Hmm
Donā€™t want to say anything bad about Behringer, it worked great for couple of years though, but it was the cheapest thing around and I canā€™t expect it to work for a lifetime.

In the mean time, I bought the Focusrite Solo, and havenā€™t experienced any noise anymore (so far so good).
It works great on Linux btw.
And today, the usb isolator arrived by post. No need to use it anymore right now, but maybe someday the noise comes back and I can try this isolator to see if it really works.
So yes, Iā€™m quite happy right now.

4 Likes

A well designed interface makes a difference. I donā€™t want to bad mouth any gear because noise can be a bad interaction between gear. I used to use the Allen & Heath ZEDi10FX but noticed noise issues with some gear and got different results from different channels. I changed over to the Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix and itā€™s been rock solid with no issues. But I would still choose the A&H mixer/interface if I were in the same situation I was back then. Still a great piece of gear for the money but things have changed for me and the extra cost is worth it now.

2 Likes

I did a test of noise levels on the inputs at different gain stages. Even with headphones pumped up to Max output, I donā€™t hear noise unless Iā€™m running both inputs simultaneously on high gain. Will post the video when I get a moment.

Hi @dwek , how do I know if my mod duo has the fix or not? it has some noise issues

1 Like

Hi @mrwolf,

Can you send me a picture of the back of your device? Your serial number will allow us to know from which batch came your Duo and whether or not it came with the fix.

Cheers!

This is the serial number: MDS-20180601-1-02-003-0060

Hi, I have some bad noise on my Duo as well. It sounds like this http://vysko.cz/dl/190409_0006.WAV The only thing connected to the Duo is the the instrument cable (the noise is there regardless of whether I actually connect the instrument or not - itā€™s just enough that the cable is there). The noise goes away when I either: disconnect the cable form the Duo output (cca 0:06-0:11), or turn on the HW Bypass (cca 0:15-0:20). The Duo is Kickstarter edition 2nd batch.

Hi @sliwowitz

Can you send us an email to support@moddevices.com? Weā€™ll open a ticket with the technical support team.

Cheers!

Hi dwek. Thanks for the quick response. This turned out to be a problem with the electrical installation in the room. Some kind of ground loop which wouldnā€™t go away even when I isolated the instrument from the Duo. In the end, I had to put an isolation transformer between the power outlet and the extension cord which holds all the equipment. The sound is still not perfect, but Iā€™ll have to try at some different location first to see if the problem actually lies in the Duo. If it does, Iā€™ll contact the support. Sorry for the noise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem! Glad to know that things have improved.
Let us know if we can help in any way.

1 Like

Hellow everybody and @dwek!

IĀ“m revisiting this old topic because IĀ“ve been away from my MOD DUO for a long period and would like to know if the pitched noise problem was solved with the newer software releases or if it is still needed a hardware fix to solve the problem.

best regards
Rogerio