MOD Insolvency and Reboot

MODFather
Any guesstimate on when pedalboards DOT moddevices DOT com and downloads DOT moddevices DOT com might be back up?

Is this a matter of hosting space? If so, I, like others here, have hosting space I am wiling to donate for as long as is needed to ensure that the boards and plugins can be made available either by you or independent devs who want to continue creating plugins or code updates for the device.

8 Likes

@Lou0151, MOD isn’t truly an open source project. If you or someone else, in ‘the community’ were to host their system(s), you’d become privy to their intellectual property (IP). Btw, IP is pretty much the antithesis of open source …

In my view, this is emblematic of many things here. A lot could be said about this alone, but suffice it to say, there are philosophical issues here which underlay what’s occurred.

1 Like

Just a strange idea “out-of-the-box”, what about trying to sell your idea/end-product to Music Tribe as they have the capacity to carry out such productivity as they have a more linear ownership to their production-line?

1. The product can be carried out and you may even be able to expand production-line with their support.
  2. You could throw a condition that required the new “parent” company to deliver the product to backers.

@Lou0151

No. Not yet. As I wrote in a reply above:

At the moment the accounts are blocked and I cannot put them back on because I am not authorised to release any payment nor make decisions regarding the old company.

Hence, I am focusing on making the reboot happen so that I can simply reactivate the servers with the new company.

If the reboot does not happen, then I will get back here to speak about how we can release things in another manner.

10 Likes

count me in!

4 Likes

I’m absolutely gutted by this news!

I backed the MOD Duo with the extra foot switch and expression pedal. I was so impressed by it that I later took part in the Seedmatch funding (nothing big, but I believed in the product that much) and it didn’t take me long to decide to also back the Dwarf.
I haven’t received my expression pedal and Dwarf (tier 3 backer) and I was willing to wait it out, because I knew that, when it would finally show up, it would be good!

That’s one of the things that amazed me most about my MOD Duo: the quality of the product, both hardware and software. Something not many companies manage to do well both! Either their hardware is top notch, but the software sucks, or it’s the other way round! And of course, there is still a lot of room for improvement, but also only that: improvement, I never had any show-stopping issues, it never let me down.

I don’t blame any of you guys, because I’m sure you tried everything possible to keep the boat afloat. But sometimes thing just don’t work out… I also don’t understand some people’s remarks about it being obsolete when it will arrive: it’s an FX unit, not a laptop! People are still merrily using FX pedals from the 80’s and 90’s (I do, at least). It won’t stop working, because someone else makes an FX processor with a more powerful CPU…

I also think that not fulfilling the outstanding crowdfunded units would be a very bad mistake (and not just because you still owe me 2 pieces): it would leave a very bad taste in people’s mouths and it would be something that would be following you for a long time. If you fulfill them, you would instantly have created a very good reputation. Don’t fulfill and your reputation has the risk of being damaged beyond repair… Wrecking a good reputation is easy, building one is something else entirely: you can throw all the money in the world at it, it won’t become any better if you don’t keep your promises.

So I really hope this reboot works out, even if it’s under a different name: as long as the quality of MOD is there, I’ll be more than happy.

13 Likes

I really thought IP and Open Source were going hand in hand. For instance with the GNU GPL, the author of the source is still owning the IP on the source. And they precisely use that IP to impose the strict rules of the GPL on the source code to control what is done with it. Open Source is different from simply having something in the public domain.

That said, I understand that the costs of producing something like the Dwarf are quite high. Wouldn’t it have been a good strategy to add an cheaper-to-produce entry level product to the MOD catalog in the first place, that would have been a source of income and at better tool for penetrating the market ?

Something based on easy to source off-the-shelf components ? Sort of better packaged MODEP sort of thing ? That would have exposed the excellent MOD concept to larger consumer base and created a larger market for upper hand Dwarf and MODX. I suppose you thought of that @gianfranco

1 Like

Absolutely, that’s was the Dwarf :sweat_smile: at that time it was a lot cheaper to produce than anything MOD had made before

2 Likes

True.

1 Like

@LievenDV first of all thanks for your really to-the-point yet complete feedback, showing all your feelings in a respectful and super understandable way, as always.

I will not go in to answer you on everything just after reading even because a lot of the questions, doubts and/or suggestions that you are giving are not really up to me to decide. Rest assured that I personally share your opinion in quite a lot of them.
I will only answer now to this one…

The device will not stop working, simply the plugin store and any updates are currently not available. What is in your device is in your device.
If it gives you any trust, I will have quite some gigs during September with a particular project of mine and the core of my setup in that project is a Dwarf and a DuoX. Actually, we will even add more functionalities to the DuoX and (now with the SPDIF separated out) we will use it also for some backing tracks. I’m not sure if this gives you a bit more trust or not really on using it, but nothing should be wrong with that.

6 Likes

Also, did we try to approach big youtubers like Beato, Paul Davids, Mc Knight, Mary Spender, Rhett Shull, Darrell Braun etc… despite many of them seemingly being more into “real” amps, they also talk about modelers sometime (usually high end, like Kemper, or Neural DSP).

I know EytschPi42 and SuperFunAwesomeHappyTime did something about the MOD Duo, but they are not in the same league…

4 Likes

At this stage, what is the status of the MODEP project ? I don’t know too much about it, so I am asking if it would make sense that the MOD community try to get a bit closer to them in order to unite forces somehow ?

2 Likes

Yeah…well most of them have a “price tag” that would leave a few more backers waiting for their Dwarf - sorry for the directness here, but it’s just how things work.

3 Likes

Thanks @jon
You always been my “personal Mod sales rep” guy here :smiley:

Sure, I’ll still be blasting vocals and high gain guitars through a PA set tomorrow!
Let’s hope there soon is a way to access the plugins.

Heck;
I would even download the WHOLE bunch in a big pack and install them manually if necessary.
(wink wink anybody)

Now I wished I wasn’t as indeceisive and so I would have spent my €50 store voucher already :smiley:

2 Likes

I can understand that. But wouldn’t it have been worth it ?

1 Like

What are the plugins you are interested in ? I think there is a way to extract them from another unit and install them in an other one manually via SSH. I don’t have my Dwarf yet (just a Duo), but maybe other people around here have the plugins you want and would be happy to share.

Would someone like at MOD be able to provide us with a little script or something to make that operation easier ? @falkTX maybe ?

2 Likes

Don’t take me wrong, I believe these are the guys that can push quite some sales for a week or two. Now the problem is if that fits in your cash balance and cash flow.

2 Likes

Good luck with the reboot!
Love my 2 Duos 2 foot pedals and new Dwarf from Thomman, and I am also tier 3.

5 Likes

Oh man. This is sad. I’ve been on both sides of this situation more times than I care to think about. I just missed out on the Linux IPO craziness. Our mgt pulled the plug a couple days before it was time, divied up the money and split. We got old laptops as compensation instead of the $millions in options.

Startups are hard. Most fail. We can call it crowdfunding, but in the end, this is just the same as any market - you find investors and you give it your blood. Sometimes it works. Usually it doesn’t.

I hope you can reboot in some way - I’ve been kind of holding off with mine in hopes of a better workflow set up or at least good documents, and kind of waiting for a couple of things like the guitar synth stuff. I was gonna load up a few plugins, but I guess that’s on hold for a while.

So far, it has given me many hours of dial twiddle experimentation fun, and even a few Gilmour fantasies. (I admit it.)

Anyway, best of luck. I think the concept is viable, especially with a good angel.

8 Likes