MOD Insolvency and Reboot

Just fixed that part :slight_smile:

6 Likes

beware of a lot likes to come :smiley:

9 Likes

well - you are right. The open source part is the Linux kernel, JACK, installed tools, most of the plugins.

BUT - the infrastructure is what does count here as well.

There are two issues for the community if we want to continue:

• we do not know how to setup the pedalboard and plugin repository.
  • we do not know how to build the firmware image

I would love to see that information public.

1 Like

I think we have enough knowledge to create alternative Pedalboard and plugin repos if needed.

3 Likes

could you please share that information?

I mean: it’s there for us to use, but has to be gathered first. Look at this thread for more information

These are sad news - although not entirely surprising to me. I feel for the hole MOD team and hope they can start fresh.

I’ve backed a few things on Kickstarter across the board in the past. Most of it got released - often not as planned, lacked features. I even have stuff sitting in boxes that the infrastructure for is gone.

I always weight in risk/reward on those things. Like buying stocks. It’s easy to say having received my dwarf in the 2nd tier but it could have been easily just a glorified reverb pedal if everything else was subpar. Which in some aspects it is but in others it brings me so much fun that I can disregard that.
The forum and the team was always helpful and supportive.

And I have no doubt that even when everything shuts down the device will be working for a long time - as long you got your backups and the firmware. I still use my line6 m9 from time to time and that is 12years old.

6 Likes

Thank you Behnam! I’m in full agreement. Whatever happens with the project - and I’m hoping for the best - the community will live on.

3 Likes

I realize that there is a price tag attached, that said a Pete Thorn review might have provided a value ROI that would have been justified. It wouldn’t be the first time my pedal purchases were influenced by a demo that he did. His Soundblox Pro Multiwave Distortion demo from a decade ago made me aware of Source Audio, and I have became a fan boy owning six of their pedals -including the original Multiwave.

We should propagate the Discord server, as it is a completely independent channel free of risk of going down.

Join if you have Discord!

Meanwhile, brainstorming about making an alternative source for plugins is being done here:

If we get an independent platform up and running with

• seperate FREE plugins (since there are some things to be figured out what to do with paid plugins)
  • firmware updates
  • docu on which plugin is what and does what etc
  • documentation how to manually install plugins in the most foolproof and noob friendly way possible

Do we need to find a sponsor to set up a CMS or could this be achieved otherwise?
Please look at it from the UX perspective: If we can have the users skip compiling stuff from github that woudl be great. I’m thinking of a way to see info about the plugin, download and a step-by-step manual to install them.

I’d gladly help with creating/beautifying/ foolproofifying content

11 Likes

Excellent idea!

I’ve saying that a lot - “Excellent idea!” “Great idea!”… And not really offering to contribute. My skills were fairly limited to begin with. I’ve played guitar for +/- 60 years and with bands at the “weekend warrior” level off and on since '71 and I was an IT professional in various capacities from IBM mainframe to PC/unix/linux, LAN/WAN, etc. Never very high level at anything and quite a breadth of knowledge and expertise with not very much depth in anything.

Given all my other obligations I’m only able to offer any kind of direct support on a very limited basis. What limited applicable skills I might have seem to be covered by considerable expertise by forum participants.

I’ve just signed in (already have an account) to the discord page and I see that it’s an “unclaimed account”.

9 Likes

Guys, it breaks my hear to hear that you are having such trouble. This product is good, the philosophy is sound, and I think you have the attention of any musician in the Open Source community (and then some). Don’t forget us. We won’t be forgetting you. Come back to us when things are a little better. Stay true to the vision.

Best Wishes.

15 Likes

I do hope you’re able to get the plugin site and even the store back up — I was meaning to drop a little cash on RMPro and a couple of other things, and I’d be quite happy to still do that — it’s not like the hardware is going anywhere. I’m quite hopeful that even if the reboot doesn’t fully work out, we’ll be able to keep the devices patched and sort out some basic bugfixes as an open source project. Best of luck handling what has to have been a massively rough ride.

10 Likes

Hi folks, I’ve seen a lot of talk on here about a DIY option. This does exist already, it’s called pi-Stomp! and it’s awesome. If you wanna check it out, here’s the link: https://www.treefallsound.com/

6 Likes

What about GUI? Does it works?

The web interface works, though it’s the open source version, so no plugin store or pedalboard sharing

3 Likes

Does it really work with 5V ? Because it could mean that you can power it with a USB powerbank if you have a “USB to DC” cable. That would make this pedal usable for busking.

Wait could this work with the dwarf?!?

Yes, it does. I’ve actually powered it with a pd type powerbank.

1 Like

Meaning?