MOD Duo X - Last mile countdown

beauty… thanks for the update, @falkTX!

curious: does the shipping image include the ability to sync to incoming MIDI clock, or is that for a later update?

3 Likes

that is present in the initial release.

the things that we are skipping in this initial shipping are:

1. spdif output
  2. cv in/out (plus expression pedal mode)
  3. midi clock output position (it will send start, stop, continue but not current position)
2 Likes

Are these things you can promise to be fixed soon? (=this year)

we will surely try.
spdif should not be hard, the important parts are already in place, it is more of enabling the right things in the system.
CV is being worked on.
for midi clock output position I am not fully aware of what the issues are, likely just needs better jitter correction.

3 Likes

Great news! I can almost hear the thud of my shiny new X on the doormat :slight_smile:

Having worked in embedded product dev I know the issues and feel you are approaching it right!

@eggsperde @unbracketed @plutek

I believe this post answer your question about licensing that we were discussing earlier in this thread:

2 Likes

a sneak peek… since this is an internal thing, you don’t see it often… (or at all!)

11 Likes

oh… hello, dear! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Woo!

1 Like

So exciting!!

2 Likes

This looks very good. I hope the delivery will happen quickly. I already have sweaty fingers;-)

4 Likes

Good to see you in the group!

2 Likes

For the nerdy ones, here’s something else you also don’t see everyday (or ever…).
This is a graphical representation of what is really happening inside the Duo X with a somewhat simple pedalboard loaded:

Each one of those boxes is an (internal) jack client, the “effect_*” ones being the plugins.
Blue is for audio connections, red for MIDI.
So yeah, there are a few things happening behind the scenes that you just do not usually see :slight_smile:

PS: for the even nerdier ones, those that might recognize that canvas - yes, that is carla running in the Duo X, controlled remotely over OSC. More on that sometime later. :wink:

10 Likes

Getting so excited for this!

1 Like

I’d like to learn more about OSC :slight_smile:

EDIT : a bit of search got me to your lovely KXStudio page

https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla

Yeahh ! I never arrived to work with carla-control, but I think I will have to if it also works in Mod Duo (without X)!

@falkTX thanks for the inside tech infos…

so as an example mod-peakmeter basically just drives the output leds via gpio pwm?

correct. you can even get the source for it here https://github.com/moddevices/mod-peakmeter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ahh nice and logical, so the board uses an i2c pwm expander for peripherials (PCA9685)

sweet

So more updates…

We just made some changes so that pedalboard addressings (buttons and knobs) that were made in a Duo, will be loaded correctly in a Duo X, though limited to “3 pages”.
On the Duo, we can put as many as 99 parameters in a single knob, switchable by a single click.
On the Duo X we no longer have this, but rather a dedicated button that moves the entire hardware addressings to a new “page”. We are starting with 3 pages right now.
So what happens is that Duo pedalboards with knob addressings get converted into pages, of course limited to 3. Addressings on the footswitches go into page 1.
MIDI and Control Chain device addressings will remain working the same way.

The other way around (Duo X pedalboards on Duo) is something that we will discuss internally in the team soon. This needs special considerations, as Duo X can load many more plugins at once than the Duo.

Regarding shipping, that is what you are all waiting for I guess, we either start it this Friday or next week Monday.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

8 Likes