Mod DuoX stand, was: MDX Stand?

I ordered 2 of these to try them out (have a TR8s that I’d like to tilt up as well) and they are not half bad!
Sticks out a bit too much in the back for the Duo X, but for my TR8s this is actually perfect!

Seem more solid, and don’t slip as much, as an ikea laptop stand I have. I wouldn’t stand on them, but on my desk this makes my gear much more accessible now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, sorry for the delay, this last week turned out to be very busy for me.

I thank James for the dimensions he sent me. This was of great help.

So, here’s the design that is very close to the final one. I will try to 3D print it to be sure it all works out but essentially, that’s it.

When my test print is conclusive, I will make the “.STL” files available for those of you who want to 3D print this.

I can also make some out of wood and ship to you if you are interested (I’m in Canada BTW).

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.02.04 AM

6 Likes

These look great! I’d really be interested in wooden ones, if you did go that route

Thank you a lot for this :slight_smile:

Yesterday, I made a wood stand (Cherry and Maple for the logo) as a test of my design.

I am not happy with how the logo turned out. There is not enough definition in the details but I know what went wrong and I’ll fix it in the next build.

Also, and more important, the leg is not wide enough and I think it will make the stand “wobble” in the heat of the action if someone presses too hard on the buttons of the DuoX.

So, I decided to redesign the leg with a wider support:

This is it for now :slight_smile:

Happy Easter everybody !

13 Likes

That looks very nice. Good work! It looks like raw wood without oil - so the contrast will increase a bit.

1 Like

This looks really nice. Good work!

Ok guys, that’s it !!

This is the final version :slight_smile:

I made this one in Black Walnut and Maple for the logo.

Since I don’t own a DuoX, I will need a guinea pig to test this. So if anyone (preferably in Canada) is interested, I will ship this one to you.

I will very soon post the STL files for those of you who would like to 3D print one or use a CNC to build one.

7 Likes

I’m in the uk, but happy to cover the costs!

So, for those of you who would like to 3D print the ModX Stand, here are the STL files.

I designed it with an M5 bolt and nut in mind but you can either edit the drawings or send me a message telling me the bolt format you would like to use.

I did not have time to print it myself but contact-me if you have any problems with the files.

Main Stand Part

Tightening Wheel

Leg

This was a fun project and I hope you like it.

Thanks to the Mod Device crew for your help.

7 Likes

Terrible picture quality, but I printed this out of semi-transparent/white PLA last night:

The stand seems to be most stable somewhere in the middle. The way the rubber feet fit exactly into place feels really nice :slight_smile:
I also put a little rubber mat underneath gear on my desk so it doesn’t slip and also dampens any vibrations.

Btw the hole is missing from the design, I might ‘remix’ the stand-design a bit to allow for this. Had to very carefully drill it by hand, luckily everything still works ok :wink:

4 Likes

Looks good man!

This is awesome ! Thanks for the pictures !

How long did it take to print?

What do you mean by “The stand seems to be most stable somewhere in the middle”. Does that mean there is an issue when working the controls on the sides?

Sorry about the hole, I’ll look into it and repost the STL.

1 Like

Oh, between high/low levels of the stand, ‘middle’ seems the most stable.

@Simon i’m in canada (toronto), and would be delighted to test with my duo X… are you still looking to ship it to someone in canada? feel free to PM me… :wink:

1 Like